HABS vs KINGS March 5

Habs30/31

Subban tied for #1 d-scoring.

Pacioretty on pace for 39.1goals 71 pts.

(whats with NHL.com stats, almost as useless as the TSN site is now)

Pacs will get 39 every year. Mr. Consistent

Guy goes completely invisible for a few games, then he'll net a goal and an assist. Basically his year in a nutshell. Only 21, but I do wonder if he's going to turn out to be the big centre we've all had wet dreams about playing for this Franchise

Most players Galchenyuk's age are fighting for top six minutes in the AHL let alone the NHL. He has nine more points than last year in two fewer games and has a pretty good chance to crack 50 points this season. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, slow and steady progress is a lot more likely to be sustained over the long-term.

As I look back at my season projections, I had him at 78 GP, 19-25-44. He's at 63 GP, 19-21-40 so he's doing better than I expected this year.

He's not going to be a point-per-game centre in this league but I'm confident he can still be a #1 guy in a few years.

Guy goes completely invisible for a few games, then he'll net a goal and an assist. Basically his year in a nutshell. Only 21, but I do wonder if he's going to turn out to be the big centre we've all had wet dreams about playing for this Franchise

He'll be decent, flashy. But yea, even his biggest fans are not talking about his future like they once did. Expectations have tamed down considerably.

Galchenyuk listed as 6'1 203lbs now, on pace for 52pts.

I fully expect that after 3rd NHL off-season training, that he is gonna get stronger, confident and be a better player next fall.

As per normal some fans unrealistic expectations for a prospect shouldn't be how he is judged.

And of course he is playing under Therrien so he shouldn't be expected to develop as he well as he would in Detroit, Anaheim or Chicago... obviously.

He'll be decent, flashy. But yea, even his biggest fans are not talking about his future like they once did. Expectations have tamed down considerably.

Not that much. 82 games with Pax and I'm still 100% sure that he'll be a 75 pts/season player.

Guest Stogey24

I hope you guys are right. Its too bad kovey isn't still around to give the kid a couple pointers. Chuck is really the only slick handed forward this team has

Not that much. 82 games with Pax and I'm still 100% sure that he'll be a 75 pts/season player.

Would be great if you were right.

His beat game as pro was playing with Pacs.

and Pacs only 3 assist night as a pro was playing with Chucky

He's not going to be a point-per-game centre in this league but I'm confident he can still be a #1 guy in a few years.

Where do you see his ceiling being point production wise?

I know hind sight is 20 /20 but at this point it looks as though it might have been better for his development if he had finished out the lockout shortened season in Sarnia and then maybe had another year in the AHL. If you look at Ryan Johansen, he went back to junior for the full year after his draft, the next season he skiped the AHL and was brought straight to the bluejackets. He played the whole season in the NHL and struggled. The next year he split time between NHL and AHL, with minimal production in the NHL and had his break out season the following year. What I'm trying to say is that Columbus realized their mistake and corrected it. I know they are not the same players but depending how the playoffs go it could be beneficial to start Galchenyuk in Hamilton next season.

When Bergevin talks about wanting to build a team that will be a cup threat every year for the long haul, I immediately think of the Red Wings and if the Wings are known for any one thing it is taking time with their prospects and letting them play in the minors till they are over ripe.

There is no doubt that Galchenyuk is better this year and his 21st birthday was less than a month ago so he is still really young. Watching him play I have a hard time believing the 205 lbs that he is listed at. The one thing I think everyone notices is that he needs to get stronger and I have no doubt that eventually he will. I know confidence is a big part of hockey and I just hope that his hasn't been diminished too much due to the path he has taken. All that said he could still finish with 25g and 25a, not exactly disappointing numbers. Rather it's the inconsistency that I think frustrates people but we have to remember that consistency is one of the toughest qualities for a young player to develop.

Where do you see his ceiling being point production wise?

I know hind sight is 20 /20 but at this point it looks as though it might have been better for his development if he had finished out the lockout shortened season in Sarnia and then maybe had another year in the AHL. If you look at Ryan Johansen, he went back to junior for the full year after his draft, the next season he skiped the AHL and was brought straight to the bluejackets. He played the whole season in the NHL and struggled. The next year he split time between NHL and AHL, with minimal production in the NHL and had his break out season the following year. What I'm trying to say is that Columbus realized their mistake and corrected it. I know they are not the same players but depending how the playoffs go it could be beneficial to start Galchenyuk in Hamilton next season.

Production wise, I'd have him as a 65-70 point guy as a ceiling. That may not sound like too much but that would have him in the 25th-35th overall range for league-wide points. He's a legitimate top liner with those numbers.

As for Hamilton next year, it's not an option. He already has surpassed the GP threshold and must clear waivers to go there next year...and we all know that's not going to happen.

Well at Galchenyk's age;

Max had a whooping 3g 14points in 52games and was considered a bust.

So we shouldnt put cart before horse quite yet!

I bet that nobody feels the blame more than Eller. You can just tell by looking at his face that he feels the weight that most are putting on him. His penalty at the end of regulation was unfortunate and unintentional. But the thing that made me happy and shows how close this team is, was when Therrien put Eller right back out there in the shootout for a chance to redeem himself. He made a great move but as true Lars luck would have it, rang the iron. So as much as most Hab fans have their pitchforks in hand ready to burn him at the stake, Therrien showed excellent leadership by giving a man a chance to right his wrong, rather than kick him when he is already down. I am quite certain that Eller will get through this rough patch and perform for us when we need him to.

That's a pretty good observation.

My thing with Chuck is not so much points. He is quite opportunistic when the chance presents it's self. I would just like to see him creating that opportunity more often. I realize that this is only his second full season, but I would like to see him create and execute some plays out there.

Production wise, I'd have him as a 65-70 point guy as a ceiling. That may not sound like too much but that would have him in the 25th-35th overall range for league-wide points. He's a legitimate top liner with those numbers.

As for Hamilton next year, it's not an option. He already has surpassed the GP threshold and must clear waivers to go there next year...and we all know that's not going to happen.

Good point about the waivers for going to Hamilton, I am not aware of all those rules.

What part of his game do you think would hold him back from being a guy that could put up 80-90 points every year? He has the hands, the shot (which I wish he'd use more often) and the vision and will likely have size/strength combo in the next few years too. 65-70 point ceiling make me think of Plek. When Galchenyuk was drafted, I think a lot of us had fantasies of a Malkin type. Was he simply over hyped, what makes Malkin that much better?

I'm not saying that Galy will end up being more than what dlbalr predicts. But what I will say is that that's a disappointment. Sure, a first-line player is always a good thing. But I would have hoped that the Habs's only top-3 draft pick in decades would become more than an average 1st-line NHLer - I'd want that pick to become a STAR. Not necessarily a superstar like Crosby, but a feared top-20 NHL scorer. If he becomes less than that, it's not anybody's fault necessarily, but it will be disappointing, to me at least.

And you wouldn't expect a 43rd pick to be a Norris winner and currently be tied 1st in d-scoring again, maybe on his way to picking up a 2nd Norris.

And why are you even worrying about Galchenyuk being a disappointment, because he is improving, still fairly young and is just in a minor slump at present.

How are his fellow 2012 top five or ten picks doing?

(Many felt same about a Carey Price when was sent to be back-up by a Halak.)

And you wouldn't expect a 43rd pick to be a Norris winner and currently be tied 1st in d-scoring again, maybe on his way to picking up a 2nd Norris.

And why are you even worrying about Galchenyuk being a disappointment, because he is improving, still fairly young and is just in a minor slump at present.

I'm not worrying, I'm just saying that I'd want our highest pick since (sigh) Wickenheiser to be a star-calibre player, not a respectable, 35th overall in scoring type, and that I'll be disappointed if that turns out to be Galy's "ceiling."

What part of his game do you think would hold him back from being a guy that could put up 80-90 points every year? He has the hands, the shot (which I wish he'd use more often) and the vision and will likely have size/strength combo in the next few years too. 65-70 point ceiling make me think of Plek. When Galchenyuk was drafted, I think a lot of us had fantasies of a Malkin type. Was he simply over hyped, what makes Malkin that much better?

The style the Habs play doesn't lend itself well to high-end scoring. If the team had a coach that employed a run and gun system, I'd adjust my ceilings accordingly. Personally, I've never expected him to be a Malkin-type player, I've always had him in that legitimate 1st line forward range but not a star.

I'm not saying that Galy will end up being more than what dlbalr predicts. But what I will say is that that's a disappointment. Sure, a first-line player is always a good thing. But I would have hoped that the Habs's only top-3 draft pick in decades would become more than an average 1st-line NHLer - I'd want that pick to become a STAR. Not necessarily a superstar like Crosby, but a feared top-20 NHL scorer. If he becomes less than that, it's not anybody's fault necessarily, but it will be disappointing, to me at least.

I wouldn't say 65-70 points is an average first line NHL'er, not in this day and age. There are only 30 or so players per year that are in that range so he's hardly average if he's in the higher-end production-wise of the 90 players that comprise front lines league wide. Go further by position and those 65-70 points will translate likely to a top-10 player at his position down the road. And, as noted above, if the next coach employs a more offensive-minded system, that offensive ceiling should rise a bit as well.

Alex won't fully evolve into a star until DD is gone. So, 50-60 pts will have to do until then. I'm not saying we should take DD out back and put him out to pasture, we still need him. But, in two years, AG will be an 80+ star

Guy goes completely invisible for a few games, then he'll net a goal and an assist.

I can't be the only one who remembers when this was the complaint about Max Pacioretty. I'm pretty sure we could find some threads in November with people complaining about Pacioretty being too inconsistent.

Top 10 in scoring for forwards in the league for the past five full seasons has been 88 points (08-09), 86 points (09-10), 77 points (10-11), 78 points (11-12) and 79 points (13-14).

If scoring stays around where it is right now, a Top 20 forward is a 70 point player (high 60s, low 70s). Mats Sundin only had six seasons in 16 full seasons (so not counting 94-95 and 08-09) in which he had more than 80 points and that was still good enough for the hockey hall of fame. Galchenyuk is playing in a less scoring era than Sundin but if he ends up a 75 point player on average, he'd be considered an elite NHL forward.

I think we all agree that John Tavares is an elite NHL forward and his best season is 81 points. This year might top that... at 82 points. And he's tied for the league lead in scoring.

Looking at the scoring leaders in the NHL, the only guys that look to be consistently over a ppg are Crosby, Malkin, Seguin and Kane. There are only about 15 players in the whole league who average around one ppg, including the four I just mentioned. As mentioned above by MoLG, 70 ish points should roughly land a player in the top 20 scorers of the league.

There's only two things I don't like in this world. People who are intolerant of others, and the Danish.

Hahahaha..good one.

My thing with Chuck is not so much points. He is quite opportunistic when the chance presents it's self. I would just like to see him creating that opportunity more often. I realize that this is only his second full season, but I would like to see him create and execute some plays out there.

Definitely

Would like to see the coach show some confidence in him and put the kid at center and let him grow as a player there............if DD got injured and was out for the season, all of a sudden MT would say "i think chucky is ready"

Give chucky forty games at center (starting now) and he'll blow dd out of the water as your number one center. Give him a hundred and forty games and we'll be sayng DD who?

just discussing it Don........ "HABS TALK"

BTW, Predicted Subban would win a norris before he played a single game for Montreal.

never doubted Carey Price for a moment. :thumbs_up: