2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I'm not against drafting another defenseman. If the BPA is a D, take him. That Reinhart kid is intriguing, but I don't know much about him. If the Shea Weber comparisons are for real, then he's tough to pass over. If you build the best blue line out there, that's a good foundation for long term success. Better than having scorers who go hot and cold and only help when they're on.

I am with you 100%..I still think this team lacks D...If we are picking out of the top 5 and Griffin Reinhart is there, we take him...He has all the tools to be the franchise type of d-man this team needs..Great mix of skill and nasty..I remember during the 2010 draft and reading that the Habs coveted Dylan Macilrath..Unfortunately, the NYR picked him at 10 , buit we still ended up with a pretty good one in Jarred Tinordi..Macilrath doesn't have the offensive upside of Reinhart..

I think, if we don't land a center just out of the top 5, then we go Reinhart and I would be ecstatic...

Reinhart reminds me of Braydon Cobourn at the same age. Not sure why, he just does.

On D, Ive got Murray, Dumba, Trouba, and Ceci all ahead of him personally.

Off the draft board, yes, but all of those guy have one thing in common..They are all offensive type d-man..We have enough skill on the blueline coming through the pipe..We need more grease..

Edited by Blonde Demon

Well I don't have any first hand accounts of any of these prospects, just what I get spoon fed around here. But I have faith Timmins will do his job and take the BPA regardless of where they pick. And I hope it works out!

But a top 3 selection would be fun, in any case.

Off the draft board, yes, but all of those guy have one thing in common..They are all offensive type d-man..We have enough skill on the blueline coming through the pipe..We need more grease..

Tinordi/Emelin are two guys who will provide that going forward. Dietz might be a third.

And Murray isn't really an offensive D, more of a two way guy. I see a bigger Wade Redden pre-cocaine days in him.

Iles got shut out by the Goose and the Leafs

Does not help.

CBJ lost

Edmonton tied at 0-0

When its a race for the basement, can't count on all the bottom teams winning, they are bottom teams for a reason.

Oiles win... so thats 50% for the night of what we wanted.

Ill take that.

we need to stop getting our own pts though....

McKeen's Mock Draft from January 23rd.

http://www.rotoworld...rom-the-corners

Has the Habs drafting Galchenyuk.

"Habs roll the dice but get a character player who can play in all situations and score"

Like I've been saying. We are unlikely to get a 'difference maker' in the draft. Good player, sure. Franchise player? No. Nobody should get too terribly excited.

Incidentally: Blonde Demon, your avatar kicks ass :thumbs_up:

<p>

"Habs roll the dice but get a character player who can play in all situations and score"

Like I've been saying. We are unlikely to get a 'difference maker' in the draft. Good player, sure. Franchise player? No. Nobody should get too terribly excited.

Galchenyuk's potential is a being a bigger, stronger version of Plekanec, with even more offensive ability; I certainly think that is a "difference maker" and is a Number 1 centre that this team needs. I think you are underrating how good this kid can be. Check what I posted about him earlier from another scout at McKeen's on the first page of this thread.

"Galchenyuk has elite skills and marries it with a competitive streak that is unrivalled by his peers. In addition to his scoring exploits, as he was the highest scoring 94 in the OHL last season with 83 points in all 68 games, he is an incredibly smart-two player. He simply hates to loose and his training regime is second to none as he is very committed off ice."

Here's a video of the kid... And remember this is all from last season, where he is a 16 year old in the OHL. 16 year old.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M5tWK459ZXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only two guys I like more are Yakupov and Grigorenko, but I would be ecstatic about getting Galchenyuk. I would probably be in line buying a Galchenyuk Jersey the next day.

Tampa wins... Habs are officially 6th pick as of now (pre-lottery)

Tied for 4th with Buffalo and Carolina, but both have played more games than the Habs.

If Anaheim wins we could move up to 5th today.... (tied for 3rd)

Redline Report (Kyle Woodlief) top 10

http://www.usatoday....port/52702624/1

One thing with Woodlief, he always has a prospect or two who he absolutely loves and rates far higher than anyone else, or a prospect he hates and drops far lower.

This year is no different. Check out Russian Goalie Andrei Vasilevski at 4th overall!

One of Woodlief's more famous high rankings (at least as far as the Habs is concerned) was 2003, when he had Andrei Kostitsyn as a top 5 pick.

That said... he's generally been decent as a scout if you take his man crushes into account.

Redline Report (Kyle Woodlief) top 10

http://www.usatoday....port/52702624/1

One thing with Woodlief, he always has a prospect or two who he absolutely loves and rates far higher than anyone else, or a prospect he hates and drops far lower.

This year is no different. Check out Russian Goalie Andrei Vasilevski at 4th overall!

One of Woodlief's more famous high rankings (at least as far as the Habs is concerned) was 2003, when he had Andrei Kostitsyn as a top 5 pick.

That said... he's generally been decent as a scout if you take his man crushes into account.

He wasnt the only one who rated Kostitsyn as a top 5 talent, and they only worry at the time was siezures he had, which is why he fell to 10th. I remember Piere McQuire ranting positively about him (which i guess is all he ever does, so goes without saying).

I think everyone seems to have favorites, as last year i thought Mark McNeil or Shiefele would fit perfect with Habs, but never had Beaulieu falling to 17th, and McNeil was still available, but time will tell if he pans out with Backhawks.

Gaunce seems to be perfect fit this year, but does he have the offense to go 8th-11th where Habs will pick? I also see Forsberg as a possibility for Hab range. But how could you pass on one more top d-man? Can you ever have enough good d-men?

LOL..Thanks..He was one of my all time favorites..Next to Robinson, of course.. ;)

A couple of standouts in that list.

Dumba 3rd overall

Malcom Subban 45th most other sites have him as a sure fire 1st rounder (If he is available in the 2nd and the Habs can take him I would)

Dumba I could very easily see being the first D off the board. He's more high risk than Murray, but also a potentially higher reward. Depending on the scout I could see him as the first D drafted. I've personally rated the D as 1/2 Murray/Dumba (interchangeable)... 3 Trouba.... 4 Reinhart.

As for Malcolm, Habs need goalies, so I would take him in the second. I've seen him ranked anywhere from late first to mid-second depending on the source. He seems to be rising though.

Dumba I could very easily see being the first D off the board. He's more high risk than Murray, but also a potentially higher reward. Depending on the scout I could see him as the first D drafted. I've personally rated the D as 1/2 Murray/Dumba (interchangeable)... 3 Trouba.... 4 Reinhart.

As for Malcolm, Habs need goalies, so I would take him in the second. I've seen him ranked anywhere from late first to mid-second depending on the source. He seems to be rising though.

He has some of the best stats in the CHL.

I wonder if Subban's bad rap around the league will scare some GM's off of him.

Maybe the Habs are doing all of this as a ploy so Malcom drops.

I wouldn't touch a player with the last name Dumba. Only because we know what people will write on every rookie error.

Non-French-speaking rookie makes another error? :P

He has some of the best stats in the CHL.

I wonder if Subban's bad rap around the league will scare some GM's off of him.

Maybe the Habs are doing all of this as a ploy so Malcom drops.

That would be such a devious plan :P