GDT: In a New York Minute: Habs @ Rangers, 7:00pm

Commandant

The Montreal Canadiens head to Madison Square Garden to face the New York Rangers on Wednesday Night. Its the NHL's marquee matchup on this U.S. Thanksgiving eve, as the two teams are battling for first place in the Eastern Conference. The game also features the two best goaltenders in the NHL, and the winners of the Gold and Silver medals at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist. Price shutout the Rangers 2-0 to take the first meeting of the year at the Bell Centre, but the Rangers, and especially Lundqvist have been red hot since the defeat. Lundqvist leads the NHL in both save percentage (.946) and goals against average 1.74.

The Canadiens have been a high scoring team all year, but scoring goals won't be easy on Wednesday. They will also have to do so without Brendan Gallagher, the Habs sparkplug was injured in Sundays game against the New York Islanders. He broke two fingers blocking a Johnny Boychuk slap shot and is expected to miss the next 6 weeks, and possibly more. The injury, which happened "in a New York Minute" dramatically alters the Habs' depth at right wing and means that Sven Andrighetto will get an extended look in the lineup. It is also a reprieve for Alex Semin who will continue to get playing time and opportunities with the injuries to the Habs forward group.

Unfortunately there are no copies of Don Henley performing the song that i can find on Youtube... however this is a good cover.

Expected Lineups

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Smith-Pelly
Fleischmann - Desharnais - Weise
Eller - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
Byron - Flynn - Semin

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Gilbert

Price
Condon

vs

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
A-Hole Kreider - Stepan - Hayes
Miller - Lindberg - Fast
Moore - Staal - Stalberg

F' Ing Gomez McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein

Lundqvist
Raantaa

• Upvote 2

Guess it's up to Desharnais to go to the net with the same consistency he has been all season, he is the one that I have noticed in front, and near the blue paint the most this season,(3 GWG from in tight) outside our wounded warrior Gally.

Big test for our D and Price tonight, but we seem to hold the Rangers offense in check the last few times we have met.

Go Habs!

I see game isn't being shown on centreice and is on SN east-Ontario (I assume regional blackouts will kick in), so is westcoast viewing kinda screwed for this one?

Pateryn should NOT be scratched.

While the injury to Gally is lamentable, I'm glad to see Ghetto getting a sustained look. I thought he was just great against the Isles, and that if he keeps playing like that, our RW problems are over.

Wow, that's ridiculous! I'm actually mad

Politics. How predictable.

Tinordi gets sent down because he did not p[lay well.

Pateryn gets sent down after playing great. Oh The hypocrisy. Nothing new about that.

"you are only as good as they want ya to be kid"

Pateryn was on for ZERO goals against in his time up.

:thumbs_down:

Politics. How predictable.

Tinordi gets sent down because he did not p[lay well.

Pateryn gets sent down after playing great.

"you are only as good as they want ya to be kid"

Pateryn was on for ZERO goals against in his time up.

I thought Pateryn was a healthy scratch, not sent down?

I thought Pateryn was a healthy scratch, not sent down?

Thanks for clarifying. Pateryn healthy scratched after playing great.

Gilbert simply hasn't been playing bad, but seems too bad for Pateryn who has looked very solid (and is no where as scary with puck as Emelin).

He is actually a better dman than Emelin or Gilbert. But that does not mean you play ahead of them.

Some teams used to have a policy. If you are a regular you can not lose your place due to injury. If they guy who took your place played better than you, well when you come back you have to be better than he was....or you are about to be healthy scratched.

But IN Montreal the politics have always ruled way more so than with other teams.

Serve them right if it comes back to bite them in ass.......as it usually does.

Was he on for 0 goals? yes.

But Gilbert playing beside him, and doing so on his off-side was also a part of that.

The Habs also heavily sheltered the Gilbert - Pateryn pairing, and gave them less minutes than is given to the pair when it is Beaulieu-Gilbert... this increases the time on ice for subban, markov, petry, etc...

Further those minutes had heavily sheltered zone starts and opposition.

So no, its not clear that Pateryn is better than Gilbert... there are a lot of factors to consider here.

Personally I'd like to see them rotate based on opponent and no one sitting in the press box too long. the two have different skill sets, but its not clear that one is better than the other.

Was he on for 0 goals? yes.

But Gilbert playing beside him, and doing so on his off-side was also a part of that.

The Habs also heavily sheltered the Gilbert - Pateryn pairing, and gave them less minutes than is given to the pair when it is Beaulieu-Gilbert... this increases the time on ice for subban, markov, petry, etc...

Further those minutes had heavily sheltered zone starts and opposition.

So no, its not clear that Pateryn is better than Gilbert... there are a lot of factors to consider here.

Personally I'd like to see them rotate based on opponent and no one sitting in the press box too long. the two have different skill sets, but its not clear that one is better than the other.

To you it is not. I Respect that.

To me is is absolutely clear.

Thanks for info dlbalr, as it seemed odd because last year had a chance to see every game (after shelling out $ for centreice) as I did when RDS was available here with every Hab game.

Guess it's up to Desharnais to go to the net with the same consistency he has been all season, he is the one that I have noticed in front, and near the blue paint the most this season,(3 GWG from in tight) outside our wounded warrior Gally.

I can't find it now, but there was an interview yesterday asking DSP what he needed to do to replace Gallagher on the first line. He answered with something like, "I can't do all that tic-tac-toe passing stuff, but I can drive hard to the net, then come up smiling after getting hit repeatedly in the head."

It isn't just driving the net, getting hit in head...Gallagher also can bury the puck and I highly doubt Pelly can drive the net as Gallagher does neither.

But hope he does his best to fill that role.