GDT Tribute: Montreal Canadiens @ New Jersey Devils

Commandant

Our Musical GDTs continue.

The Habs won a huge game on Wednesday, but with Carey Price getting injured again, it may have been a pyrrhic victory. Price is now on IR and is out for at least a week (though most analysts are betting on longer). Also injured on Wednesday was Alexander Semin. They join Brendan Gallagher and Torrey Mitchell on the sidelines. The Habs will have to find a way to continue down the road to the playoffs without these players.

As they head down that road though, a great beast appears. The New Jersey Devils.

Where there are injuries though, there is opportunity. Mike Condon played a scoreless third period to help clinch the victory over the Rangers. He was 7-2-2 when Price was out earlier in the year. The rookie gets the start between the pipes. Replacing Semin, will be George "Bud" Holloway III as the 27-year-old journeyman fulfills his dream and will play his first NHL game. He has led the SHL in scoring, and was leading the St. John's Ice Caps (and was second in AHL scoring) when he was recalled. Can he impress in this opportunity?

Expected Lineups

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Smith Pelly

Fleischmann- Desharnais - Weise

Eller - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto

Byron - Flynn - Holloway

Subban - Markov

Beaulieu - Petry

Emelin - Gilbert

Condon

Tokarski

vs

Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Kalinin-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Josefson-Matteau
Farnham-Gionta-Tootoo

Greene-Larsson
Moore-Severson
Gelinas-Merrill

Schneider
Kinkaid

Wait a minute. Holloway is named after his grandfather and his father, making him George Holloway "the third" ?!? Like Davis Love III and Robert Griffin III ?

What? I didn't know this was Holloway's first. I didn't really care to see him up, but lets see what he can do.

He didn't play with LA at any time during his entry-level deal (which played a big role in him heading overseas instead of re-signing with them). From there it was three years in Sweden plus last year in the NLA before coming back across the pond this season.

How about that Mike Cammalleri, eh? Still high up in the list of NHL scoring leaders. I know a lot of people around here hated his guts, but I for one wouldn't mind if he'd never left. Oh, well.

How about that Mike Cammalleri, eh? Still high up in the list of NHL scoring leaders. I know a lot of people around here hated his guts, but I for one wouldn't mind if he'd never left. Oh, well.

Same. One of my favourite Habs when he was on the team. A true playoff performer.

Yes! Credit to Therrien for making that call. As well as Pateryns stellar play. :thumbs_up:

Wait, I thought "politics" ruled that out??? :ph34r:

Untill now it did. :nuts:

Even the most casual fan could see Pateryn should not have been pulled for Emelin based on their play on the ice. Some were actually "mad" and stated so on this site. Then Emelin came in and proved it. Politics came first putting Emelin back in. However politics lost because there is just too wide a gap between the stellar play of Pateryn and the out right dismal play of Emelin.

The right call

Guest Stogey24

I remember that second period wondering where Cammalleri was

Even the most casual fan could see Pateryn should not have been pulled for Emelin based on their play on the ice. Some were actually "mad" and stated so on this site. Then Emelin came in and proved it. Politics came first putting Emelin back in. However politics lost because there is just too wide a gap between the stellar play of Pateryn and the out right dismal play of Emelin.

Or maybe they just don't want Emelin to play 3 in 4 just coming back from injury. Or maybe it's a rotation and Gilbert will sit tomorrow. There's nothing really to be definitively stated about the 'politics' based on the decision to play Pateryn tonight or Emelin last game as there's no guarantee this swap won't be reversed tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

He's not an option this season. He'd have to clear entry waivers if he were to sign a contract and that just wouldn't happen.

I stand corrected. It's great to have expert opinion on the forum!

There's always July 1, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

People don't appreciate the link between Cammy's departure and Markov's injury. I remember reading an article in which Cammalleri talked about coming here because he knew (partly from talking to Joe Thornton) that Markov was a 'stud' who would be able to set him up to score on the PP, which was a huge part of his game.

With Markov chronically injured, and Martin preaching defence-first, etc., Cammy ended up leading the revolt against the coach, and probably was all-too-happy to leave town.

As I argued at the time, management either should have fired JM OR it should have traded Cammy. Instead, in panic and confusion, it did both, in the most bumbling, petulant way possible to boot. The rest is history. But I question whether the whole problem would have emerged in the first place (at least, in the spectacular melt-downish way that it did) if #79 had been back there.

You'd think we could have gotten more back than the Human Turd for a damned good clutch goal-scorer. At the time, though, I'll admit to being one of those who looked at Bourque's numbers, size, and track record of suspensions (suggestive of a mean SOB) and thought that maybe this was a canny acquisition in return for a player whose value had been regrettably depressed by all the shenanigans. Habs29 was sure right to splash cold water on that!

• Upvote 1

Two ginger goalies. Scary. Thought darche was back. #52. Stupid number rook.

It didn't help that Cammalleri and Cunnyworth didn't get along at all.

Trade him or not, you don't trade him in the middle of a game against Boston. It was difficult to be a Habs fan after that.

What's a cunnyworth these days?