Mar. 30, Lightning vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Man i can't wait till your next suspension. No, actually the Habs went to the conference finals and then followed it up with a battle for first in the conference in the regular season. That's why they are contenders. Tampa hasn't won a playoff series since 2010-11, but I suppose they are contenders eh

They are BOTH good teams. Even the most casual fan can see that.

Others for some strange insecure reason just won't admit that.

Max called the lightning "well coached" (wink, snicker) :thumbs_up:

Tampa play like the Habs under Carbonneau. That style of hockey has a one round shelf life.

Maybe Ben Bishop will come out and admit he's a little girl?

Following Plekanics example? :nuts:

Well still to be seen how Bishop will play in his 1st playoff game and when Tampa coach win his 1st playoff game. :hyper:

Following Plekanics example? :nuts:

Yes, that was the implied joke!

Well still to be seen how Bishop will play in his 1st playoff game and when Tampa coach win his 1st playoff game. :hyper:

That's okay though. They swept the Habs, the coach went out "to sip a cold one" and they're all going to swim with the manatees on the Nature Coast. Just pack some PB and Js and juice boxes for the Palat-Johnson-Kucherov line.

BUT "I FEAR THEM" is all I hear! :blush:

Knuckles 'crystal ball' says Habs will lose in 1st round anyways, so Tampa is irrelevant.

Caps-Bruins-Wings could upset Habs, unlikely but not too far fetched.

Nilan is not far off. Nobody would be surprised if habs (or any other team in the east) went out in first round.

If I had to bet, I would say the Rangers are the best play off assembled team in the east and will be in the finals again.

Knuckles also stated clealy thats is the way the habs have been playing in March that concerns him. Their game has dropped off.

Prices last fantastic game was the lightning game a couple of weeks ago. The 1-0 ot loss. He was super that night, had a shut out after 60 minutes and lost. He has been good not great since that game.

Markov and Subban look tired and are playing in their own end an awful lot.

The powerplay is an after thought.

They are soft as butter down the middle.

Paps is on the first line. ouch

The last two seasons the Habs played in the play offs the same way they played in March. (one good , one not)

Last 10 games for each team:

Montreal 5-4-1

Tampa 5-4-1

Rangers 6-4

Islanders 3-6-1

Boston 4-3-3

Detroit 3-5-2

Pittsburgh 3-6-1

Washington 6-4

Looks to me like every team playoff bound in the East has their own issues as well. But let's pick apart and trash the Habs and drool over other teams.

• Upvote 1

CP will be his usual self, and our Defense will be sufficient, but then the focus will turn to the top 6..mainly DD + TP. Our top two Centers will be exposed this post-season. I hope to hell that i'm wrong, but this is how I see it

Well, at least wont have to face the Sabres or Oilers!

Or Tampa (in the first round at least). Ottawa's still a possibility which is a tad concerning when you consider the following stat:

- Montreal has a 34-11-4 record against the East this year (tops in the league).

- The Habs are just 2-9-2 against Buffalo, Tampa, and Ottawa.

- This means that the Canadiens are 33-2-2 against the other eleven Eastern teams.

Even after not playing well in this game, it's okay to have some confidence heading into the postseason.

Also, who's getting today's GDT?

Last 10 games for each team:

Montreal 5-4-1

Tampa 5-4-1

Rangers 6-4

Islanders 3-6-1

Boston 4-3-3

Detroit 3-5-2

Pittsburgh 3-6-1

Washington 6-4

Looks to me like every team playoff bound in the East has their own issues as well. But let's pick apart and trash the Habs and drool over other teams.

Picking someone else as a favorite to win east is not "trashing the habs". Nobody in hockey is picking them to win the cup this year.

Not ignoring the fact that they have played poorly.

Therrien after lightning game: "all six of our dmen played poorly" Is he trashing the habs? No just his opinion of what he watched.

Max on lightning: "really good fast team, they are well coached" Is he "drooling over the other team" nope, just his opinion of what he seen playing against them.

Habs have a shot at doing some damage with a goalie like Price. But they are not the favorite to win the east let alone the cup. You will hear a lot of that as the talking heads and sports chat sites heat up. I suggest you cover your ears if it offends you.

I suppose you think they are the favorite. Good on ya, your opinion noted. :thumbs_up:

Nilan is not far off. Nobody would be surprised if habs (or any other team in the east) went out in first round.

If I had to bet, I would say the Rangers are the best play off assembled team in the east and will be in the finals again.

Knuckles also stated clealy thats is the way the habs have been playing in March that concerns him. Their game has dropped off.

Prices last fantastic game was the lightning game a couple of weeks ago. The 1-0 ot loss. He was super that night, had a shut out after 60 minutes and lost. He has been good not great since that game.

Markov and Subban look tired and are playing in their own end an awful lot.

The powerplay is an after thought.

They are soft as butter down the middle.

Paps is on the first line. ouch

The last two seasons the Habs played in the play offs the same way they played in March. (one good , one not)

Rangers and Tampa could possibly sweep their way into a 3rd round epic series..not likely, I know, but if it could be done, it'll be by these two

Picking someone else as a favorite to win east is not "trashing the habs". Nobody in hockey is picking them to win the cup this year.

Not ignoring the fact that they have played poorly.

Therrien after lightning game: "all six of our dmen played poorly" Is he trashing the habs? No just his opinion of what he watched.

Max on lightning: "really good fast team, they are well coached" Is he "drooling over the other team" nope, just his opinion of what he seen playing against them.

Habs have a shot at doing some damage with a goalie like Price. But they are not the favorite to win the east let alone the cup.

The first quote is literally you trashing the Habs, saying nothing but negative things about a team in a battle for first in the Conference, and a team you supposedly are a fan of. The second quote is another poster who is quite fond of other teams, which is fine, but that's what I meant about drooling. I don't believe one single person on here has said that the Habs are the favorite to win the Cup, but rather they are in a group of a few teams that are. Maybe you'd like to go argue with Bodog about their odds and tell them to bump the Habs down the list to no chance in hell.

Odds to Win 2015 Stanley Cup at Bodog as of March 28 [OddsShark NHL Futures
New York Rangers 13/2
Chicago Blackhawks 15/2
Minnesota Wild 8/1
Montreal Canadiens 9/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
St. Louis Blues 10/1
Nashville Predators 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1
Los Angeles Kings 14/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1
New York Islanders 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 18/1
Boston Bruins 20/1
Vancouver Canucks 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
Calgary Flames 33/1
Winnipeg Jets 33/1
Ottawa Senators 50/1
Florida Panthers 100/1
  • Upvote 1

The first quote is literally you trashing the Habs, saying nothing but negative things about a team in a battle for first in the Conference, and a team you supposedly are a fan of. The second quote is another poster who is quite fond of other teams, which is fine, but that's what I meant about drooling. I don't believe one single person on here has said that the Habs are the favorite to win the Cup, but rather they are in a group of a few teams that are. Maybe you'd like to go argue with Bodog about their odds and tell them to bump the Habs down the list to no chance in hell.

New York Rangers 13/2
Chicago Blackhawks 15/2
Minnesota Wild 8/1
Montreal Canadiens 9/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
St. Louis Blues 10/1
Nashville Predators 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1
Los Angeles Kings 14/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1
New York Islanders 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 18/1
Boston Bruins 20/1
Vancouver Canucks 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
Calgary Flames 33/1
Winnipeg Jets 33/1
Ottawa Senators 50/1
Florida Panthers 100/1

They are picking Rangers as favorites in the east I see too.

How dare they "trash" the Habs and the other 13 eastern clubs. :rastapop:

I don't like the Habs play in March. We've struggled against playoff bound teams. Florida was a breath of fresh air because even though we didn't beat a playoff bound team, we beat a bubble team with 50% primary scoring (Plekanec, Gallagher) and 50% secondary scoring (Parenteau, Smith-Pelly). It wasn't Patches or DD or Galchenyuk or Subban/Markov carrying the offensive load for the game. We're an unbalanced team and opposition knows that. Shut down Pacioretty and Subban and the Habs cannons go without ammo. Primary scoring is supposed to carry the load but I don't like it when it looks like early 90s team scoring with two or three guys doing everything.

That said, this team has 106 points. In April, some folks around here really should stop talking like this a bubble team, which I feel is where we agree completely. This is one of the top teams in the NHL and the only people not treating them like that are Habs fans and Leaf commentators. It's irritating. We have more regulation wins against the East than any other team in the East. We lost only two regulation games to Metro division teams all year. Nobody dominated a division like that this season. We deserve more respect. Is Price a major factor? Absolutely. Everyone else needs to deal with it.

I don't like the Habs play in March. We've struggled against playoff bound teams. Florida was a breath of fresh air because even though we didn't beat a playoff bound team, we beat a bubble team with 50% primary scoring (Plekanec, Gallagher) and 50% secondary scoring (Parenteau, Smith-Pelly). It wasn't Patches or DD or Galchenyuk or Subban/Markov carrying the offensive load for the game. We're an unbalanced team and opposition knows that. Shut down Pacioretty and Subban and the Habs cannons go without ammo. Primary scoring is supposed to carry the load but I don't like it when it looks like early 90s team scoring with two or three guys doing everything.

That said, this team has 106 points. In April, some folks around here really should stop talking like this a bubble team, which I feel is where we agree completely. This is one of the top teams in the NHL and the only people not treating them like that are Habs fans and Leaf commentators. It's irritating. We have more regulation wins against the East than any other team in the East. We lost only two regulation games to Metro division teams all year. Nobody dominated a division like that this season. We deserve more respect. Is Price a major factor? Absolutely. Everyone else needs to deal with it.

Well said. Thats why the habs are 9 to 1 odd to win the cup. No secondary scoring. Rely to much on too few. Not a bad recipe for regular season success. Tall order in play offs though. Agreed

Habs get lots of respect around the league.

On this board, there is a certain contingent that sometimes allows an eminently reasonable view - that the Habs are not in very the top tier of contenders - to sound as thought it's slipping over into an obviously absurd view, namely that the Habs are walking mediocrities that have 'somehow' gotten 106 points but 'really' deserve to be 10th in the Conference or something. This is one example of a recurring tendency on boards like these, which is the habit of falling into hyperbole when making arguments under pressure.

Like I said before: a rational assessment of the evidence suggests that cautious optimism is the best attitude to take heading into these particular playoffs. We're not massive favourites to come out of the East. But we have as good a chance as (almost?) anybody else, and a better chance than many - IF Patches is healthy, that is.

• Upvote 1

Habs get lots of respect around the league.

On this board, there is a certain contingent that sometimes allows an eminently reasonable view - that the Habs are not in very the top tier of contenders - to sound as thought it's slipping over into an obviously absurd view, namely that the Habs are walking mediocrities that have 'somehow' gotten 106 points but 'really' deserve to be 10th in the Conference or something. This is one example of a recurring tendency on boards like these, which is the habit of falling into hyperbole when making arguments under pressure.

Like I said before: a rational assessment of the evidence suggests that cautious optimism is the best attitude to take heading into these particular playoffs. We're not massive favourites to come out of the East. But we have as good a chance as (almost?) anybody else, and a better chance than many - IF Patches is healthy, that is.

As I said, it mostly comes from Leaf commentators and Hab fans.

There's also the "we're not yet a contender" shouts, which are basically, "this team is not yet perfect because it does not take the pieces of every team I like better and put them on the Habs".

We're not good enough down the middle, our backup isn't good enough, our coaching isn't good enough, our defence is weak, our bottom six isn't strong enough, our powerplay is weak, we don't score enough goals, we're not strong enough, we don't strike fear in our opponents, we have no heavyweight fighters...

If we had all of these things, how many games would we have won? 60? 70? We have 48 wins with those complaints. We're one point from being the best team in the league points wise. How much better would we be with these things fixed? How is it possible to have everything in the cap era?

I have a rule when it comes to Habs talk: if your discussion is constantly unbalanced to either positive or negative (usually negative) and when you wait until results to express the other side, you're just not smart enough to analyze. You only know how to point out mistakes and celebrate results that aren't mistakes. You have zero insight otherwise. And those people go on ignore.

• Upvote 2

Habs30/31:

9/1 odds to win the Stanley cup out of 19 teams competing for playoff spots is actually pretty good, and is the 4th best odds among all teams in the NHL right now.

Let's put it this way: If 16 evenly matched teams made the playoffs, all with even odds to win, the odds would be 16/1 against any given team to win. (This can also be stated as 15:1 odds - 15 losing results vs. 1 winning result.)

At 9/1 (and unless Pacioretty is out for a while, those odds will improve over the next two games as three teams are eliminated entirely from contention), you're way better than evenly matched against the other 15 teams in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Habs30/31:

9/1 odds to win the Stanley cup out of 19 teams competing for playoff spots is actually pretty good, and is the 4th best odds among all teams in the NHL right now.

Let's put it this way: If 16 evenly matched teams made the playoffs, all with even odds to win, the odds would be 16/1 against any given team to win. (This can also be stated as 15:1 odds - 15 losing results vs. 1 winning result.)

At 9/1 (and unless Pacioretty is out for a while, those odds will improve over the next two games as three teams are eliminated entirely from contention), you're way better than evenly matched against the other 15 teams in the playoffs.

Yes i agree. 9 to 1 aint bad.

Rangers and Tampa could possibly sweep their way into a 3rd round epic series..not likely, I know, but if it could be done, it'll be by these two

This is one of the most bizarre things I've read this month. Can you name one team that's done that in the last thirty years?