Therrien's Doghouse: Pre-season Predictions

With a new four year deal in the back of his pocket, I say Therrien doubles down on the discipline, ruling with an iron fist in a glove of some other metal clad.

I also predict, for the first time we start to hear "woofs of displeasure." Bold prediction-the finishing school of Subban comes to a close with a big deal and a letter on his jersey. Nothing left to prove. I can see some players getting fed up, namely Eller, Beaulieu and Moen.

My picks for the doghouse are PA Parenteau and Nathan "N8theGr8" Beaulieu.

With Bouillon gone, the need arises for a new stool pigeon/apple polisher. My money is on Manny Malhotra.

I like your thinking Novice! :thumbs_up:

Some other person cant, or found it hard to, suck it up and admit Therrien has actually done an above average-to- very good job so far.

(but his mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries!)

• Upvote 1

I like your thinking Novice! :thumbs_up:

Some other person cant, or found it hard to, suck it up and admit Therrien has actually done an above average-to- very good job so far.

(but his mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries!)

he got his contract, lets see what happens now with Le Genie

Head coaches seem very disposable, no matter contract status or even if just signed extension.

Most are just one terrible month away from becoming a TV commentator.

Yeah, The Genius has clearly done a good job - based on the only criterion that really matters, i.e., results.

The only grounds for legitimate concern is that Eller regressed and Bournival petered out after a promising start, while neither Tinordi nor Beaulieu did anything of note. Subban also struggled by his lofty standards at times. Is he the guy to get the next wave of young talent to max out its potential? I dunno, but there's no grounds to fire him. Yet.

Why is it that people judge MT on everything but results?
If he plays the rookies for the " MT doesn't develop players" camp, he is criticized by the by the "rookies need seasoning in the AHL" crowd....
Malcontents..... all should really have NHL coaching jobs to listen to ya's ;)

The only grounds for legitimate concern is that Eller regressed and Bournival petered out after a promising start, while neither Tinordi nor Beaulieu did anything of note.

Did he though? The year before Therrien took over, Eller had 28 points in 79 games and was an inconsistent player. Last year, he had 26 points in 77 games and was an inconsistent player. Eller regressed relative to his strong lockout-shortened campaign (with Therrien as the coach) but on the whole, he's about the same player now as he was before Therrien took over.

I wouldn't be that worried about Bournival slowing down either. I was always of the opinion that his hot start was him overachieving and that he was due to come back down to earth, especially given his reduced role (often in the 6-8 minutes a game range) as the season progressed. He was never a big scorer in junior or with Hamilton and he likely won't be in the NHL either.

Yeah, The Genius has clearly done a good job - based on the only criterion that really matters, i.e., results.

The only grounds for legitimate concern is that Eller regressed and Bournival petered out after a promising start, while neither Tinordi nor Beaulieu did anything of note. Subban also struggled by his lofty standards at times. Is he the guy to get the next wave of young talent to max out its potential? I dunno, but there's no grounds to fire him. Yet.

Sorry, but let's get real - Bournival regressed...laughing a little, since when did we expect him to be the second coming of Guy Lafleur. Bottom 6.

He does not have an NHL caliber shot, many teams were letting him shoot the puck and it was obvious against the Bruins and the Rangers series.

After his concussion, he seemed to be a little apprehensive of going into the corners but he did. He has great speed but limited offensive abilities.

As far as Eller, I still disagree. Once the EGG line and then Chucky was injured, Eller didn't play with the most motivated player, Bourque.

As for Therrien, it'll be interesting to see who replaces Gallant. He needs a great communicator and someone who can mediate between the players and Therrien. I suppose the PP will only get better because Gallant is gone and better players such as Chucky and Eller hopefully will get more ice time.

Bournival had a hot start, was told he could get an apartment and then cooled down. The team should have sent him back to the AHL but they already guaranteed him a roster spot on the Habs. It was a bad position and I don't necessarily blame the Habs about it. It was a rock and a hard place once Bournival cooled off.

Eller regressed after the previous season. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. Some fans seem to think six weeks of excellence, coupled with six months of mediocrity, is all anyone can reasonably ask from this kid. The chronic mollycoddling continues.

Bournival followed a trajectory common among rookies. I don't put too much stock in it.

My suggestion was just that MT didn't seem to do anything special with the younger players last season. The contrast with the previous year, which saw Galy and Gallagher come out of nowhere, and Eller and Subban take substantial steps forward, was notable.

As critiques of MT go, then, this is extremely mild; more of a small question-mark than a criticism.

One decision Therrien made that he ended up mostly getting criticism for is taking Galchenyuk off Eller's line and having him play bigger minutes with Plekanec. People kept complaining that Plek wasn't creative enough to dish Galchenyuk the puck but Galchenyuk was playing better every game against stiffer competition. He played great against the Rangers in a top six role and I think playing with Plekanec had a part in that.