2015 Draft Weekend

dlbalr

I guess am really pulling for Merkley or Konecny now (was a Boeser 'fan')

I actually picked Kylington in my fancy mock draft for the Habs

but if skilled forward available take him.

Noah Juulsen, 50 some points as young WH\L d-man from Vancouver, solid choice I think.

Very pleased with choice, why not Merkley is only question I got? :thumbs_up:

Who?!

If you're scared it's not a crazy off the board pick haha. Juulsen jumped into the end of a lot of people's first round mocks. He caught my eye when I was looking at Scherbaks stats too.

Guest Stogey24

Ya, just read a bit about him. I've never heard of him

If you're scared it's not a crazy off the board pick haha. Juulsen jumped into the end of a lot of people's first round mocks. He caught my eye when I was looking at Scherbaks stats too.

well, IMO the draft was a disappointment for us. Not from our pick, but lack of action. I was hoping we would have used the draft to move some salary and get some picks, or trade for a scorer.

Bruins on the other hand look like they are going into the tank zone and trying to set themselves up to draft the arizona kid next year.

Quick thoughts on the draft:

- What in the world is Boston thinking? I can understand Zboril (who was still seemingly a bit of a reach) but DeBrusk went way too early and Senyshyn??? They easily could have got him later on, one would think.

- I have to admit, I was hoping Chabot. When he went, I really was hoping White would have slipped.

- Juulsen feels like a solid 'B' pick for the Habs. He doesn't have the most upside but he's a pretty safe pick. His combine height was 73.9 inches so very close to 6'2. He needs to fill out which should only help his physical game (and he already likes to hit). He profiles as a solid #4 d-man down the road and if his offensive game translates well, perhaps a bit higher.

- Even though the Habs are set on D in the NHL, their depth beyond the big club was rather weak to the point where I'd have them among the bottom few in the league. This pick will help but I wouldn't be shocked to see another one selected tomorrow.

- I'm not surprised Jeremy Roy slid. He'll go early tomorrow but he seems a bit too small for a first round d-man. I am surprised Merkley went down to #30 though. Size worked against him there...same with Konecny probably.

- It's interesting to note that no team parted with two second rounders to move up in the first. That was my preference heading in (to trade down for 2 2nd's) but clearly that wasn't an option.

On a side note, I think our Twitterbug was very popular tonight looking at the site stats. We set a new record today for visits so thanks to everyone for that.

well, IMO the draft was a disappointment for us. Not from our pick, but lack of action. I was hoping we would have used the draft to move some salary and get some picks, or trade for a scorer.

There wasn't a whole lot of trades at the draft itself though. No one really shed salary. The O'Reilly deal was a hockey move, not a salary one (and the Habs didn't have two former top-12 picks to move there) and the only other players who moved were Griffin Reinhart and Kyle Palmeiri, not game changers by any stretch.

I think the salary-shedding trades are coming tomorrow - X player for Y pick. There should be quite a few of those. It was reported earlier that teams looking to move their 2nd could get a better player than usual in return.