Sept. 25 - Avs vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD is definitely not a first line centre.

That's true. However, he's an excellent second line centre, and since the Habs run with three second lines instead of 1-2-3, that's not a horrible thing.

Even if he is not ready, Chucky has to play at centre. We simply have no choice, we are too weak at that position.

I have no problems with Chucky playing centre, but he's not replacing DD, he's replacing Eller.

Eller will remain at centre. Plekanec won't.

Right, because we want to take our offensively productive defensive genius off centre, and keep our flakey younger René Bourque play-alike -- who thus far can play neither offense NOR defense reliably -- in his place?

Eller will remain at centre. Plekanec won't.

That's a gutsy call. Short of Malhotra (whose faceoff abilities have him as a lock for the fourth line C spot), I'd say Plekanec is the next most-guaranteed to stay at C. He hasn't played the wing in an awfully long time and his role is too important to the team; I can't see Therrien wanting to tinker with that.

Plekanec can't find his wingers. Let's be creative. Why not try him on the wing?

He hasn't played the wing in a really long time. He was a centre with Hamilton coming up meaning the last time that he may have seen any meaningful time on the wing would have come between 12 and 14 years ago. When you play a position for that long, the transition isn't going to be painless. Plekanec also doesn't do particularly well when it comes to board play and as a winger, he'd be expected to do more of that. That would also force Eller into the shutdown C role; regardless of whether or not Plekanec is on his wing, it would then become Eller's role to shadow the top centres. I'm not confident giving him that role yet. And as much as Plekanec isn't always Mr. Reliable on faceoffs, his numbers will be a lot better than what Galchenyuk could bring to the table.

He hasn't played the wing in a really long time. He was a centre with Hamilton coming up meaning the last time that he may have seen any meaningful time on the wing would have come between 12 and 14 years ago. When you play a position for that long, the transition isn't going to be painless. Plekanec also doesn't do particularly well when it comes to board play and as a winger, he'd be expected to do more of that. That would also force Eller into the shutdown C role; regardless of whether or not Plekanec is on his wing, it would then become Eller's role to shadow the top centres. I'm not confident giving him that role yet. And as much as Plekanec isn't always Mr. Reliable on faceoffs, his numbers will be a lot better than what Galchenyuk could bring to the table.

I have a good feeling about Chucky. Give him the spot and he will win more than his share of face offs very fast. He is big and strong and has quick hands. I would not like to face him.

I have a good feeling about Chucky. Give him the spot and he will win more than his share of face offs very fast. He is big and strong and has quick hands. I would not like to face him.

This is true. However, that doesn't warrant wasting Plekanec on the wing.

It's not that I don't trust Galchenyuk, I think he's going to be excellent (he may not be ready for it yet, but you're at least suggesting putting him where he belongs.)

It's that Plekanec and DD are legitimate really good centers.

Eller is not. I hope he becomes one, but he's not -- and he doesn't have Galchenyuk's high end potential.

Even in junior, faceoffs weren't a strength of his. I think that was part of the reason he found himself on the wing with Sarnia.

The radio crew thought the Habs scored; for anyone watching, was it in or off the crossbar?

Plekanec can't find his wingers. Let's be creative. Why not try him on the wing?

The only way Pleks is not playing center for the habs this year is if we trade him. He is THE shut down center.

This is true. However, that doesn't warrant wasting Plekanec on the wing.

Plekanec won't be wasted. He already acts like a winger. Look at him when he enters the offensive zone: he shoots most of the time. Who knows? It might be easier for him at this stage of his career. Don't forget that it is supposedly more difficult to play at centre. Defense is the hardest.

I'm calling Sherbak gets sent back to junior after this game

He's not really here on a try-out, anyway. He's here to show him how he's gotta play to make the NHL. There was zero chance of him making the NHL this year.

Plekanec won't be wasted. He already acts like a winger. Look at him when he enters the offensive zone: he shoots most of the time. Who knows? It might be easier for him at this stage of his career. Don't forget that it is supposedly more difficult to play at centre. Defense is the hardest.

The job of a winger does not play to Plekanec's strengths.

The only way Pleks is not playing center for the habs this year is if we trade him. He is THE shut down center.

It will happen, but probably not this year. The fact he was not chosen to sport the C tells a lot about where he stands in the future of the team. This is a business and he has become expandable. Why? Because of his contract and the value he still has on the market. Other guys will play his role.

It will happen, but probably not this year. The fact he was not chosen to sport the C tells a lot about where he stands in the future of the team. This is a business and he has become expandable. Why? Because of his contract and the value he still has on the market. Other guys will play his role.

This is something I don't have an issue with. If the return is good, I could support a trade. Plekanec is 31, on the tail end of his prime. His defensive skills are such that he'll likely remain highly effective at them another 5-7 years, but his offense is going to start dropping off soon.