2013-14 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

Time to get this thread going with the playoffs underway. The big surprise so far? High scoring games. MTL-TB had 9, PIT-CBJ and ANA-DAL each had 7, while CHI-STL has 5 through just the first period. I don't think anyone saw all these goals coming.

HW's Round 1 Predictions:

Wednesday/Friday starts: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3369

Thursday starts: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3371

One bad play by the rookie on the high stick gave it to the Rangers, Flyers didn't get far in NY's zone either.
Watched the first few minutes of Sharks and Kings, man was that physical! Combined 40+ hits in first period alone...
Man I dislike the Blues, and Hitch.... Same for Ducks and Boudreau...

Pit has Columbus' number this year.

For tonight, and for me, it's go Wings go!
That's all I got.....

Detroit takes Game 1 vs the Bruins 1-0. That's a great way for that series to start.

And what a play by Datsyuk to get the goal. He's a magician.

Lucic got a $5,000 for his stick to the groin against Detroit. If anyone's wondering, that's not even the maximum allowable fine ($10,000 is).

About what I expected ( I half expected Zero penalty).

I think majority would think a 1 or several game suspension is fair.

And funny that Seabrook hits Backes exactly as Seabrook has been smoked several times and also knocked silly. Hawks are trying to play 'gritty/chippy' and it aint working.

Mackinnon is insane. The Avs are like the Penguins, one of those franchises that always manages to scoop up a generation-defining superstar. :angry: For some reason organizations like that bug me.

Personally, I'd rather see the Habs play Detroit than Boston. What an exciting, skilled, original six match-up that'd be - and one that I don't remember seeing in my lifetime. As a hockey fan, I think that's one ya gotta pull for. Talk about mystique! Add to that the bonus that it might start to devalue the bullying "Boston model" and perhaps contribute to shifting NHL culture toward fast-skating skill, it's a no-brainer. However, in terms of our narrower interest as Habs fans, either match-up would be really tough. I think I'd prefer Detroit if only because the odds of our players being deliberately injured seem lower.

EDIT: what the hell is going on in San Jose??

EDIT: what the hell is going on in San Jose??

As far as I can see, they built themselves to beat the Kings. Guys like Torres and Brown are scoring goals and getting right underneath LA's skin. It's the bottom six that's winning the game, not the top six. LA has also prided itself on being a "carrying the puck is better than hitting/blocking shots" and SJ's game is turning them into a low shooting, heavy hitting team.

Two games in, the West looks unbalanced with 2-0 leads in every series. Over in the East everything is a 1-1 tie except one series.

As far as I can see, they built themselves to beat the Kings. Guys like Torres and Brown are scoring goals and getting right underneath LA's skin. It's the bottom six that's winning the game, not the top six. LA has also prided itself on being a "carrying the puck is better than hitting/blocking shots" and SJ's game is turning them into a low shooting, heavy hitting team.

Two games in, the West looks unbalanced with 2-0 leads in every series. Over in the East everything is a 1-1 tie except one series.

You call it unbalanced, I say the home team won their games. That being said, I can easily see some series going 3-0 in a hurry. :)

A really cool story out of Colorado: Joey Hishon, their 1st rounder in 2010, will make his NHL debut tomorrow. He missed nearly two full calendar years dealing with a concussion and it was believed just a short time ago that the side effects might never subside to the point where he could return to playing. Best of luck to him, I'm glad he's going to get his chance.

Cooke should be booted from the league. Enough chances.

I think they have to look at a lifetime banishment at some point. The NFL concussion lawsuit changed the landscape. If someone gets concussed and develops CTE from a future Matt Cooke dirty hit, isn't the league liable? They know he's been suspended and fined close to ten times. How many chances are too many? Is he just going to continue injuring players and doing his time in small bursts of games? This isn't the way discipline works.

Was at the Columbus vs. Pittsburgh game last night - unreal experience. The only problem with playoff games is that they make going to regular season games so boring, haha. It took me 5 years to match the playoff game I went to in 2009, I don't think I'll ever top this one unless they ever make a Cup final and I spend my yearly sports budget on that one game, haha. Of course, I'd love a chance to see Montreal vs. Columbus in the playoffs someday and experience an away-type atmosphere. The Jackets are great to have around, but Habs all the way!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Malkin & Crosby are just warming up.

Love Malkin firing backhand, as backhand seems just a skill of elite scorers (a la Kane roof-job vs Minni)

Funny to see -5/-6 for Crosby/Kunitz and easily the 2 worst +/- on team.