Gorges dealt to Buffalo

dlbalr

Me thinks you overrate Josh's puck skills, but don't like crapping on him for all the bruises suffered and years of low-maintenance cheerleading he has done for CH.

Good luck with Sabres and no one will forget your snub of Leafs, beauty parting shot.

Discussions like this prove people don't watch other teams much. If Gorges was a third pairing defenceman (which is what a 5/6 is), we would be ripped apart every time he was on the ice against top six lines. Anyone remember when Montreal tried Ryan O'Byrne with Andrei Markov? It completely crippled Markov. He had to babysit O'Byrne all the time and play double duty on the defence. That doesn't happen when Gorges plays with Subban. You don't win a Norris trophy being bolted down by a third pairing defenceman.

Montreal has a top three defence in the East. Go look at the Metropolitan division and come back to me. Only the Rangers compare there, and only the Bruins compare to us in the Atlantic. We don't have a good defence by putting third pairing defencemen against top six lines for 20 minutes a night.

Me thinks you overrate Josh's puck skills, but don't like crapping on him for all the bruises suffered and years of low-maintenance cheerleading he has done for CH.

Good luck with Sabres and no one will forget your snub of Leafs, beauty parting shot.

Meh. If I had my way, we'd clone three of the guy in your Avatar and put them on the blue-line paired with Markov, Subban, and Gilbert... Lyle#1, Lyle#2, and Lyle#3.

Didn't I read an analysis somewhere that Gorges had the second-best outlet pass on our defence, after Subban? Could be my senile memory fooling me again.

Weaver is not a replacement for Gorges, because Gorges is significantly better than he is at those skills.

I don't think Gorges is as banal as some posters on here think. But whether Gilbert + some combo of Weaver/rookie will adequately replace him is another question. It's certainly not as though Josh Gorges is some irreplaceable asset.

I don't think Gorges is as banal as some posters on here think. But whether Gilbert + some combo of Weaver/rookie will adequately replace him is another question. It's certainly not as though Josh Gorges is some irreplaceable asset.

That's where I stand. I also think Tinordi will provide what Gorges did plus in about two seasons. Gorges would have still been making $3.8M for two more years at that point.

That's where I stand.

Same.

I also think Tinordi will provide what Gorges did plus in about two seasons. Gorges would have still been making $3.8M for two more years at that point.

I hope so. I suppose we won't know if we don't get him ready.

Didn't I read an analysis somewhere that Gorges had the second-best outlet pass on our defence, after Subban? Could be my senile memory fooling me again.

Sure, as long you count Gorges leaving the puck behind the net for Subban as an outlet pass...

• Upvote 2

Discussions like this prove people don't watch other teams much. If Gorges was a third pairing defenceman (which is what a 5/6 is), we would be ripped apart every time he was on the ice against top six lines. Anyone remember when Montreal tried Ryan O'Byrne with Andrei Markov? It completely crippled Markov. He had to babysit O'Byrne all the time and play double duty on the defence. That doesn't happen when Gorges plays with Subban. You don't win a Norris trophy being bolted down by a third pairing defenceman.

Montreal has a top three defence in the East. Go look at the Metropolitan division and come back to me. Only the Rangers compare there, and only the Bruins compare to us in the Atlantic. We don't have a good defence by putting third pairing defencemen against top six lines for 20 minutes a night.

Didn't Subban win the Norris while also playing with Bouillon for a stretch?

Sure, as long you count Gorges leaving the puck behind the net for Subban as an outlet pass...

Good one (and the idiot you reference is quite a piece of work isnt he)

Didn't Subban win the Norris while also playing with Bouillon for a stretch?

That was in the beginning when Therrien was still playing Subban on the third string defensive line because Raphael Diaz was still glowing from his temporary offensive production with Markov.

Being clueless dosent stop PJ Stock, Milbury, Cherry, Maclean and many media personalities from spoutin off as if is the gospel.

Going to miss Gosh Georges on the blueline. He gave his heart and soul everynight.

He saved his career by saying no to the Leafs. Gosh has to much class to ever put on a Leaf sweater.

The organization sucks and has destroyed many good players.

Shannahan is just the next sacrifical lamb being lead to slaughter.

He will have a chance to continue to grow in Buffalo and not be destroyed playing at the ACC.

Good Luck.

One thing for sure, if I attend the first game Gorges is back at the Bell Centre, I'll be the first one up for a standing ovation when he hits the ice for his first shift.

• 2 months later...

I bring this topic up now because it has been a while since the rather shocking giveaway of Josh to the Sabres, I understand the why but, I just want to say that in every interview, and there have been lots, he has acted with the utmost class in a very difficult situation. He considered himself a Hab first and a hockey player 2nd. Don't see that a lot in this day and age of the Benjamins. He was genuinely shocked that he couldn't be a Hab anymore. He thought he had found his home. He has never said a bad word about the club, he has repeatedly thanked the club and has said he has no bad feelings. He absolutely would have been a great Captain. I do understand the reasoning behind the move and I do agree with it but there are certain players who transend the normal "I am a hired gun hockey player" and he is one. It may have been the right logical move but it will have a detrimental effect in the short term. Best of luck to you Josh. You were one of a kind.

Heart and soul guy for sure. He sometimes got dismissed because he was overpaid and because he was possibly over-used, being treated as a 4th defenceman when in fact he is one of the best fifth d-men in hockey (but not a legitimate 4th defenceman on a strong team). But an absolute warrior who deserves nothing but respect and gratitude for his contributions from all Habs fans.

• Upvote 1

Heart and soul guy for sure. He sometimes got dismissed because he was overpaid and because he was possibly over-used, being treated as a 4th defenceman when in fact he is one of the best fifth d-men in hockey (but not a legitimate 4th defenceman on a strong team). But an absolute warrior who deserves nothing but respect and gratitude for his contributions from all Habs fans.

Agreed.

But hockey is a business.

And I have a hard time seeing how Josh Gorges was worth $2M more than Mike Weaver, and I believe Bergevin saw the same thing.

I understand the business aspect, in a cap system especially. In a sense, I actually like the deal if only because it shows that Bergevin is willing to be utterly unsentimental and ruthless, which I believe is a crucial trait of winning GMs. One suspects that his predecessors would have been leery of mucking with the chemistry (which amounts to a version of mollycoddling player sensibilities) or too sentimental about his manly hockey virtues to cut the cord. Not so Bergy. If you're too expensive or don't fit into the long term plan, man, he will slit your throat without apology. And I think that ultimately sends a message that the ONLY thing that counts is building a winner.

It remains to be seen how much we will miss Gorges, who was a crucial part of our defensive identity. Will Gilbert + Weaver represent an upgrade, a more balanced blueline at a more efficient rate? Or will the loss of Gorges' shot-blocking and leadership prowess prove more significant? There's an element of gamble in what Bergy did here too. Be interesting to see it play out.

I understand the business aspect, in a cap system especially. In a sense, I actually like the deal if only because it shows that Bergevin is willing to be utterly unsentimental and ruthless, which I believe is a crucial trait of winning GMs. One suspects that his predecessors would have been leery of mucking with the chemistry (which amounts to a version of mollycoddling player sensibilities) or too sentimental about his manly hockey virtues to cut the cord. Not so Bergy. If you're too expensive or don't fit into the long term plan, man, he will slit your throat without apology. And I think that ultimately sends a message that the ONLY thing that counts is building a winner.

It remains to be seen how much we will miss Gorges, who was a crucial part of our defensive identity. Will Gilbert + Weaver represent an upgrade, a more balanced blueline at a more efficient rate? Or will the loss of Gorges' shot-blocking and leadership prowess prove more significant? There's an element of gamble in what Bergy did here too. Be interesting to see it play out.

I think in the short term we will miss him but in the long term you are right Zoot Suit made the right (though tough decision). Ya gotta break eggs to make an omelet

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Gorges was a solid team player and his penalty killing will be missed. The problem is Gorges was a fringe top 4 d-man and he's paid too much to be a number 5 D-man. Plus Beaulieu,Tinordi,Pateryn, and Nygren are all itching for a roster spot...

From what I saw today, Gorges is a much better option than Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn, Gilbert dosent seem a shot blocking type and can Weaver play 20+minutes.

But, still a good move long term shipping Gorges out and allows balance on backend.

Guest Stogey24

From what I saw today, Gorges is a much better option than Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn, Gilbert dosent seem a shot blocking type and can Weaver play 20+minutes.

But, still a good move long term shipping Gorges out and allows balance on backend.

A training camp scrimmage tells nothing. Each of those rookies are also around 3 millon dollars cheaper.

Josh Gorges reminds me of Andrew Ference, Mark Stuart or Bryce Salvador. Really steady "team first" guys that are overvalued and easily replaced. For as much as we all liked Gorges, he doesn't excel in the way that Markov and Subban do. What he brings is easily replaceable. I'm also sure that the boys in the locker room will be relieved by the absence of his "Mc Man" rah-rah routine.