Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

Joking aside, my concern from past drafts is that Timmons can't judge the big boys, and MT is pushing him to be something he's not. These definitely aren't Timmmons picks

McCarron

Crisp

Learn out

Big Junior A dope at 10?

Canadiens draft picks made by Timmins before MT/MB came aboard:

- Ryan O'Byrne (6'5" 230+lb defenceman with no defensive sense) in the third round

- Jimmy Bonneau (6'3" 200lb QMJHL goon with multiple 200+ PIM seasons) in the eighth round

- Kyle Chipchura (6'2" 200lb centerman with a 48 point season in his draft year in 64 games) in the first round

- Cameron Cepek (6'2" 180lb defenceman known for head hunting) in the seventh round

- Andrew Conboy (6'4" 200lb USHL goon) in the fifth round

- Jarred Tinordi (6'6" 220lb defenceman who fought everything that moved his first year in OHL) in the first round

So yeah, this idea of Timmins suddenly picking big guys with grit isn't true. Out of that the only guy with true NHL potential is Jarred Tinordi. What makes Crisp and Lernout seem special is that they were off the board picks and so far Crisp looks to have been a smart selection.

Canadiens draft picks made by Timmins before MT/MB came aboard:

- Ryan O'Byrne (6'5" 230+lb defenceman with no defensive sense) in the third round

- Jimmy Bonneau (6'3" 200lb QMJHL goon with multiple 200+ PIM seasons) in the eighth round

- Kyle Chipchura (6'2" 200lb centerman with a 48 point season in his draft year in 64 games) in the first round

- Cameron Cepek (6'2" 180lb defenceman known for head hunting) in the seventh round

- Andrew Conboy (6'4" 200lb USHL goon) in the fifth round

- Jarred Tinordi (6'6" 220lb defenceman who fought everything that moved his first year in OHL) in the first round

So yeah, this idea of Timmins suddenly picking big guys with grit isn't true. Out of that the only guy with true NHL potential is Jarred Tinordi. What makes Crisp and Lernout seem special is that they were off the board picks and so far Crisp looks to have been a smart selection.

You're missing my point-all of those guys suck. The book is still out on Tinordi.

Nice team breakdown Commandant.

I am a bit more pleased with Habs 2nd pick, fills a need in system, but only time will tell if he ever makes it higher than AHL?

25% chance as a 3rd rounder I think is about average who make NHL.

You first said they "Weren't Timmins picks" and now you're saying hey, it's Timmins picks and they sucked.

Ok...the picks I listed were from this year and last year. The picks you listed were over the course of 7-10 years. Ergo, Timmons picking truculent galoots is because of Bergevin.

Ok...the picks I listed were from this year and last year. The picks you listed were over the course of 7-10 years. Ergo, Timmons picking truculent galoots is because of Bergevin.

So even though Timmins has picked "truculent galoots" throughout his entire drafting tenure in Montreal, the moment Bergevin comes in, the picks he makes now are because of Bergevin?

I agree his record is quite spotty when taking big and mean players but I have no doubt in my mind that Timmins wanted Mike McCarron and felt he wouldn't be available in the second round unlike DLR and Fucale.

So even though Timmins has picked "truculent galoots" throughout his entire drafting tenure in Montreal, the moment Bergevin comes in, the picks he makes now are because of Bergevin?

I agree his record is quite spotty when taking big and mean players but I have no doubt in my mind that Timmins wanted Mike McCarron and felt he wouldn't be available in the second round unlike DLR and Fucale.

His record drafting bigger players is awful.

Lernout was ranked as the #52 overall North American skater by Central Scouting and the Habs got him as the #56 overall N.A. skater taken in the draft. It wasn't "off the board" according to those rankings.

Cant lie, love the Lernout signing and saw him as one of my favorite targets @87th.

And only question is;

is he a better prospect than his teammate Brycen Martin

Blake Siebenaler-Niagra, Alexis Vanier-Baie Comeau or Ben Thomas-Calagary?

I also was pulling for Gregoire-Hudons' teammate Alexis Vanier @87th, very similar d-man to Lernout, big-fights-bit of puck skill (with 15goals)

Oh well, see how Vanier pans out for San Jose.

Sheldon Souray had a profile similar to Lernout coming out of the WHL. 6-4 tough guy defenseman with a heavy shot who only had 9 points in 42 games his draft year. Who knows? Souray was taken around the same point of the draft and came from the same part of the country I believe.

Edited by raphael

Sheldon 'pylon' Souray was great in some ways, but I think just lacked the Hockey IQ part and injuries derailed him also.

Sheldon 'pylon' Souray was great in some ways, but I think just lacked the Hockey IQ part and injuries derailed him also.

I really liked sheldon, that forking shot of his scared most goalies. I loved it when they put him in on the shootout and he faked the slapper on the goalie and tapped it in. I fell down laughing. He was also one tough customer.

Yes, just he never saw a head-fake he couldn't resist going for.

But, he was super player for couple years and his grit is lacking in current Hab d-group.

Liked Souray's character, and was he ever a badass when he first came up through the Devil's system. Kept breaking hands on heads though, and it hurt him in the long run. That shot, and how he intimidated the opposition was priceless!

Sort of why I was fond of drafting a 6'4"/5" Lernout, Alexis Vanier-type with later pick (even though that 'type' has low probability of NHL career, as Commandant has rightly noted).

Habs simply don't have that player(s), aside from Tinordi, in whole system.

Dietz, Ellis and Thrower are all willing to stand up for teammates; but lack the X-large frame to move forwards away from Price and put em on their ass, a la Mr.Murray.

Why I am quite pleased with both Lernout and Koberstein choices.

Habs simply don't have that player(s), aside from Tinordi, in whole system.

Which is also part of why I believe the priority on developing a defenseman should go to Tinordi, not Beaulieu.

I don't believe basing an entire team on being able to bully the other guys after the whistle (See a certain division rival of Montreal's that appropriately wears yellow), but you do need a couple players with that type of size on your roster, and they can't be just goons. They have to be players skilled enough that they could do their job without the gigantism.