2016 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

Bleackley goes at 144 to St. Louis. I would have preferred him to Staum. (Nolan Stevens, who went right after Staum, was a target of mine as well.)

Max Fortier is still on the board. He'd be a decent pick at 160.

I'm OK with the Habs first 3 picks, but after that they get a little suspect to me. This is what I would have done instead.

124. Tim Gettinger LW (Conner Bleakley C, Aapeli Rasanen C, and Eetu Tulola RW were also better picks IMO)

160. Matthew Phillips C - The scouting report on this guy reminded me of Gallagher. Small heart and soul guy with skill. (Nikolai Chebykin LW also intrigued me)

187. Dmitry Sokolov RW (Travis Barron LW was also still there)

I'm OK with the Habs first 3 picks, but after that they get a little suspect to me. This is what I would have done instead.

124. Tim Gettinger LW (Conner Bleakley C, Aapeli Rasanen C, and Eetu Tulola RW were also better picks IMO)

160. Matthew Phillips C - The scouting report on this guy reminded me of Gallagher. Small heart and soul guy with skill. (Nikolai Chebykin LW also intrigued me)

187. Dmitry Sokolov RW (Travis Barron LW was also still there)

How many times have you seen Staum and Henriksson play? How do you know those were better picks than these guys?

How many times have you seen Staum and Henriksson play? How do you know those were better picks than these guys?

You are correct sir. I've never seen these guys play, and even if I had I wouldn't even know how to evaluate them. I'm not a scout, I just go by scouting reports. Considering that the players I had mentioned were not only ranked higher (by professional scouts and people who know more than me about prospects), but also had better scouting reports I assume they would be better picks. I made my picks using the information at hand. Anything is possible though. There are always surprises in every draft and scouting isn't an exact science so the scouts could be wrong as well.

So you saw all 200+ kids drafted and are qualified to comment on each and everyone?

So you saw all 200+ kids drafted and are qualified to comment on each and everyone?

No, but i have seen many of them, probably 80%+ ... and I've never said "this guy was a bad pick" when I haven't seen the player play.

I have no idea how Henrik Arvidsson is. But I'm not going to say that Timmins made a bad pick cause i wanted Otto Makinen (who went undrafted). I have no idea, Arvidsson may be better.

When it comes to the kids i haven't seen, I trust the actual NHL scout, over the guy who is "professional" cause he writes a prospect report.

As much as i see and as many reports as i do, I still don't think I'm better than Trevor Timmins and co.

Different draft strategy;

Bruins; first 3 picks from USA U18 team.

Arizona gets Dineen, Nashville - Girard, Calgary - Fox and Habs get their version of small quick d-man in Mete.

Habs trade their 7th next year to Winnipeg for 187, select Swedish D Arvid Henriksson. NHL has him at 6'3, another site at 6'5. And back to writing I go...

An article in La Presse this morning by Marc-Antoine Godin (low profile, but solid writer in my opinion) about European draftees.

Says that Christer Rockstrom, European Habs' scout, insisted for the team to make a trade and grab a 7th round pick.

He pushed Timmins on picking Arvid Henrikson. On draft day, Timmins said that they felt like he was sliding under the radar. Says that his style is similar to Jonathan Ericsson and believes that he has a great potential. Didn't want to make him eligible to next year's draft and risk seeing a team draft him in the 2nd/3rd round.

Other content of this article : words on former Habs Pribyl, Lukas Vejdemo and reasons why Habs were reluctant about drafting Euros a few years ago (# of years before they have to let a player go or sign him).

(in French) http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201607/05/01-4998307-le-ch-secouera-t-il-sa-guigne-europeenne.php

• 3 weeks later...

Was just looking at Victor Mete, and he bears a striking similarity to Brian Campbell. 5'10 offensive defenseman, fluid skater. Even his first two years of junior are nearly the same points wise. We're talking a guy who was only 4 points shy of tying teamate Juolevi who went 5th overall. We could have a real steal here. I hope the rest of his career matches up to Campbell's! The only reason Campbell isn't more talked about is his massive contract.