Budaj, Holland traded for Eric Tangradi

BCHabnut

another bonus is that tangradi can be shuttled back and forth to Hamilton all season without clearing waivers. the way I see it is he's a bigger, younger, cheaper travis moen. he'll be getting the call soon enough.

Not exactly. When you clear, you're exempt to go back and forth for 30 days, not the full year. If those 30 days have elapsed, you can still be exempt for 10 games or 30 days on an emergency recall. After that, you have to clear again. If the first 30 days have elapsed and he's not an emergency recall, he has to clear when going back down no matter what.

For example, he gets recalled on November 1st as an emergency recall. If he plays in 10 games or is on the roster for 30 days straight, he will have to clear waivers to go back down. If he plays for two weeks and only a handful of games, he can go down without waivers.

There are instances where a player will clear waivers in the preseason and get claimed later in the year.

Also the reason why we had Tangradi so fast in Hamilton was because Winnipeg had already put him on waivers and he cleared. He'd need waivers to clear to goto Montreal.

He wouldn't need waivers to go to Montreal now.

• Upvote 1

Got to trust Bergevin on this one, especially if Budaj wanted to be traded and it's a part of an overall plan to unload bad contracts.

Budaj is the ultimate backup though, and it's another blow to a dressing room that has lost a lot of leadership this summer.

Got to trust Bergevin on this one, especially if Budaj wanted to be traded and it's a part of an overall plan to unload bad contracts.

Budaj is the ultimate backup though, and it's another blow to a dressing room that has lost a lot of leadership this summer.

They simply did not want to lose Tokasrski, sending Buds to Hamilton could be seen as an insult. Holland was going nowhere and they got a big body to call up when needed. Rather than send Buds to the minors they traded for a guy who is in the minors. Very smart thinking on his part ans shows that he had respect for Buds.

He'll replace Blunden basically.

Peter Budaj will be the Jets starter by January.

I hope not, for Budaj's sake. He's been a solid backup but no longer good as a starter. Let him play 15-20 games a year but tst should be it. Otherwise he may not have a good ending in Winnipeg.

Gionta, Gorges and Budaj were leaders last year but I think its clear, to at least MB, that a new regime has taken over. Price, Subban and Pacioretty are the leaders now and they still have Markov, Plekanec and Moen as veterans in the locker room. There's no need to worry.

Guest Stogey24

Gionta, Gorges and Budaj were leaders last year but I think its clear, to at least MB, that a new regime has taken over. Price, Subban and Pacioretty are the leaders now and they still have Markov, Plekanec and Moen as veterans in the locker room. There's no need to worry.

Prust, Malholtra, Weaver, Gilbert... they're all vets. Malholtra is an under rated player in my eyes, he's going to be good for Montreal this year

Prust, Malholtra, Weaver, Gilbert... they're all vets. Malholtra is an under rated player in my eyes, he's going to be good for Montreal this year

Yep, all vets and leaders of sorts in their own right, Habs will be fine for leadership I'm sure.

Also, I think Bergevin did Budz a bit of a solid, and he is going to be respectful of players, because he was a journeyman himself I guess.

You make it sound like the HABS are PeeWee players, they just traded Budaj.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of leadership today's professional athletes need.

They have the coaches, sport psychologists, nutritionists, and various advisers.

Good trade for the HABS, they kept a younger sub and got some cap relief in a bad goalie market.

I hope not, for Budaj's sake. He's been a solid backup but no longer good as a starter. Let him play 15-20 games a year but tst should be it. Otherwise he may not have a good ending in Winnipeg.

It's more likely that Hutchinson becomes the starter, but Budaj is a better goalie than Pavelec today.

You make it sound like the HABS are PeeWee players, they just traded Budaj.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of leadership today's professional athletes need.

They have the coaches, sport psychologists, nutritionists, and various advisers.

Good trade for the HABS, they kept a younger sub and got some cap relief in a bad goalie market.

If you don't think young players today need leaders and mentors, consider the disaster that has been the Edmonton Oilers.

But that being said, what's transpiring in Montreal has been less the destruction of leadership than its transfer to a core of 'young veterans' (Patches, DD, Price, Subban), keeping in mind that we also have a well-established core of older vets (Pleks, Markov, Prust). Budaj was not part of ANY 'leadership core' no matter how you slice it. So without denying that pro athletes benefit from leadership in the room, I don't think the current Habs are up the creek in this respect, not by any means. And if we are, Budaj has nothing to do with it either way.

Hamilton seemed to be a good example of no vet leadership.

They would play OK on the road and simply sucked at home and add in Nygren's comment that 'players were more concerned with dating the ladies than hockey' (which as early 20 something year old guys, is darn normal).

But without solid veteran leadership in dressing room, things can go off the rails.

But, I don't think it will be a big deal given Montreals' roster makeup.

If you want to see a team with no veteran support, look no further than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ever since they traded Beauchemin and Giguere I've been railing at Leafs fans about their lack of leadership. How guys like Mike Komisarek and Dion Phaneuf wasn't the right kind of veteran support. How having a Logan's Run team of under 30 year olds was a recipe for disaster. Every time they denied it.

If you look at the Leafs in the past five years, you'll see several seasons where one half of the year they play great and another half they fall apart. Why?

NO VETERAN LEADERSHIP.

There is no data for it and maybe it's one of those things that'll get proven wrong years down the road but guys who have played for 10+ seasons or guys that are in their 30s have a tendency to play a more consistent game when there's pressure. It's not they play better, but they are less likely to have wild, varied performances. You need those kind of guys to show the youngsters how to play in the face of adversity. I think when Gainey added guys like Gill, Mara, Spacek, Gionta, that was the goal. Give the kids guidance. That's why the team was able to win games they shouldn't have against younger, more skilled teams.

The reason I'm not bothered by the loss of veterans as of late is because we have a large amount of players in their early 30s. Guys like Markov and Plekanec are on the roster and have played on this team for a decade. Adding Manny Malhotra shows the team isn't afraid to bring in veterans (we could count Briere as well). Veterans are important. It's just you don't need a roster FULL of them. Just enough long term guys to show you can play in Montreal long term, and enough guys who have been to the Cup finals and know how to play in the playoffs.

I could see Minnesota picking up Budaj.

I can't see that happening. They have Kuemper and Backstrom to start the year and released Bryzgalov (though he may yet sign a two-way deal). Between that and Harding on IR, they have enough goalie depth to start.

With Budaj getting waived now, it further hammers home the point that Tangradi was not a player that the Habs wanted in the trade but rather took on to offset money going the other way in lieu of retaining salary.

With Budaj getting waived now, it further hammers home the point that Tangradi was not a player that the Habs wanted in the trade but rather took on to offset money going the other way in lieu of retaining salary.

Why can't they also want the player?

Sad to see Budaj go. he was a good back-up. But after what happened last spring, I wasn't surprised to hear that Budaj asked for a trade.

Why can't they also want the player?

They don't like paying big money to minor leaguers, it's part of the reason they never go after the top AHL free agents. If they don't want to pay $350,000 for an elite AHL'er, they're not willingly going to choose to pay twice that much for a 2nd/3rd line AHL'er.

They don't like paying big money to minor leaguers, it's part of the reason they never go after the top AHL free agents. If they don't want to pay $350,000 for an elite AHL'er, they're not willingly going to choose to pay twice that much for a 2nd/3rd line AHL'er.

That seems to have radically changed this year. I think they currently have $1.6M locked up in four players in Hamilton.

Great news. Tokarski earned the spot,no question about it. The potential to have the best goaltending duo in the NHL is

now possible. Dustin Tokarski is only going to get better. It is so positive. Price gets the best back up around and also a little push

to keep playing his best....or else......

The leadership will come as the season progresses.

Will the Habs pull off one more quick trade??