Apr. 9, Lightning vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Like seeing Patches get the 30th. The players were definitely looking for him to get it. Most excited about Galchenyuk getting it though since it sets a precedent.

Not a great third period but all in all, an enjoyable way to end the season. I must say, I didn't expect either of Galchenyuk/Pacioretty to get two tonight, let alone both of them.

A good touch to a bad season. Now all we need is a little luck. I wouldn't mind Laine or Puljujarvi either :nuts:

I was actually excited when Galchenyuk got his 30th; probably the first time I've felt any positive emotion watching a Habs game in weeks. I think we can FINALLY put to rest any concern about Galy at C, and whether he is a legit first-liner. The only question now is how good he's gonna get.

I'd feel happier for Pacioretty if the 'Subban on the block' rumours didn't seem to be connected in some way to the supposed tension between him and Subban. But anyway, good for Max.

The Lightning were total no-shows tonight. It was a joke. Basically, a motivated AHL team against an unmotivated AHL team. A nice little gift for the fans in attendance, however; certainly the Bell Centre faithful deserved a finale like that.

Two forwards with 30 goals, new first line centre, Subban controversy, draft position watching, injuries... welcome back to 2012 everyone!

Does that mean the third overall pick is upcoming too?

Guest Stogey24

It's funny what happens when you put your best players on the same line. Too bad it took Therrien so long to figure it out.

Yes put 3 of top 4 players on a line, finish season going 5-5 in last 10 (14-16-2 since Feb), look real good vs a team resting and missing all its top players, but a 41-41 record will not get you into playoffs.

So not sure what exactly got figured out, can you dumb it down for me?

Anyways, if he has it figured out...then no sense firing him and next year will be quite something under his coaching.

Go Habs Go!

Guest Stogey24

Geez, I just don't understand how consistent linemates made Galchenyuk a consistent goal scorer? Thats a mind boggler for sure, eh bud. Maybe you and Therrien actually are related.

Any other coach in the NHL would have been fired, if they had as disastrous of a season as Therrien. Yet, somehow Therrien slips through the cracks. Now Carey will come back and make Michelle look like a decent coach. Only in Montreal

Now Carey will come back and make Michelle look like a decent coach. Only in Montreal

So he is responsible for all the losses without Price in net and not responsible for all the wins with him in net? Gotcha

It doesn't matter who the coach is, but when the most valuable player to his team in the world goes down, the team is going to suffer. A rookie goalie and a guy who couldn't crack the Oilers is supposed to fill the void of the MVP? Therrien has made some questionable decisions but he can't go out there and stop the puck. A healthy Price this season and the Habs are in the playoffs, that's how big of a difference that injury made.

If Pacioretty shot at the same 12.3% as last year (9.4% this year), he would have matched his 37 goals from last year. On top of that he would have reached 70 points for the first time. He's had some warranted criticism this year, but by no means did he have a bad season. Twenty-nine (30? :pray: ) goals and 63 points ain't too shab.

True dat. With him and Galchenyuk together for a whole season we have a chance for two 70-point guys for the first time in a while.

So he is responsible for all the losses without Price in net and not responsible for all the wins with him in net? Gotcha

It doesn't matter who the coach is, but when the most valuable player to his team in the world goes down, the team is going to suffer. A rookie goalie and a guy who couldn't crack the Oilers is supposed to fill the void of the MVP? Therrien has made some questionable decisions but he can't go out there and stop the puck. A healthy Price this season and the Habs are in the playoffs, that's how big of a difference that injury made.

100%. To make matters worse, we've had THE worst goaltending in the NHL since Price went down. It'd be very hard for any team to overcome that double-whammy of losing your best player *and* replacing him with the worst configuration in the league at his position.

Guest Stogey24

Did I say that?

No hearing for Pateryn for the hit on Johnson.

After the game, Hanley, Dietz, and Johnston were all assigned to St. John's. While others were waiver exempt, they're ineligible because they weren't recalled after the trade deadline (the paper transactions you've seen me refer to).

Exactly

When price comes in and his save percentage is ~ .015 above what the league average is, we give all the credit to carey and say the coach only looks good cause the goalie.

but when the habs play 70 games with goalies who are about 0.015 below league average in save percentage, it isn't accounted into the therrien analysis, and he's an idiot who can't even tie his shoes.

Again i'm on record that a new voice is needed. I just think this idea that changing the coach will lead to a huge improvement is unfounded.

There is an old saying. "Show me a great coach and I'll show you a great goalie, show me a crappy coach and I'll show you a crappy goalie." Its so true, it cuts both ways. Yes price influences Therrien's good years, but having the worst (or 2nd worst, see Calgary) goaltending duo in the league is almost impossible for any coach to overcome. And truly the only way to overcome it is with a dominant lineup and no one says we had that.

There's plenty of blame to go around. At the risk of sounding like Brian Wilde, I would put it:

30% Carey

40% MB

30% Therrien

Sure, Price accounts for a huge loss, but not having league average save percentage is on MB. He misjudged Condon's early start and didn't get a better backup. Reimer was available for picks, and Khudobin was on waivers. Those guys come in the fold, the Habs squeek in and have Carey Price back maybe in time for a few games.

MT did nothing to change his tactics to attenuate the loss of Price. His answer, succunictly put in December was "to respect the process." That means to skate harder. Bravo.

Guest Stogey24

How many games when Price was in net did this team get hemmed in their own end, thus having Price stand on his head because we couldn't afford to let up even one goal. Or constantly chip the puck off the glass instead of starting a breakout. Even if we did recover the puck off of a chip out, we'd go down take an outside shot, then retreat. Zero sustained pressure, on many a night

Ferraro: Therrien wasn't using the right system when Price went down. He was trying to stop the first goal against from happening instead of attempting to score the first goal themselves.

What did you guys think of Pateryn's hit on Johnson? Seems like it wasn't the hardest bump but he went down easily, and now he's out. Our division is crazy weak this year.

To me it looked like he went down easy trying to draw a penalty, and wasn't aware how close he was to the boards, and that caused him to smack his head hard inadvertently.

There's plenty of blame to go around. At the risk of sounding like Brian Wilde, I would put it:

30% Carey

40% MB

30% Therrien

Sure, Price accounts for a huge loss, but not having league average save percentage is on MB. He misjudged Condon's early start and didn't get a better backup. Reimer was available for picks, and Khudobin was on waivers. Those guys come in the fold, the Habs squeek in and have Carey Price back maybe in time for a few games.

MT did nothing to change his tactics to attenuate the loss of Price. His answer, succunictly put in December was "to respect the process." That means to skate harder. Bravo.

So give up valuable picks for a guy who would have gotten us in the playoffs, but was unlikely to win the cup. This team is a playoff team with average NHL goaltending, they aren't a cup team without Carey (and even with Carey we need more pieces). I don't see the point of making a panic move giving a rival like the Leafs a 2nd round pick likely around 45-50th,, or even trading such a pick to the ducks.

Bergevin's job is not to build a team that squeaks into 7th or 8th, its to build a cup contender and trading future assets for a rental that isn't good enough doesn't make sense to me.

• Upvote 1

How many games when Price was in net did this team get hemmed in their own end, thus having Price stand on his head because we couldn't afford to let up even one goal. Or constantly chip the puck off the glass instead of starting a breakout. Even if we did recover the puck off of a chip out, we'd go down take an outside shot, then retreat. Zero sustained pressure, on many a night

Ferraro: Therrien wasn't using the right system when Price went down. He was trying to stop the first goal against from happening instead of attempting to score the first goal themselves.

That may have been true of last season.

That wasn't true this year. Our analytics through Prices injury were very good. And as good as they were, they got even better in December and January. It was only in February when more injuries to the defence started to hit, and the team lost total confidence in what they were doing, that the wheels really fell off.

Therrien's system in 2015-16 was a night and day difference from his system in 2014-15. What you are saying is a fair criticism of the 2014-15 team, but not really true about this year.