ATB: What first round matchup do you want to see?

l.moustakas

Who do you want to see Montreal play in the first round?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see Montreal play in the first round?

• Philadelphia
    • Washington
    • Boston
    • Pittsburgh

Hello Forum members,

So, amongst the above four teams, who do you want to see Montreal play in the first round? Why?

Share your answers and the best ones will be used for next week's Around the Boards.

Also, for a quick overview of the four potential opponents, be sure the check out this week's ATB: http://habsworld.net...cle.php?id=2432

Edited by l.moustakas

Speaking for myself, Boston is the easy answer.

Each matchup between the two teams has progressed from division rivalry to an epic endurance test. The five matches so far have easily been the most entertaining and infuriating of the 70 Habs games I've had the pleasure of watching so far this season. It's been playoff hockey since Nov 11th between the two clubs.

Who wouldn't want the opportunity to see Chara return to the Bell Centre? That alone is worth being in 6th place for.

I think Pacioretty deserves the chance to hear the good people of Montreal call out Zdeno Chara as soon has he steps foot on the ice. Last time he didn't get that chance, he was on his way to the hospital not knowing if he would play again.

We all know that Montreal can beat Boston. We've had Tim Thomas' number all year, save for one game where both sides seemed able to score at will and goon tactics became a deciding factor.

As a fan, I feel the need to watch the Habs go toe to toe with the Bruins in round one and knock them out of the playoffs.

At the end of the last game, I would like nothing more than to get a glimpse of the teary eyed Bruins as they converge at centre ice to shake hands with the team that just ended their Stanley Cup dreams.

Bad karma is the darndest thing.

EDIT - After 7 - 0 in Boston.

We've now gone 4-2 against the Bruins. Last night was a terrible display by the Habs but probably the kick in the pants they needed - a reinforcement that if they don't stay focused and do all they little things right they'll get crushed. Injuries, returns and erratic line changes all contributed to lack of chemistry on the ice.

With just 2 points separating the Canadiens and the Rangers it's very possible that the Habs could drop to 7th and this matchup will never happen anyway.

( Alternately, things could pick up and we'll jump to 5th over Tampa )

That being said, if I had my choice, I would still dance with Boston in the first round. Now, more than ever, we have something to prove and I'd love to see them get another 7 kicks at the can. That was no way to finish up a regular season series.

Edited by BrenDittero

Has to be Boston.

Its destiny.

They are Darth Vader to our Luke Skywalker.

We have ewoks in Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez.

Hall Gill skates kind of like I imagine CP30 would, and Carey Price has the force.

As for Boston, I don't think Chara or Lucic would look out of place as extra's in the bar scene.

definitely Boston.

GO HABS GO - May the force be with you.

Has to be Boston.

Its destiny.

They are Darth Vader to our Luke Skywalker.

We have ewoks in Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez.

Hall Gill skates kind of like I imagine CP30 would, and Carey Price has the force.

As for Boston, I don't think Chara or Lucic would look out of place as extra's in the bar scene.

definitely Boston.

GO HABS GO - May the force be with you.

LOL. Nice 6th post

Philly for all the reasons someone said they don't wanna play Washington, our best chance at beating them would be in the first round, Philly is a Juggernaut when it gets momentum. Although Boston is the more logical choice I don't trust them, we can't afford anymore injuries. Our best chance at beating Philly is in the first round, and I think we have more to prove with Philly then classless Boston.

Philly for all the reasons someone said they don't wanna play Washington, our best chance at beating them would be in the first round, Philly is a Juggernaut when it gets momentum. Although Boston is the more logical choice I don't trust them, we can't afford anymore injuries. Our best chance at beating Philly is in the first round, and I think we have more to prove with Philly then classless Boston.

EMELIN vs. whoever wants to get beat on first

Pittsburgh.

I don't see how they can beat us. If Montreal (or anybody else) traps against them, they don't have the firepower to score goals.

The only one I'm afraid of is Philly but really, who knows. It's wide open this year and Montreal's got a pretty solid team.

Allow me to go off the board and suggest in a perfect world, Tampa Bay in the 4/5 matchup with Pittsburgh sliding to 6th. The Habs match up relatively well against the Bolts; they're not an overly physical team, Roloson (much to the chagrin of my pool team) is starting to falter, and their defence remains iffy at times. And for those who love media hype, there's the Lecavalier-Subban issue as well as the Martin-Boucher debate...though should the Habs lose, we'd be inundated with discussions of whether or not Martin should have been fired to make room for Boucher, despite last year's success.

Allow me to go off the board and suggest in a perfect world, Tampa Bay in the 4/5 matchup with Pittsburgh sliding to 6th. The Habs match up relatively well against the Bolts; they're not an overly physical team, Roloson (much to the chagrin of my pool team) is starting to falter, and their defence remains iffy at times. And for those who love media hype, there's the Lecavalier-Subban issue as well as the Martin-Boucher debate...though should the Habs lose, we'd be inundated with discussions of whether or not Martin should have been fired to make room for Boucher, despite last year's success.

I had thought about that matchup, but it seems too many variables have to fall in place for it to happen. Regardless, it certainly would be entertaining. Beyond the players and personnel who have worked for both organizations, It's also interesting to note how both teams are often attributed the same qualities: Fast, skilled, not overly physical, players who dive a lot.

I had thought about that matchup, but it seems too many variables have to fall in place for it to happen. Regardless, it certainly would be entertaining. Beyond the players and personnel who have worked for both organizations, It's also interesting to note how both teams are often attributed the same qualities: Fast, skilled, not overly physical, players who dive a lot.

A lot more variables now unless Tampa gets by Washington into 2nd or 3rd, though the Caps would have to go into quite a tailspin for that to happen. Heck, the Habs could help kick that spin off tomorrow.

Theres only 2 teams that I have concerns with: Philly, and Boston. I agree that its possible for the Habs to beat either of them in the 1st rnd, but they'd have better chance against any of the other teams. Plus if Habs do beat Philly or Bos in rnd 1, but they would have a fork stuck in them in rnd 2. Philly & Bos are both just to big and physical. Sure the Habs could beat them, but the physical exertion required for that wouldnt see them get by rnd 2.

A TB matchup IMO would be the best case scenario bar none. Unfortunately it looks like its the least likely. TB isnt a highly physical team, Wash isnt either. Last year the Habs lucked out against Wash, and I beleive TB series would be similar. The Habs almost got a bi last year in rnd 1 as far as physical playoff hockey goes. As soon as Pitts series started the Habs were in playoof hockey. Sure there were hits in the Wash series, but not like regular playoff hockey. I'm pretty sure there was more hits, and which were a lot more physical in the first 2 games against Pitts than in the entire Wash series.

Wash would be my 2nd choice for Habs for the same reason. Both teams just arent as physical or as dirty as Philly or Boston. TB and Wash wouldnt be hammering absolutely every Habs player into the boards starting in rnd 1 game 1.

Would rather see the Bruins/Habs meet up in the second or third round! So much energy will be extended ..not sure if there will be any gas left in the tank for whomever wins the series!

That's a very good point BFFDR,

I guess there are two ways of looking at it.

My thinking is that if the Habs met the Bruins in the first round and won it would be a huge boost of the team. Of course upsetting the Caps or Flyers would be big too but they'd really have to fall into a hard slump to drop to that point for the first round.

I don't believe that's going to happen, if it does, then the organization has so many issues the Bruins will be the least of their problems.

No matter who they play, 7 possible games will be draining, then another 7 and so on. The road to the cup is one long grind, might as well rip the band aid off sooner rather than later.

I don't believe there is an "easy or easier" playoff series. That kind of over confidence is what gets hockey teams in trouble. Just ask last years Washington Capitals. Bet they didn't see that coming.

Edited by BrenDittero

No clue why you say theres no "easier" playoff series and how that can get a team into trouble. It has absolutely nothing to do with over confidence. Over confidence is what gets teams into big trouble. A small team like the Habs perfering not to play the 2 largest, most goonish teams only makes sense. Why? Because it would be easier for them to win, and continue playing and winning.

Hypothetically in a scenario of the Habs having to play either Philly or Boston in 4 7 game series (exactly same amount to win the Cup potentially) and actually play out all 28 games no matter who wins each series. Sure the Habs might be able to win the 1st set, and possibly the 2nd. However in the last 14 games the Habs probably wouldnt win over 2 games, and most likely loose every game in the last set of 7.

From being knocked around constantly by a much larger team as the more games go by the more Habs players would be playing not at 100%. The entire team would be tired and sore from being crunched into the boards in the 1st 14 games. To win the Cup you must not only be able to beat the other teams, but out last them and survive them, and then be able to do it all again the next round, & repeat 4 times. Hockey is a contact sport and endurance during the playoffs becomes a huge part. Having the endure the physicalities of playoff hockey a team doesnt have an advantage from being small. Its a huge hinderence and as each playoff round goes by the disadvantage only increases. It gets exponentially harder.

No clue why you say theres no "easier" playoff series and how that can get a team into trouble. It has absolutely nothing to do with over confidence. Over confidence is what gets teams into big trouble. A small team like the Habs perfering not to play the 2 largest, most goonish teams only makes sense. Why? Because it would be easier for them to win, and continue playing and winning.

Hypothetically in a scenario of the Habs having to play either Philly or Boston in 4 7 game series (exactly same amount to win the Cup potentially) and actually play out all 28 games no matter who wins each series. Sure the Habs might be able to win the 1st set, and possibly the 2nd. However in the last 14 games the Habs probably wouldnt win over 2 games, and most likely loose every game in the last set of 7.

From being knocked around constantly by a much larger team as the more games go by the more Habs players would be playing not at 100%. The entire team would be tired and sore from being crunched into the boards in the 1st 14 games. To win the Cup you must not only be able to beat the other teams, but out last them and survive them, and then be able to do it all again the next round, & repeat 4 times. Hockey is a contact sport and endurance during the playoffs becomes a huge part. Having the endure the physicalities of playoff hockey a team doesnt have an advantage from being small. Its a huge hinderence and as each playoff round goes by the disadvantage only increases. It gets exponentially harder.

What I meant was that no series in the playoffs is going to be easy and I certainly don't believe that one is going easier than another.

The Habs need to be able to play at a high level and be physically and mentally ready to go through any team to get to the cup. I don't see any reason to wish that they avoid certain teams in the first round. It's going to be a hard fought battle no matter who they are up against.

In any matchup there will always be big hits, aches and pains to get through 28 possible games. So maybe they're not as tried and beat up if the first round was against Pittsburgh or Washington but they would eventually have to face Philly or Boston anyway.

If the general consensus is that the Habs are too small and can't beat the Flyers or Bruins in the first round, they also will not beat them in the second, or third.

And it's not really about who the Canadiens prefer to play, it's who they have to play.

In this case it will most likely be the Bruins. I don't like the idea of looking to other teams to hopefully eliminate our problems from the playoffs.

Edited by BrenDittero

Not all matchups will be as agressively physical as a Philly or Bos series. That statement is true for all teams, not just the Habs. Sure most playoff series are battles, but any team playing Philly or Bos will be a war, most likely a 7 game war, and there will be casulties to show for it. I would be willing to put money on this: any team that beat out Philly or Bos other than Philly or Bos will be out the next rnd. I like the Habs odds against any team in a hockey series, but Philly and Bos dont play hockey per se. Thats the problem. It will be a hard fought war, and thats true for any team.

If you dont like the idea of cheering for other teams to take out teams that will be a potentially huge problem for the Habs then you wont be a fan of this years playoffs. The Habs need other teams to take out Philly and Bos or it will be a quick playoffs for the Habs.

Not all matchups will be as agressively physical as a Philly or Bos series. That statement is true for all teams, not just the Habs. Sure most playoff series are battles, but any team playing Philly or Bos will be a war, most likely a 7 game war, and there will be casulties to show for it. I would be willing to put money on this: any team that beat out Philly or Bos other than Philly or Bos will be out the next rnd. I like the Habs odds against any team in a hockey series, but Philly and Bos dont play hockey per se. Thats the problem. It will be a hard fought war, and thats true for any team.

If you dont like the idea of cheering for other teams to take out teams that will be a potentially huge problem for the Habs then you wont be a fan of this years playoffs. The Habs need other teams to take out Philly and Bos or it will be a quick playoffs for the Habs.

Don't have a problem with another team beating the Flyers or Bruins if that's the way the cards play out.

I just won't be praying for the Habs to get off the hook.

Despite all the injuries, they have proven that they have good defensive depth and one of the best goalies in the league. Add to that just enough firepower ( though it should be much better ) to net at least a couple goals every night.

If they fall apart it's because they let it happen, as a team, like we've seen in the last couple.

I think they'll bounce back. Let's hope for the best.

Edited by BrenDittero

Don't have a problem with another team beating the Flyers or Bruins if that's the way the cards play out.

I just won't be praying for the Habs to get off the hook.

Well thats definitely what I`m hoping for. It could be history repeating itself. There is a classic text book example of proof for what I am saying.

Does anybody else remember 93? I'm sure everybody remembers the end result, but do you remeber the specifics?

Like how many teams that were higher in the standings than the Habs that the Habs faced that year? A = 1, just 1, the Nords in rnd 1, who were just 2 measly points better than the Habs. All the other rounds the Habs faced inferior teams. Keep in mind that the Habs finished in 4th place that season, yet they only faced 1 marginally better team in the playoffs. Ironically this year looks like it could play out almost identical to that year.

Lower seed Buff swept 2nd seed Bos 1st rnd, Habs swept Buff 2nd rnd, after beating slightly higher seeded Nords 4-2. President trophy winning 2 time repeating Champs Pitts gets knocked out in 7 games by the lowly Isles. Isles played way above their heads and exhausted themselves beating out Pitts and in rnd 3 get spanked by Habs 4-1. Habs faced the Kings in the finals, who were the 4th worst team in the West.

Although the Habs won the Cup in 93, they werent truely the best team. They basically lucked out by not really having to play any teams that were actually better than them. All the top teams were knocked out by the lower seeded underdogs and the remaining teams were no threat to the Habs.

This year I would say the Habs chances are fairly decent against any teams other than Philly and Bos so if the Habs can avoid them and other teams manage to knock them out for us, it could be a really good year. ;)

Couldn't care less who we face, as long as we make it to the dance. But I will go with Philly. Knock them off in the first and then who wouldn't like or chances?

I voted Bruins. If we were to upset them this year it would be sooo sweet.

I think the Boston hockey media would implode.

If we don't meet them in the first round I doubt we get a chance to revenge Thursday's

defeat until next year. We don't want to wait that long.

I think they have a better chance of beating a Malkinless and Crosbyless Pittsburg, but I would love to see Boston and Montreal. Even if it's a sweep the games would be amazing to watch. A 7 game series would be awesome to watch between these 2 teams. That being said, the last time montreal went on a scoring slump before the playoffs, they met Boston in the first round and was swept in less than dramatic fashion.