Habs sign goalie Mike Condon

dlbalr

The Habs have agreed to terms with goaltender Mike Condon on a two year, entry level contract. Early reports say it's a particularly expensive one at that. He finished up his college career with Princeton earlier this year and got into 4 ECHL plus 8 AHL games this season (including 3 AHL playoff contests). The official announcement is coming today apparently.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/5/8/4312426/montreal-canadians-sign-princeton-goaltender-mike-condon-carey-price-pete-budaj

Why? What does this mean? The deal confuses me.

They're lacking in goalie prospects. This is a goalie prospect. That's about all there is to it. Mayer's leaving next season for the Swiss league so that leaves just Tokarski (RFA) and Delmas in the system.

The deal is now official (announced by the team about 10 minutes ago), here's my writeup: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3082

For anyone wondering what his major was at Princeton, it was politics.

A good read about a major surgery he had early in his college career: http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/2013/02/13_healthy_condon_a_big_reason.php

Decent college goalie, but he's a project before making the NHL. He'll add some goalie depth for the AHL next year though.

Wasn't one of my top picks for goalies out of college (outside the top 3).

They're lacking in goalie prospects. This is a goalie prospect. That's about all there is to it. Mayer's leaving next season for the Swiss league so that leaves just Tokarski (RFA) and Delmas in the system.

and more then likely they'll lose Dustin Tokarski since he'll have to clear waivers.......so signing Condon is a start

and more then likely they'll lose Dustin Tokarski since he'll have to clear waivers.......so signing Condon is a start

It's a possibility for sure. The only thing that lowers my concerns with that a bit is that by the time Tokarski will hit waivers (if they're smart, early October), most teams will be set in goal by then. Is he good enough to make a team dump their current backup for? Perhaps, but I think they'll be able to sneak him down. If not, the thought of a Condon-Delmas tandem in the minors scares me greatly.

Contract breakdown:

2013-14: $667,500 salary, $257,500 in performance bonuses, $92,500 signing bonus

2014-15: $692,500 salary, $232,500 in performance bonuses, $92,500 signing bonus

Long story short? His cap hit is $925,000.