What Does Edmonton's Lottery Win Mean For Us?

ForumGhost

So it seems that Edmonton is once again roped into using their 1st on a forward, and now with a generational talent entering their organization, the pressure will be greater than ever to succeed (if that's even possible). It's no secret that they are desperate for a goaltender to build their club around... I think you can see where I'm going here.

I think we all know that Fucale has no real future in Montreal -- he's just too good to spend the next 10+ years behind Price. It's a matter of time before we need to liquidate him, and after the WJC, his stock should be pretty high.

Edmonton will definitely need to trade one of their young forwards to get what they need. Hall and RNH are probably untouchable, but perhaps a deal could be put together around Fucale for either Eberle and Yakupov. Edmonton probably will want to get some defense in any deal involving their stars, so the deal may also involve Pateryn or Tinordi (I wouldn't touch Beaulieu).

Bergevin should be aggressive in chasing one of these players, as if we want to be a contender, we really need some more natural snipers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on not trading NB. But that is who the Oil would target in a trade for one of their young guns on forward. Tinordi and Pateryn ? I like them but in Montreal they are deemed not worthy of playing ahead of Gilbert? Petry (sometimes healthy scratched in Edmonton) and Emelin. I figure the oil will want NHL'ers for the blue line in any trade. Likely even a seasoned vet.

If you resign Petry than NB might be expendable for the right player. I wouldn't include him in a deal for Yak (Although I would LOVE Yak on this team), but if Eberle is out there, you go get him.

If you resign Petry than NB might be expendable for the right player. I wouldn't include him in a deal for Yak (Although I would LOVE Yak on this team), but if Eberle is out there, you go get him.

Yes but NB cant be the main player you send for him. Oilers wont be dealing on a rebuild mode....they want players who play big roles now. Eberle is a star, we aint getting him for MT's sixth defense man.

I would do NB or Tinordi and Fucale for Yak or Eberle in a flash, without even thinking about it. I just don't think Fucale is that good.

I would do NB or Tinordi and Fucale for Yak or Eberle in a flash, without even thinking about it. I just don't think Fucale is that good.

So would the habs..........but oilers would not even consider it. They can and will get way more for Eberle. Yak, someone will over pay.

Would be nice but we are not getting eberle for a Hamilton Bulldog, our sixth D and a small junior goalie.

Agree with you on Fucale. Nobody out side Canadiens organization is particularly high on him.

I think McTavish's message to his top couple forwards that are going nowhere so settle into Edmonton, when he already knew Oil were picking top 3 in draft and maybe were eyeing up Hanafin, who actually might be a better fit, but McDavid is in stratosphere wit junior royalty like Lemieiux, Gretzky for his offensive production, so not a chance in hell will trade down

So only thing it might do for Habs is maybe making a prospect like Leon Draisaitl more available in trade, for defense like maybe Beaulieu (+minor crap to even out deal)?

Guest Stogey24

Montreal isn't trading Beaulieu. Gilbert has one year left on his deal, if he even finishes it, Petry will probably go to Detroit or Minnesota, and Markov's age isn't exactly on his side...

Montreal isn't trading Beaulieu. Gilbert has one year left on his deal, if he even finishes it, Petry will probably go to Detroit or Minnesota, and Markov's age isn't exactly on his side...

I don't know about all those absolutes even though I agree with a few of them. Let's see how the Habs season ends before we say what will happen in the off season. Whether the Habs lose in the first round, conference finals or whether they win the cup or not all make a huge difference in what will happen (especially the Petry thing in my opinion).

Playing 20+ minutes with Habs would lead one to think he is happy as are Mgmt with him.

I thought Emelin getting Price with cream facewash after setting W record, might be another example he is part of the core of team?

He is dishing out some pain so far in 1st two games.

Playing 20+ minutes with Habs would lead one to think he is happy as are Mgmt with him.

I thought Emelin getting Price with cream facewash after setting W record, might be another example he is part of the core of team?

He is dishing out some pain so far in 1st two games.

I don't really want to move Emelin either. But I do really want a better 1st line RW.

I like Eberle, but isn't he rather small? Don't we have enough smurfs on this team?

He's 5'11'', not as small as Desharnais or Gallagher.

He's 5'11'', not as small as Desharnais or Gallagher.

agreed, but he's not what we would call a big player... We have enough smallish forwards. If we were to send Desharnais the other way (along with Fucale and or Tinordi/Pateryn) then i'd say: let's do it! Not sure Edmonton will pull the trigger on that deal!?

agreed, but he's not what we would call a big player... We have enough smallish forwards. If we were to send Desharnais the other way (along with Fucale and or Tinordi/Pateryn) then i'd say: let's do it! Not sure Edmonton will pull the trigger on that deal!?

You do realise that based on size you would have turned down Wayne Gretzy and Bobby Orr

I don't get this constant size fetish here. Do people realize our "smurfs" galleghar and pleks outscored and were way more effective than Lucic, with all the grief pleks gets, the big bad Lucic's overall playoff numbers aren't much different than pleks.

You do realise that based on size you would have turned down Wayne Gretzy and Bobby Orr

I think McTavish's message to his top couple forwards that are going nowhere so settle into Edmonton, when he already knew Oil were picking top 3 in draft and maybe were eyeing up Hanafin, who actually might be a better fit, but McDavid is in stratosphere wit junior royalty like Lemieiux, Gretzky for his offensive production, so not a chance in hell will trade down

So only thing it might do for Habs is maybe making a prospect like Leon Draisaitl more available in trade, for defense like maybe Beaulieu (+minor crap to even out deal)?

Oilers wont be fishing for out youth. The "rebuild" is over. They have mcdavid and will part with a couple of players for top players who can help now. Not spare parts.