2015 Memorial Cup Thread

dlbalr

mast-logo-aug19.png

The 2015 Memorial Cup gets underway tonight and the Habs will have two prospects participating this year in their final junior games (as both will likely play for St. John's next year). Michael McCarron (Oshawa) is there for the second straight year while Zach Fucale (Quebec) is making his second appearance in the last three seasons. As a result, all but one of the opening round games will have a Montreal prospect playing.

Schedule:

May 22: Kelowna vs Quebec, 7:30 PM EST

May 23: Rimouski vs Oshawa, 4:30 PM EST

May 24: Quebec vs Oshawa, 4:30 PM EST

May 25: Rimouski vs Kelowna, 7:30 PM EST

May 26: Oshawa vs Kelowna, 7:30 PM EST

May 27: Quebec vs Rimouski, 7:30 PM EST

(The rest of the schedule will be determined after the opening round.)

As always, I'll be running our annual StatTracker on the main site. Also in there is a listing of how current Habs and prospects have fared in past years at the tournament.

Be nice to see Fucale as Price's backup in the near future

I don't think it will be in the near future. He needs at least two full years in the minors, probably three. (He'll be in a time-split situation next year with Condon as things stand and he'll need at least one full year as a starter, likely more.) And if it comes down to playing him full-time in the AHL with waiver exemption or playing 15 games behind Price, the smart play is to keep him in the minors. He should be a quality second option to Price down the road though (if he isn't traded which if I had to guess, is a somewhat likely scenario).

I don't think it will be in the near future. He needs at least two full years in the minors, probably three. (He'll be in a time-split situation next year with Condon as things stand and he'll need at least one full year as a starter, likely more.) And if it comes down to playing him full-time in the AHL with waiver exemption or playing 15 games behind Price, the smart play is to keep him in the minors. He should be a quality second option to Price down the road though (if he isn't traded which if I had to guess, is a somewhat likely scenario).

I'm guessing a similar trajectory of Malcolm Subban. Two platoon years in the AHL, one starter year in the AHL (for Malcolm that's 15-16) and then the team decides whether to call him up to back up Rask and maybe steal some starts, or trades him to a team loving his AHL play.

Am nowhere near qualified to critique goalie play, however Fucale still seemed to drop/fumble a few pucks, but still made some super saves.

Am nowhere near qualified to critique goalie play, however Fucale still seemed to drop/fumble a few pucks, but still made some super saves.

That's more or less Fucale in a nutshell. He has a knack for making the timely, big save but will look really awkward at other times.

Guest Stogey24

McCarron has looked good so far but he's not playing big minutes (3rd line C). So far today, he has an assist, a fight, and is 7/7 on faceoffs.

Just missed a goal too

Guest Stogey24

I didn't get to watch much of Mccarron after he got traded, but his hands have definitely improved around the net

2-1 Oshawa after the 1st period. Guess who has one goal and one assist? The goal was a deflection in front of the net, and the assist a nice pass on a two on one. I like Big Mac a lot.

• Upvote 1

Just had to throw in that little jab eh Don? McCarron's playing well and may make you eat your words before the end of the MC...it's ok to be wrong, we won't throw it back in your face. I like him a lot too JC :thumbs_up:

MC looks very good in front of the net, screening the goalie. We have nobody on the current team willing to do that. He could make the team just by doing that on a constant basis with the Habs, next season.

To me Fucale looks tiny in the net, and he's always down so low, in a weird condensed butterfly. He's playing the puck pretty well though.

Love what I've seen from mccarron

Yup McCarron has looked good, other than defensive gaff yesterday costing 1 goal, he might cut it as a 4th liner with Habs in couple years (if he works hard on and improves his skating alot), but not quite what you are hoping for with 1st round pick.

Fucale also has had a very solid game, 47 shots so far.

Yup McCarron has looked good, other than defensive gaff yesterday costing 1 goal, he might cut it as a 4th liner with Habs in couple years (if he works hard on and improves his skating alot), but not quite what you are hoping for with 1st round pick.

Fucale also has had a very solid game, 47 shots so far.

Underating mccarron IMO. I think he'll more than just cut it as a forth liner in a couple years. I think he's even going to make the coaches make a tough decision this fall before ultimately heading to St. John's (where I will watch him and Fucale woooo)

Fucale couldn't be faulted on the last two goals at all either, he played well.

Also just figured I'd mention I don't expect mccarron to ever be a strong offensive player, but I think his overall game is good, plus his size would help mtl, mccarron makes sure to finish his checks

2-1 Oshawa after the 1st period. Guess who has one goal and one assist? The goal was a deflection in front of the net, and the assist a nice pass on a two on one. I like Big Mac a lot.

ditto

Does McCarron usually gives the left elbow to his teamates on the bench when he scores a goal ?

Because he if doesn't, probably means that his left hand is injured right now.

McCarron is a 4th liner if he completely bottoms out developmentally.

3rd to 2nd liner is expected, no?

My hopes are a third liner who can put up 20-30

points while hitting the life out if the opposition.

The dream is a second liner who can score 20 goals and close to 50 points while still hitting the life out of the opposition, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

He's also known to be great defensively for the most part, so a good two way player as well other than the physicality.