Should the Habs sign Andrei Kostitsyn?

habs rule

So Andre Kostityn really wants to come back to NHL. willing to sign cheap 1 year deal. Say he has his head on straight and is in great condition. Do you give him a chance?

I would have said no but he is a very talented guy, and even Riberio turned himself around.

So Andre Kostityn really wants to come back to NHL. willing to sign cheap 1 year deal. Say he has his head on straight and is in great condition. Do you give him a chance?

I would have said no but he is a very talented guy, and even Riberio turned himself around.

I would take a chance on him. Wasnt it his brother being the real headcase anyway?

The game has changed so much in the last two years, I don't think anyone could accurately assess what AK could bring to the table. God knows we need a sniper. I would take a chance on him for a year at a reduced salary. You are rolling the dice with Kassian, why not have another roll?

So maybe you sign him for 1 at 900,000, if he can't cut it or doesn't have it, you can hide him in the minors with no cap hit. Very low risk but maybe just maybe he can start playing to his talent. He could be a really good scorer.

We've subtracted one of the blood-and-guts guys in all of hockey (Prust) and added an irresponsible, inconsistent punk with upside (Kassian). Now people want us to add bums like Semin or drunks like Kostitsyn. We have a great room by all accounts, and I think you have to be careful about tipping the balance too far in favour of uncommitted idiots. Kassian will be enough of a challenge for the leadership core to absorb and bring along. No more, please.

We've subtracted one of the blood-and-guts guys in all of hockey (Prust) and added an irresponsible, inconsistent punk with upside (Kassian). Now people want us to add bums like Semin or drunks like Kostitsyn. We have a great room by all accounts, and I think you have to be careful about tipping the balance too far in favour of uncommitted idiots. Kassian will be enough of a challenge for the leadership core to absorb and bring along. No more, please.

I understand your point c/c I am looking at a guy who can get 25-30 goals a year if motivated. It wouldn't take long for Le Genius to figure out yes he can work or not. Like I say if he can't cut it dump him in the minors and he will go back to russia.

Besides 30/31 isn't here so someone has to stir the pot. We need a goood discussion. :nuts:

Always have to look at the value, and AK really could bring a ton of value if his play matched his skill set. 20 goals 25 assists at 1 mill could happen.. Why not try!

Always have to look at the value, and AK really could bring a ton of value if his play matched his skill set. 20 goals 25 assists at 1 mill could happen.. Why not try!

Because character matters. If we could sign 10 cheap drunks and bums with 'potential' would you do that too? Is that the way to win a Cup?

So a guy with 400NHL games 205lb, 30 year old RW who averages 21.2g & 45.7pts/year.

What is that worth in today's market?

What is with the drunk bit, are you insinuating he is an alcoholic? Well even better then, considering his production and if get him in rehab, he could be a 30g 55pts RWer?

Because character matters. If we could sign 10 cheap drunks and bums with 'potential' would you do that too? Is that the way to win a Cup?

So nobody ever gets a second chance to prove he has changed?

So a guy with 400NHL games 205lb, 30 year old RW who averages 21.2g & 45.7pts/year.

What is that worth in today's market?

What is with the drunk bit, are you insinuating he is an alcoholic? Well even better then, considering his production and if get him in rehab, he could be a 30g 55pts RWer?

That is actually a good point. But 1 stupid night of drinking doesn't make him an alkie I don't think. Who knows he may have quit drinking, took the pledge, could be he learned the hard way. Let's remember Craig Mactavish, vehicular homicide, he came back.

Yes I know many (and I) who did stupid immature stuff in early-mid 20s.

But if he came back, it would be a hoot to see crazy over the top reaction from some who constantly love to use hindsight drafting and hate him because he was chosen at 10th.

I'd sign AK46. There was an article with Dave Lewis who just coached him and he said despite his worries he saw abut who acted and played like a pro and was pretty positive.

If he can score 20 goals for a $1m, I think it would be a steal. Much better than having PAP.

It wasn't just one night of drinking...it was going out on a bender the night before a playoff game. That is frigging inexcusable. And he was 26 or 27 years old at the time, not some punk kid.

Still, the 'second chance' argument might be fair. IF I had really good character references over a period of years that all said he was reformed, and if his on-ice performance has been strong enough to suggest he could help the team, then I guess you have to consider it. The real reason I don't want him back is fatigue from those years of waiting around for him to do more than have 20 good games per season. 'Waiting for Kostitsyn' was even more frustrating than 'Waiting for Eller' and I personally have no desire to watch that horrible play again. But that, I suppose, is not a reason to sign him provided due diligence reveals a potential asset and a truly reformed human being.

I would look at trying to ad Ilya kovalchuk, no way would I look at bring back ak

Except Kovalchuk can't come back this year or for a few more for that matter based on the terms of his 'retirement'. (Not to mention that even if he could, the Habs certainly couldn't afford him.)

It wasn't just one night of drinking...it was going out on a bender the night before a playoff game. That is frigging inexcusable. And he was 26 or 27 years old at the time, not some punk kid.

Still, the 'second chance' argument might be fair. IF I had really good character references over a period of years that all said he was reformed, and if his on-ice performance has been strong enough to suggest he could help the team, then I guess you have to consider it. The real reason I don't want him back is fatigue from those years of waiting around for him to do more than have 20 good games per season. 'Waiting for Kostitsyn' was even more frustrating than 'Waiting for Eller' and I personally have no desire to watch that horrible play again. But that, I suppose, is not a reason to sign him provided due diligence reveals a potential asset and a truly reformed human being.

Ah ha we are wearing you down. :) Well I don't know if he truly grown but if there is little to no risk I would have to be tempted to give him a shot. No chance for lil titsy, he is a head case.

30 teams in the NHL.

Only one teams fans think bringing back Andrei Kostitsyn is a good idea.

The media is certainly cheerleading for him because they know how big that particular fanbase is.

Everyone loves to frame this about just the Predators incident but everyone in the NHL knows what the player he is and scouts have watched him in the KHL. Why are all of these other KHLers getting shots but not Andrei?

Andrei put up two disappointing seasons with Traktor, who in 12-13 was a Top 5 team that lost in the finals (21 pts in 44 games, 10 less than Jan Bulis) and in 13-14 they missed the playoffs (31 pts in 54 games, 2nd in scoring so he can say he was better than Jan Bulis that year). Last season, they traded Kostitsyn to HK Sochi after 13 games when he only had 4 points and a -12. Kostitsyn turned his game around with 31 points in 37 games but did nothing for Sochi in the playoffs. In other words, he's been as enigmatic as ever before and is trying to bank on a great performance after being dumped by Traktor and nobody seems to be biting.

I keep hearing "25 to 30" goals but Kostitsyn only once in his career hit that mark with 26 goals. After that he scored 23 (in 74)... then 15 (in 59), then 20 (in 81), then finished his NHL career with 16 goals (in 72) before going back to the KHL. He was trending down while still in his 20s to becoming just a third line, 15 goal scorer yet some people believe even after all these years away from the NHL, he's still the 07-08 guy carried to 26 goals by Alex Kovalev.

He comes to the NHL, you're looking at 15 goals if he has an amazing year. He's no 25 goal scorer. He's only once hit that mark and trended down. Even in the KHL he was inconsistent. And you expect him to be a great pickup?

Wouldn't touch him or his brother with a 50 foot pole. Would rather take risks on 23 and 24 year olds like DSP and Kassian than a guy who was never as good as his reputation.

Ahh who cares, give him a shot don't give him a shot. I really could care less. But when he goes somewhere else and pulls a Riberio don't come back and say Oh we should have gotten him. :nuts: We need offence, that I do know, and I have seen no evidence of any new offence. Anyone else seen any?

Leaf blogger has him listed as cheap free agent option. Noting he would be interested in 1 yr low cap hit salary just to get back. (true? or bit of fantasy?)

With without Kovalev he averaged 21.1goals/82games in NHL, 13g/yr in KHL.

And seems, like I said before, are many who hate him for not meeting their own lofty perception of what he should be. Do people care how Kessel got his 25-35 goals for $8m/yr and that did nothing in 40-50 games.

So if AK46 gets 15+g for $1-2m, would be good value wouldn't it be?

Don't worry, I would guess very very unlikely Bergevin will give him a call.

But, is an 'interesting' option (and is little going on at the moment Big Bird) and like I say again the reaction would be off the charts by some Anti-AK46ites. :nuts:

Habs simply need more goals and unlikely Kassian will light it up a whole lot more than Paranteau did.

Ahh who cares, give him a shot don't give him a shot. I really could care less. But when he goes somewhere else and pulls a Riberio don't come back and say Oh we should have gotten him. :nuts: We need offence, that I do know, and I have seen no evidence of any new offence. Anyone else seen any?

You mean the guy in a civil suit for sexually assaulting his babysitter? Yeah, he could put up 110pts and I won't give a flip. Ribeiro, Voynov, nope don't have an iota of interest.