The Plan: One year Tank and Rebuild for 2016-17

Commandant

Excellent reflections. I'd need more time to mull it over, but my only real question marks are

1. Do we really want to let Weise walk? Unless his demands are extravagant, he seems to me to be a really valuable bottom-6er because he can actually move up the roster at times and contribute.

2. I agree it might make sense to keep Pleks. But the bottom line is that we will be paying $6 mil for a player who I no longer believe can produce offence at the level required of a top-6 C. That's a lot of dough to sink into your checking C in a cap system.

How to turn this one year tank into a quick retool on the fly.

I think you got a good feel where this train is going. I would say this however, that that pool of free agents will markedly dwindle until the deadline. There may not be a whole lot top talent available when we would become buyers.

We don't need to rebuild. We just need to bring in fresh blood. If I was MB I would look at clearing cap space to go shopping july1st. At the deadline trade desharnais , eller, emelin. And if they can markov.

Targets July 1st

Okposo

Vatanen

Ladd

Nielsen

2. I agree it might make sense to keep Pleks. But the bottom line is that we will be paying $6 mil for a player who I no longer believe can produce offence at the level required of a top-6 C. That's a lot of dough to sink into your checking C in a cap system.

He may be overpaid but he's still one of our three best forwards, and our best defender. Losing him would open a bigger hole. He shouldn't be on the first line, though. Give that to Galchenyuk. Eller is a decent third-liner, so I'd move Desharnais for whatever.

As for the article, I'm not sure if there are any NHL-ready guys in the draft besides Matthews. A handful of games at an international tournament isn't enough to be certain for those Finnish guys, for instance.

And I'm not sure about trading Markov, but if we can get something of value for him I'd do it.

Excellent reflections. I'd need more time to mull it over, but my only real question marks are

1. Do we really want to let Weise walk? Unless his demands are extravagant, he seems to me to be a really valuable bottom-6er because he can actually move up the roster at times and contribute.

He's on pace for 55 points, which is pretty good production for a top 6 C.

He's also 33, not 37 or 38, i think he's still got something in him, and tend to think his recent slump is a part of everyone on the team slumping and not unique to plekanec.

How to turn this one year tank into a quick retool on the fly.

Doubt you'll get anyone better than Markov on the free agent market or in a trade, and you definitely aren't finding a replacement in the prospects.

Kings won the cup with Willie Mitchell and Robyn Regehr... we really don't need to panic on a player once they lose a step, and Markov would be fine if Therrien didn't insist on playing him too much.

Nice work...looks pretty darned accurate to me as far as guys you'd like to move, and which of those are likely possible. The thought of shedding DD (even if only for the proverbial 'bag of pucks') brings a smile to my face, and would be a nice step forward.

Yeah, I'd let him walk. He fits right now because he's a relatively cheap bottom six guy. Because of his hot streak earlier on in the year, someone's likely going to pay him more than he's worth. Is Weise a ~15 goal player which he has a shot at this year or is he more of an 8-10 goal player? I'm inclined to think the latter but he's going to want to be paid like the former.

Montreal already has a couple of pricier players in the bottom six - Eller at $3.5 is the big one but they're even paying a bit of a premium for Mitchell as ideally a fourth line centre is making under $1 million. If the Habs want to try to add another top six forward, they can't pay another bottom six player at a premium rate. They'd be better off replacing him with a guy for under $1 million and diverting the extra $1.5 M or so (I think Weise hovers around $2.25 M - $2.5 M or so on a new deal) towards the top six upgrade.

• Upvote 1

I think the article is pretty close to what should happen. I also agree that we are not nearly as bad as how we look right now. I would keep Weise. I am mixed on TP but because he is so versatile I think I would keep him. If we are able to upgrade our top 6 I think he will score a bit more, playing with quality players.

My biggest question is the coaching. I was quite happy when we hired MT, but I believe it's time. I never listened to HIO but I've listened to their video twice over the past week and Chris Nilan, who has watched their practices, says there is little teaching and no emphasis on the fundamentals and he sees those mistakes in the games. It's not being corrected in practice and he says they are making those same mistakes in games and it's costing us.

So I agree we need a new coach. But that's where my concern is. I'd love for us to get Lemaire, Robinson, it's probably impossible to get Lemaire, but I wonder if there's a chance we could convince Robinson to come back. Probably unlikely.

From what I've heard Nilan say, we need a coach who is going to teach, work on fundamentals and teach special teams. Is Guy Boucher really the answer for us? That's my biggest concern...finding the right coach.

Markov is not getting traded, he makes too much money, he has an ntc he is 38. We missed that boat 2 years ago.

He'd maybe waive for a trade to Dallas or Washington, aka a real chance for the Cup.

Wonder how they would make him fit under the cap though...

So I agree we need a new coach. But that's where my concern is. I'd love for us to get Lemaire, Robinson, it's probably impossible to get Lemaire, but I wonder if there's a chance we could convince Robinson to come back. Probably unlikely.

Robinson retired from coaching this past summer. He went from what was basically a part-time consultant to I believe now Director of Player Development in San Jose (which is also a part-time role for him).

Are you guys sure on Markov's no trade clause. I remember reading it was no trade the first year, limited in year 2 and no clause the 3rd year.

Correct - He can be dealt to 12 teams this year, no NTC the final year (as of July 1).

Robinson retired from coaching this past summer. He went from what was basically a part-time consultant to I believe now Director of Player Development in San Jose (which is also a part-time role for him).

And as we know he can't handle Head Coach duties in Montreal. Probably too passionate

Watching every game it seems like a replay game after game. We need to be sellers this team has hit rock bottom. Weise Fleschmann and Gilbert should be traded for being UFA . Try to get rid of the dead weight Desharnais, Eller, Emelin and Markov for whatever you can. Then go after free agents July 1st. The more we trade the more we can see call ups and what we have on the farm. Plus we get the benefit of having higher draft picks for this years cycle

Markov and Plekanec both have excellent value and Beregevin will have no problem getting a good return for them at the trade deadline should he choose to do so. Markov is a top 4 defenseman and Plekanec is a good #2 centre who can score 20 goals and 50+ points. These are things not cheaply aquired.

Lars Eller, Tom Gilbert, Dale Weise have some value. Ellers value increases significantly if Beregevin retains some of his salary.

Desharnais is probably untradeable. Emelin has full NTC so forget them.

Yes I fully support at 2015/16 season tank after seeing the Carey Price skating video. Clearly the season is over.

Assuming Markovs 12 teams include most of the top teams in the league is put out his services to the highest bidder. Asking for young roster player or prospect and high picks.

Plekanec not as valuable as Markov put i think Montreal can get a 1st rounder for him. 2nd line 2 way centre who scores 20 goals.

Eller, Gilbert and Weise can be traded for mid round picks. Weise and Eller could get 2nd rounders....Pittsburgh gave up a prospect and a 2nd and a 4th for Winnik last year. Eller and Weise are better players.

Id try and scoop Hamonic from the Islanders for a package centered around Beaulieu. Beaulieu is younger and cheaper while Hamonic is a top 4 dman. Montreal probably has to kick in more.

Then id send Hamonic and other pieces to Edmonton for their lottory pick. With our tank job we could have 2 top 5 picks, and with any luck and some massaging from the NHL for the John Scott trade Auston Matthews

Markov and Plekanec both have excellent value and Beregevin will have no problem getting a good return for them at the trade deadline should he choose to do so. Markov is a top 4 defenseman and Plekanec is a good #2 centre who can score 20 goals and 50+ points. These are things not cheaply aquired.

Lars Eller, Tom Gilbert, Dale Weise have some value. Ellers value increases significantly if Beregevin retains some of his salary.

Desharnais is probably untradeable. Emelin has full NTC so forget them.

Yes I fully support at 2015/16 season tank after seeing the Carey Price skating video. Clearly the season is over.

Assuming Markovs 12 teams include most of the top teams in the league is put out his services to the highest bidder. Asking for young roster player or prospect and high picks.

Plekanec not as valuable as Markov put i think Montreal can get a 1st rounder for him. 2nd line 2 way centre who scores 20 goals.

Eller, Gilbert and Weise can be traded for mid round picks. Weise and Eller could get 2nd rounders....Pittsburgh gave up a prospect and a 2nd and a 4th for Winnik last year. Eller and Weise are better players.

Id try and scoop Hamonic from the Islanders for a package centered around Beaulieu. Beaulieu is younger and cheaper while Hamonic is a top 4 dman. Montreal probably has to kick in more.

Then id send Hamonic and other pieces to Edmonton for their lottory pick. With our tank job we could have 2 top 5 picks, and with any luck and some massaging from the NHL for the John Scott trade Auston Matthews

Nice to know you're still here kaos. So you know, your opinion has been missed.

Weise and Eller could get 2nd rounders....Pittsburgh gave up a prospect and a 2nd and a 4th for Winnik last year. Eller and Weise are better players.

Winnik was a cheaply-paid rental. Weise fits that category but Eller doesn't. Two years left after this at $3.5 M for an underachiever probably isn't going to yield a second round pick. He has some value but fits better into a player-for-player type of swap.

Nice to know you're still here kaos. So you know, your opinion has been missed.

It has been nice to see some of the older posters who haven't been around much lately popping in to post. Hopefully we see more of it.

I think the article is pretty close to what should happen. I also agree that we are not nearly as bad as how we look right now. I would keep Weise. I am mixed on TP but because he is so versatile I think I would keep him. If we are able to upgrade our top 6 I think he will score a bit more, playing with quality players.

My biggest question is the coaching. I was quite happy when we hired MT, but I believe it's time. I never listened to HIO but I've listened to their video twice over the past week and Chris Nilan, who has watched their practices, says there is little teaching and no emphasis on the fundamentals and he sees those mistakes in the games. It's not being corrected in practice and he says they are making those same mistakes in games and it's costing us.

From what I've heard Nilan say, we need a coach who is going to teach, work on fundamentals and teach special teams. Is Guy Boucher really the answer for us? That's my biggest concern...finding the right coach.

Chris Nilan for coach, you know he waaaaants it. Seriously he couldn't be any worse.