Datsyuk signs with Russian club Avangard Omsk

les_glorieux

Report: Datsyuk signs with Russian club

TSN.ca Staff

9/5/2005 3:11:40 PM

MOSCOW - It appears that Pavel Datsyuk meant it when he set a Monday deadline in his talks with the Red Wings.

According to Reuters, the restricted free agent signed a one-year contract with Russian club Avangard Omsk today.

The 27-year-old All-Star centre, who reportedly turned down a $5 million offer by Detroit was apparently looking for a deal of at least $6 million with the Red Wings.

"I think I am worth at least what (Dany) Heatley or (Joe) Thornton got from their deals," Datsyuk told the Russian media.

Datsyuk has a clause in his Avangard contract, allowing him to leave for the NHL midway through the season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135484

Reminds me of a couple of proverbs I sort of remember...

One is have your cake and something something

the other is something something comes before a fall.

Darn, I wish I could remember them...

Datsyuk is a great player but it's laughable for him to ask for the same money as Joe T. Thornton is one of the best players in the game. Doubt anyone could argue Dastyuk is.

Is Dastyuk even a top 10 Centre in the league?

Sakic, Forsberg, Lemieux, Thornton, Sundin, Richards, LeCavalier, Demitra, Modano, Fedorov, etc... you could make strong arguments for everyone of those guys being better than Dastyuk... Geez

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Datsyuk is a great player but it's laughable for him to ask for the same money as Joe T. Thornton is one of the best players in the game. Doubt anyone could argue Dastyuk is.

Is Dastyuk even a top 10 Centre in the league?

Sakic, Forsberg, Lemieux, Thornton, Sundin, Richards, LeCavalier, Demitra, Modano, Fedorov, etc... you could make strong arguments for everyone of those guys being better than Dastyuk... Geez

Datsyuk isn't <b>that</b> good and probably isn't a top 10 center but he is currently better than some of those players. Sundin is way overrated. Modano is getting old.

In the future, Datsyuk will probably be better than some of those other guys were at his age.

He would habe been in for atleast 80 points this year.

He did prove himself to be very greedy though.

Wow, I hate to say this, but this is a greedy player. Datsuk is not half the player of Heatler, Thornton, Hossa. Im glad Detroit did not sign him, that would be awful. I would not play him more then 2 million a year. Look at his totals then compare them to Thornton, then tell me he deserves the same money.

Datsyuk isn't that good and probably isn't a top 10 center but he is currently better than some of those players. Sundin is way overrated. Modano is getting old.

Datyuk's career high is 68 points, scored in 03/04

Look at some of these other active centres who've scored atleast 70 once over the last 3 NHL seasons:

-Sergei Fedorov

-Joe Thornton

-Joe Sakic

-Saku Koivu

-Mike Modano

-Scott Gomez

-Robert Lang

-Alex Yashin

-Pavol Demitra

-Craig Conroy

-Peter Forsberg

-Mario Lemieux

-Brad Richards

-Vincent LeCavalier

-Mats Sundin

-Jason Allison

-Eric Lindros

-Brendan Morrison

Dastyuk scored only 3 more points than Ribeiro last season and Mike is making 1 and change. Those 3 extra points are NOT worth an extra 4 and a half mil.

Ya but I'd rather have Datsyuk than half those players. He's young. He can easily ask for 3M on most teams depsite only 3 more points than Ribeiro. That's because he's flashy and has a few famour breakaways. Most people don't notice Ribeiro as much.

He doesn't deserve 6M.

Since Dastyuk became a top 6 forward for Detroit in 02/03, they've failed in the playoffs winning a total of 1 round. So he can't score over 70 points and he quits in the playoffs... How exactly does he deserve 6 mil? (no bulis i wasn't asking you, just stating in general)

[Edited on 2005/9/8 by Leafs Suck]

• 2 weeks later...