Yannic Perreault

habs_25th

So why did the defensive-minded Gainey opt not to sign Perreault? He's got 17 points in 24 games, wins 60+% of faceoffs and is a defense-first player.

I know they were going for youth but I think he was 32 when he was last with the Habs. That's Koivu's age.

So why did the defensive-minded Gainey opt not to sign Perreault? He's got 17 points in 24 games, wins 60+% of faceoffs and is a defense-first player.

I know they were going for youth but I think he was 32 when he was last with the Habs. That's Koivu's age.

32 when he was wit the habs that was like 2-3 yrs ago..and this thread will be closed as Perreault isnt a habs lol sucks that if its not 100% habs related it will be closed :(

No, Yanic Perreault NEVER played a defensive role. That is why he is gone. He was a one-dimensional offensive player who floated far too much and was a bad influence on younger players. He had no spot on either of the top lines and was horribly suited for a defensive line, as he was a big liability.

After so long, I can't believe we're still getting threads like this. My gosh.

Well, to his credit he performed admirably in Montreal. Although he didn't post superb numbers, he managed to knock in close to 20 goals each and every year. A shame that wherever he's played, he's been knocked for not being speedy enough, or not being defensively aware enough but never given credit for being the top faceoff guy in the league.

At the time, there was no room because Mike Ribiero was coming off a good season and was the pencilled-in 2nd line centre. Perreault isn't a checking centre, not suited for 3rd/4th line duty, thus re-signing him wasn't in the cards.

Defensive zone faceoffs maybe?

Nope coaches don't allow him to take draws in the defensive zone. He wins about 60% (or less) of his draws. If you let him take defensive zone faceoffs, 40% of the time the other team has the puck in your end and you have a very weak defensive player on the ice.

Edited by Peter Puck