Lats' potential

habs_25th

What's Guillaume Latendresse's potential when he fully matures? Is he a potential power forward all-star, 40+goal scorer who will pile on the points? Or a defense-first forward that can put the puck in the net?

Is he a potential future captain of the habs with strong leadership abilities on and off the ice?

In the games I've seen recently of him, he has not looked out of place and looked really comfortable on the first or the fourth line.

I'd say he needs to improve his skating, and he needs to keep his stick on the ice more. Guillaume has already improved alot since the start of the season when everyone was thinking "should he really be on the team?", but recently he has been one of the better players on the ice and he is still only 19.

He's got a bright future in this league and as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.

When you start talking about elite players, its the very little things between the ears that make a huge difference on the ice. It decides weither you're a Tkachuk or a Shanahan. Consistency, discipline, stepping up to pressure, etc.

What's encouraging is that Lats has good teachers (Carbo, Muller, Jarvis), a good babysitter (Begin) and will be surrounded by players who have a good attitude (Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Chipchura, etc.) as he develops.

Shanahan is really the type of player I think Latendresse can become, but he doesn't have the same hard shot and release so he probably won't be as much of a sniper. However he's a much better playmaker Shanahan ever was. Shanny has been a 40-40-80 player in his prime, I'd think Lats might be the about same. Maybe even a 40-50-90 player if he has the right linemates.

The defensive game will come in time and what Lats will lack in foot speed he'll make up for it with anticipation and positioning once he gets more experienced.

What's really impressive, more than anything else, is the way Latendresse has dealt with all the pressure, hype and attention he's been given at 18 and 19 years old. Surviving the Montreal fishbowl is one thing; thriving in it is an entirely other thing.

Looks like he's sticking to the basics but doesn't have the feather touch pass or the soft hands or the great skating. But making some awesome plays and passes and catching me by surprise when he's on the ice.

He's showing flashes of it, and it'll only improve. I recall one particular play earlier this season against Toronto when the puck just appeared on Lats stick as he was in the slot with Kubina at about 2 feet in front of him, and Lats pulled a little left-right-left move to bring the puck around Kubina and shoot. These types of moves when you're very close from an opponent are the sign of natural talent. Takes soft hands to pull that off.

Come on carbo... Jaques demers said carbo had a meeting with the guys before the tampa game stating who ever is playing well will get to play... those who dont will not!

gonna have to do this at one point (moving the lines)

Lats Koivu ryder

samy higgins- kovy

perez-bonk-john

plek-downey/murray-streit

should the team bring lapierre back and send murray to waiver city it still wont get easier the second line has to produce more...

When you start talking about elite players, its the very little things between the ears that make a huge difference on the ice. It decides weither you're a Tkachuk or a Shanahan. Consistency, discipline, stepping up to pressure, etc.

What's encouraging is that Lats has good teachers (Carbo, Muller, Jarvis), a good babysitter (Begin) and will be surrounded by players who have a good attitude (Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Chipchura, etc.) as he develops.

Shanahan is really the type of player I think Latendresse can become, but he doesn't have the same hard shot and release so he probably won't be as much of a sniper. However he's a much better playmaker Shanahan ever was. Shanny has been a 40-40-80 player in his prime, I'd think Lats might be the about same. Maybe even a 40-50-90 player if he has the right linemates.

I think Brendan Shanahan is a little lofty goals for any player. Not only was Shananhan a great player be he has also had the privaledge of some of the best linemates and teammates in hockey.

In New Jersey he got to play with Muller and McLean. St. Louis is was Brett Hull and Craig Janney. Quick Stop in Hartford before playing years with Yzerman and Fedorov in Detroit and now he's playing with Jagr.

Latendresse will never have linemates like this in Montreal, so I'm doubting he'll ever score 40+ goals and 80+ points consistantly. I'd say he'll top out as a 30 goal scorer and maybe 70 point man.

Edited by kaos

Personally i think Latendresse has a medium/ high potential rating. He will never be a leclair or jagr. but will be a very good player who will be in the league for a while. But this is only his rokkie season so i cant tell much about his skill, he is doing well though. :clap:

Personally i think Latendresse has a medium/ high potential rating. He will never be a leclair or jagr. but will be a very good player who will be in the league for a while. But this is only his rokkie season so i cant tell much about his skill, he is doing well though. :clap:

He could easily be a LeClair, ie. unmovable presence in the slot and along the bords. But who could even be a Jagr?

What's scary is that Latendresse is already almost unstoppable when coming out from the corner/board and protecting the puck with his body to get to the slot. Once he has a couple of seasons of conditionning under his belt and has increased his leg strength, he'll be unstoppable.

He could easily be a LeClair, ie. unmovable presence in the slot and along the bords. But who could even be a Jagr?

What's scary is that Latendresse is already almost unstoppable when coming out from the corner/board and protecting the puck with his body to get to the slot. Once he has a couple of seasons of conditionning under his belt and has increased his leg strength, he'll be unstoppable.

I like your optimism.

I only managed to see Lats play live in the QMJHL once and I (at the time) was thinking with perfect development more along the lines of Cam Neely. In the NHL now, he isn't showing much in style, but it will be evident in the next few years; either way, Jagr, Leclair, Shanny, Neely etc no matter who he resembles..... is any of it bad?

Edited by Habitforming

I like your optimism.

I only managed to see Lats play live in the QMJHL once and I (at the time) was thinking with perfect development more along the lines of Cam Neely. In the NHL now, he isn't showing much in style, but it will be evident in the next few years; either way, Jagr, Leclair, Shanny, Neely etc no matter who he resembles..... is any of it bad?

Forget Jagr and Neely. Jagr's blend of skating, size and raw talent put him up there in a very limited elite class. The guy's got 5 Art-Ross, tied with Esposito. Only Gretz, Mario and Howe got more.

Neely was also in a class of his own. You talking about a supreme goal scorer, who scored 50 in 50 one 1 leg; and a very mean power forward.

Step down a notch and you get Shanny level. Kaos was right, Shanny owe his teammates alot, but he also had good consistency and longevity. You're talking a guy who could still pot 40 goals at 36 yrs old in a league supposedly faster. That's what sets Shanny apart from LeClair, who had 5 extremely good seasons then declined steadily. But if you're talking about what type of player Latendresse could be in his prime, that'd be a good comparison point.

However, like I stated before, Shanny and LeClair were primarily goal scorers, guys known for their shot. Where Latendresse difers is that his shot isnt has hard and heavy; but he's almost already a much better passer and playmaker than those two ever were. Just look how right now Lats is the one on his line who controls the puck, set up plays and feed his teammates and you get the type of playmaking you'll usually find in centers. Down the line that might make him much more unpredictable and difficult to counter than typical shoot-first power forwards wingers.

Edited by KoZed

If he can show enough heart for the game, I would say he has the potential to be more of a Ryan Smythe. (My favorite player in the league today) He may not be a point per game player, but he can dig out pucks and be big in front of the net. That's how Espisito made his money. Banging in garbage goals and being strong as hell.

well there's really only two ways for him to go.

To become a giant dud of the likes of Rick Ankiel or a player that has all the tools to be great but just doesn't put it it together (JD Drew) or he'll be a good to great player that gets 30 to 40 and sometimes 50 goals a year and 30-40 assists a year.

basically he's going to end up when all is said and done as a guy who could get anywhere between 70-90 points per year and hits 100 a couple of times in his career.

You guys got it all wrong!

Never can he be Jagr. Jagr is a one of a kind. Few can reach the superstar status this guy has. The best guy to compare him to is Eric Cole. Considering the way Eric Cole tears us up every time he plays us that's a really good thing. Finally we have an answer to him.

latendresse should become a good one... price too...

check out the 2005 draft...

..5 G Carey Price

.45 R Guillaume Latendresse

121 C Juraj Mikus

130 C Mathieu Aubin

190 R Matt D'Agostini

200 R Sergei Kostitsyn

229 D Philippe Paquet

what a crop!

GO :hlogo: GO!