HABS GET KOVALEV!!!

puck7x

Dagenais stays on the 2nd line because:

- he has chemistry with Ribs, he is a major scoring threat on that line, he's useless if not used on the top lines

- Bulis simply doesn't score enough, and he unlike Dags can upgrade the 3rd line

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Bulis-Begin-Ward

Langdon-Perreault-Kilger

- Langdon might even not dress in the playoffs, and they could have Juneau instead for PK duty.

- Perreault would be there for faceoffs & the 2nd PP unit.

- Kilger is a big body who can be inserted anywhere if CJ feels the nedd to make adjustements during the game...

The 4th line will barely get any playing time in the playoffs.

The big question for me will be what happens with Juneau/Begin come playoff time.

And if Gainey makes another deal, which I think he will... then that'll change everything all over again.

P.S. If there's one deal I'm pretty confident in predicting, it would be Sundstrom to CGY before the deadline.

We won't qualify him at 2.2M next year so we'll lose him for nothing, and with Bulis coming down to the 3rd line we don't need him anymore this year either.

I doubt we'll get Gauthier though... maybe just a pick.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:mad: Well thats it I completely give up on Habs fans. This is like the only place where people are actually level headed. :clap:

But to the trade. I really don't like this one at all. A little while ago I actually had the chance to brag about Gainey's ability to remain steadfast in the face of oposition and through the adversity of the trigger happy fans. Well I am still right about that, and I can still brag about that, but this :puke:

I understand the need to dump a prospect or two, I know that Balej was small, but Kovalev??? Man!!! He's a short timer for money, which we need to hold onto for now when contracts expire for the guys we really need to keep: Zed, Koivu, Souray, Markov to list a few. I thought Gainey wanted to build for the future? I know that we really do have a stockpile of prospects, but of all, why Balej? I don't mind the idea of trading Balej, but not for a skill player!!!! For a medium time commitment player who is gritty, you know someone we NEED!!! I don't know about Gainey, but he better have something up his sleeve with this one b/c Kovalev just doesn't fit into the future of the Habs. Montreal is not an easy team to play for. The pressure, especially from those mother f%$@ker fans that want the cup now!!! Check out tsn.ca the your call section on the trade and you'll barf. For once in my life I was happy to see other fans bash us, and rightfully so. We got a player we don't need and we got rid of player who we could have used for more. Okay, sure only second line material at best right? But lets not kid ourselves here, who's on the second line right now: Dags - Ribs - Ryder Now what about Dags? He IMO is not a legitamite second liner and besides he's not all that young. And remember most of the time it takes a fair bit of time for a player to develop - okay we got lucky with Ryder, but honestly how often has that ever happened to us?-. So I am sure we could have got more of what we needed rather than Kovalev. He's not a bad player, not great, but he just isn't what this team needs. So overall I am very disappointed with this and I can see this hurting us later on. I mean MAN:wall::wall: Gainey looks like he's from Toronto management =>:monkey: with this one lol. Too expensive of a rental player for a year that we realistically have to sit back and realize that the cup ain't ours for years to come, but if Gainey keeps this up, well, it'll never happen and I will only have the 93 cup to sit back on and just enjoy the history that once was made by this team. Sure I am jumping a bit here with all this, but honestly, CAN YOU BLAME ME?

:ghg:

Holy smoke!

Mixed reactions from me as well.

But it's one thing that is really good with this trade that no one hasn't mention yet.

We got another Russian in the locker-room. And as far as I know that's something Andrei Markov want's.

Now if Kovalev can click with Ribeiro or Koivu we've got a leathal offensive weapon.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Holy smoke!

Mixed reactions from me as well.

But it's one thing that is really good with this trade that no one hasn't mention yet.

We got another Russian in the locker-room. And as far as I know that's something Andrei Markov want's.

Now if Kovalev can click with Ribeiro or Koivu we've got a leathal offensive weapon.

Yup... Markov plays better with Russians around it seems :)

BTW to the doubters: Just watch a few games with Kovalev as a habs... you'll change your mind.

To the person who said that Kovelev isnt a great player, I disagree. Kovalev's problem over the past year is that he was a New York Ranger, nobody ever has success in New York... Kovalev was a top-5 NHL player 2 years ago.... And he can get there again. And you also said that we should of filled a need? Like getting a grit player? So your saying you'd rather trade Balej for a "mucker" rather then one of the best players in the world? Not me, I wouldnt do that. Kovalev does help us an area we need help, he gives us size! He's 6'2 220, and strong on his skates... HE HELPS US!

And about Balej, I like the kid... But he isnt even in our top-5 prospects. He is expandable. Gainey improved the team without losing anything off the current roster... And I beleive that Gainey will try to sign Kovalev...

Great deal, no question about it imo.

[Edited on 2004-3-3 by puck7x]

I agree.

Kovalev is one of the best. I just wondering wath the Leafs fan are doing right now?

Didn't they wan't Kovalev a year ago?

And if Kovalev will find his game in Montreal this is a very good deal (Did anybody notice that I didn't spell VERY with 2 R?)

And if things go well we should resign him. No doubt.

I have no doubt that there will be a substantial impact with Kovalev added to the line-up. It is the long term effect I am worried about. Hopefully Bob has discussed terms with his agent and maybe he has thoughts of staying around, if we will pay his large salary. Balej was in our top 5 Komisarikek, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hainsley, Balej. Or do you put Hossa above him, I don't include Garon as he has a full time NHL gig already. So who am I missing, anyhow that doesn't matter, it is done and hopefully it works out for the better for the Habs.

:clap::wall::clap::wall:

Can't make up my mind

I have to admit, I'm in shock! I've been saying for over a week now that we shouldn't sell away the future for a one-year fix...I've got mixed feelings on this one....Bajel will be good, but I can't question Gainey on that one....He knows talent...Kovalev has been and could be great....Gainey needed to get the Habs into the second round of the playoffs to cover this year...Hopefully, Kovalev will realize that he's up this year and light it up with Ribs and Koivu...

It should be interesting to see how Kovalev will fit in on team that's work ethic has been winning games....Could be some tension there is Kovi starts to get brain farts on the ice (which happens from time to time)..

Only time will tell, but all in all, it looks like Gainey pulled the trigger on a good one! Keep up the good work!

I think it's an exciting trade for us and I hope we can get the Pens version of Kovalev. That one can bring a lot to the club.

Kovalev's words: http://www.nyrangers.com/pressbox/pressrel...ses.asp?id=1136

Eventually we had to give up a prospect and as much as I wanted to see what Balej could do in a Habs uniform I still think it could be a good trade for us, we just have to wait and see. Hopefully Kovalev will do good and we resign him at the end of the year.

I think the environment is good for him, he didn't fit in with the current Rags team because they have to many stars. In Montreal he has the potential to be the biggest star along with Theo and that would be good for both him and the team.

So, we just have to wait and see, but I'm excited to see what he can bring! And he will defenately boost our PP.

If there's one deal I'm pretty confident in predicting, it would be Sundstrom to CGY before the deadline.  

I'm not so sure about that...

I think Sundström has improved his game lately.

And as for the lines...

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Perreault - Sundström

Juneau - Begin - Dackell

So I think that Kilger and Dackell could be traded. And why shouldn't we be able to find any takers? Their salaries are low and they can help teams that's rebuilding.

I love Perreault but I do realize that many want's him out. But WHY hasn't they've used him on the third with Bulis and Sundström? To me that's a mystery.

Bulis and Sundström can handle the defensive task, Perreault is great at faceoffs and scores from time to time.

The two first lines are set. No further needs. But our third line is still a problem. Even if it's a minor...

I just looked at the recaps from the games we had versus Rangers this year...

In our first game we lost 5 to 1.

Kovalev had one assist.

The second game we won 2 to 1.

No points by Kovalev

The third game was a tie. 2-2

Kovalev with a goal and one assist

The fourth game was a win. 4-1

Kovalev without a point.

Gainey is a smart gm. I'm sure he has considered Kovalev's contract issues. I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey and Kovalev have already talked contract extension. This gives us an incredible boost :/)

All we need now is another solid defenceman.

Our future looks pretty good right now.

"Balej was in our top 5 Komisarikek, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hainsley, Balej. Or do you put Hossa above him, I don't include Garon as he has a full time NHL gig already. So who am I missing"

The top 5 list according to hockeysfuture.com is:

1) Kastsitsyn

2) Perezhogin

3) Higgins

4) Plekanec

5) Hainsey

6) Balej (now Urquhart)

Komi is off the list as he's now considered a graduate.

Slept on THE TRADE and woke up with a few thoughts...

Kovalev's had a few good years but is now on the downside of his career. He's a career 0.81 PPG player who's on pace for 50+ points in 81 games - thats a 0.70 PPG pace if he's lucky. And that's for, what, $6.5-million per? Jeezuz. (Kind of reminds me of the Chris Chelios - Denis Savard trade. Habs got a few spinoramas and the hawks got a Norris-calibre D.)

Anyways, Nobody knows what Balej is going to produce in the NHL but based on his play in Hamilton and his skill level he's projected by some as a 2nd line winger capable of 25+ goals per season. But that goes with a grain of salt...

But, dependent on contract talks, Kovalev is still a rent-a-player in my view - something Gainey said he wouldn't do. And Balej + 2nd rounder is too high a price for a renta-a-player IMO. In other words, Sather probably picked Gainey's pocket on this one.

So why did Gainey make the trade when he said he wasn't going to get a rent-a-player? Boivin and Gillette want playoff income. If the Habs get into the first round they're guaranteed two home games - three if they're lucky(?). I suppose that the Habs' brain trust is figuring that Kovalev's going to get the Habs past the second round into more money.

So, the Kovalev trade was a bottom-line deal, IMO. Sacrifice a small portion of the future for this year's bottom-line.

Originally posted by ch_nl

If there's one deal I'm pretty confident in predicting, it would be Sundstrom to CGY before the deadline.  

I'm not so sure about that...

I think Sundström has improved his game lately.

It has nothing to do with how he's playing, it has to do with the fact we're not re-signing him next year at 2.2M and the fact that with Bulis coming down to the 3rd line we no longer need him.

His former coach Sutter in CGY will be looking to solidify his team for a playoff run of his own... makes sense he'd take on one of his former favorite players from his SJ days.

So I think that Kilger and Dackell could be traded. And why shouldn't we be able to find any takers? Their salaries are low and they can help teams that's rebuilding.

Kilger cleared waivers earlier this year so interest could not be lower, and an extra big body is always handy to keep around come playoff time.

I think he stays.

And Sundstrom has much better value than Dackell, he's younger and a better player. I can see Dackell playing out his career in Sweden... because I don't see any interest in him left in the NHL.

I love Perreault but I do realize that many want's him out. But WHY hasn't they've used him on the third with Bulis and Sundström? To me that's a mystery.

The 3rd line is a defensive line given defensive assignments against the oppositions best lines. Perreault is the ultimate defensive liability.

Mystery solved. ;)

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Perreault - Sundström

Juneau - Begin - Dackell

Ward will be playing on the 3rd line RW IMO, 4th at the very least.... and either Juneau or Begin will center the 3rd line.

I'm starting to agree with habitual habs, as i said before unless Kovalev signs here and plays well, or the habs win the cup this season, this deal makes no sense.

Give up a top prospect for a rent a player?? But it's nice to have a player of his calibre on the team.

I hope BG makes another move for a player who'll help us now and in the future.

As for the guys saying that Dagenais should stay on the 2nd line even when Bulis returns, it's a crazy thought....

The guy is a bum, his 15 minutes of fame are over. The chemistry he and Ribs had first is gone, so i say get rid of him NOW! The guy who writes the game reports is constantly sayin that he's the weakest link on the line everynight. He's hurting the line when you could have a solid player like Bulis there.

My lines:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev(boy that sounds good)

Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder

Begin-Juneau-Dackell

Langdon-Kilger-Ward

Those lines dominated the Devils, and now with kovalev on the top line instead of Perreault it should be even better.

Balej was quite impressive when tha Habs called him up a few weeks ago. He showed some incredible hands but at the same time confirmed what everyone already knew. The Habs have too many good players with the same abilities.

Kovalev is probably one of the most talented players in the NHL. No it did not work out in New York but that is Sather's fault. He just threw a bunch of talent on the ice asking them to score 10 goals a game. Kovalev will be greeted by Julien with a system that will use the best of his talent.

Kovalev will become a terror on the power play for the other teams. We had Ribiero and Koivu to control the puck and both became masters in creating openings for Ryder and others. Just wait till you see Kovelev handling the puck...

Oh my! How scary it will be for the other team...

I'm happy that Bob went out and got us a top notch player in Kolalev, but at the same time he is a UFA at the end of the year and I think if the Habs can't re-sign him then giveing up a young player like Balej is a to high of a price for someone that won't be around next season.

look .. buy yourself a big cold molson beer .. sit back and enjoy the show .. tonight we'll see the habs like we want to see them .. kovalev want his fame back and montreal is the perfect place for him.

look .. buy yourself a big cold molson beer .. sit back and enjoy the show .. tonight we'll see the habs like we want to see them .. kovalev want his fame back and montreal is the perfect place for him.

Originally posted by Spider-Man NL

I'm happy that Bob went out and got us a top notch player in Kolalev, but at the same time he is a UFA at the end of the year and I think if the Habs can't re-sign him then giveing up a young player like Balej is a to high of a price for someone that won't be around next season.  

I think Gainey will re-sign Kovalev this summer because otherwise he wouldn't have traded Balej and a 2nd. Juneau and Quintal will both retire after this season and Perreault is also on his way out. So there is some money available for Kovalev and hopefully the HABS will keep such a talented player in town.

Originally posted by Spider-Man NL

You're right, but like Gainey said (TSN Gainey couldn't pass up Kovalev), they have a surplus of young prospects, and a player like Kovalev at 1 million, it was worthing it for the playoff run.

IMO it's a good thing Kovalev doesn't have a 6 Millions contract for next year. Gainey gets a great player and he doesn'T have his hans tied for next year. Same for Gillett, he isn'T stuck with a big contract when comes the CBA and the aftermath.

I don't say if we were trading all our prospects for a few months rent on superstars (that would hurt our future for sure), but it's the first time we do that in years (if not ever). And if there's a team that can do that.. with the depth we have, we could

I'm happy as long as we don't trade away all our young talent like we did 6-7 years ago. We traded away good kids for washed up vets. Still, I like this deal because I am sure Gainey won't be giving up our future like the old regime did.

Did you guys hear Melnick read off my email on air on the team990? Gave the site a plug to (but forgot to add the .net to habsworld. oh well :) )

<hr>

Hey Mitch.

This is a great trade for the Canadiens, they acquire one of the top-5 talents in the NHL without losing anyone off their current roster. Josef Balej COULD (key word) become a good player, but he is not the type of player that the habs need, we have a million Josef Balej's in the system, Balej doesnt even crack the top-5 prospects list for the habs (Kastistyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hainsey, etc). As for the 2nd round draft pick, big freaking deal? Draft picks are all chance.

Positives about this trade...

- Gives the habs a game-breaker

- Improves depth, Habs can finally put together 2 solid PP units

- Markov gets another Russian buddy to chat with

Jake Wilson

Editor in Chief | HabsWorld – World Wide Habs Fans Community

http://www.habsworld.net/

<hr>

If anyone wants to plug this site for us, go ahead :) ... just dont spam it, their is a difference between the 2 :)