What's next?

Habiman

Whether you like the deal for Kovalev or not over the long term, obtaining Kovalev will certainly set the stage for another, more minor deal to solidify the third line...There just isn't enough room in the lineup for everyone now...(especially after Bulis returns in a couple weeks)....Habs definitely need size and grit up front to get deep into the playoffs....

I'm wondering if Gainey makes another move to solidify the third line by moving one or more of our role players (Perreault, Kilger or Dackell)...I'd love to land a Simon or Barnaby-type...or maybe even another defenseman....

Kind of interesting because I think that Kilger could have filled the role of aggressive agitator, but he just doesn't seem to be into it....not sure what happened there....

I agree another trade is right around the corner, and here is my 2 cents.

I could see any of these players being moved. Dykhuis, Perreault, and Dackell.

I feel a good fit, would be a tough guy with some character like.......:idea:

Georges Laraque

3130.jpg

:clap::hlogo::clap::hlogo::clap::hlogo::clap:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I think Kilger is one of those guys that will explode when on the right team. The guy has skill....He just doesn't fit into our style.  

The guy I want to get rid of is Dagenais. he guy has a great shot but useless after that.

get rid of Dagenais .. ? this guy doesnt make 1million and got his goal scoring.. ribeiro and him make a great line and they cost less than 1.5 together .. 75 pts for 1.5 m .. whats about that ?

Originally posted by Fletch96

Georges Laraque

3130.jpg

:clap::hlogo::clap::hlogo::clap::hlogo::clap:

Georges Laraque doesnt ever want to play in Montreal, he's said it himself in his RDS column... He also said that if Edmonton ever traded him he would retire, or at least not "fight for the team" ...

How pathetic is that? players shouldnt say that.

No thanks on Laraque, I like the mold of player he is (as long as he's on the 4th line) , but Georges doesnt want to be a habs, so we'll have to find someone similar to him who does...

Could it be Brenden Witt from the Caps? Habs scouts have been following the Caps for about two weeks now... and speculation is we're intrested in left side Dman, Witt. He's a tough mobile Dman... I wouldn't mind him for the playoffs one bit...

Souray-Quintal

Markov-Rivet

Witt-Brisebois

Boullion

Man, thats a nice top 7 D.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/mtl27.html

Why trading Dackell? :?-

I think he is a very underrated player ... he is an intelligent, defensive player who is a big part on the PK. I wouldn't trade him for someone like Barnaby or Simon. Both are taking too much stupid penalties, they should better stay with the Rangers. ;)

[Edited on 3-3-04 by habsfannr1]

i agree, dackell is a useful player for defensive situation. but in many, many games this season, he and his linemates (juneau and sundstrom) has created offense by their fine work deep in enemy territory; cycling the puck and such. He could be a consistant scorer too if he had better finishing skills.

Here's a thought, and bear with me here, I'll try and put some coherency to them:

Hainsey, Hossa, + (where plus may be Bouillon) for Grier and Witt

Hainsey and Hossa have been continual disappointments and both have attitude problems - Hainsey has a large one along with a rumoured occasional sniffing problem as well. Witt and Grier are both free agents - but Group II which means Montreal would have the right to match. The going rate these days for any player who is of high enough calibre is a prospect and a pick. The roster player fills the picks. Since Washington is reloading, this kind of deal fills numerous needs.

You may call that pricey, but from what I understand, the two prospects in this deal are being shopped around rather significantly - thus lowering potential worth. As to Bouillon, he's doing well, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have Witt as my third left defenceman because he's good with the puck (Cube is better) but much better off the puck, and he'll clear a crease like there's no tomorrow - exactly the kind of player you need heading into the playoffs. For Washington, Bouillon has a two-way contract next year, as I recall, which is bonus round for them.

Therefore, I think if you add those two to the equation:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Grier - Ribeiro - Ryder

A very solid one-two punch

Bulis - Juneau - Sundstrom

Effective checking line that routinely neutralized large threats.

Langdon - Begin - x

These two at least are great at what they do, and best of all Begs can fill in almost anywhere.

Souray - Quintal

Markov - Rivet

Witt - Brisebois

Theo

Garon

...I think you have a team that has an outside shot at a Cup. Yes, it's just an outside shot, but when you consider that this is, as Bob McKenszie said today, "The end of the world as we know it," going into the new CBA, it's not a bad idea indeed. The best part about it all is we're still really well stocked in Hamilton and we have some of the best scouts and talent evaluators who will probably give us a very good shot at filling any holes we make in the upcoming draft or two. In other words, Gainey making a deal like this sends out a giant vote of confidence for Savard and his team.

Hainsey and Hossa haven't done a lot to impress the staff in any way this year, and I, for one, have never been overly impressed with Hainsey thus far. While getting Grier and Witt over two prospects makes us somewhat older, I don't think it sacrifices much of the future since they'd both be with us for at least a handful of years to come with new contracts which would inevitably be signed (again, Group II).

Just my thoughts.

ACF

Guy! Not a bad analysis. It would definitely shake things up and stuff. I am trying to look at this and add a BUT to it, but <== there it is, I really can't. I mean, sure we don't see Komi in the playoffs, but with all due respect to him, I am not too sure he's all that ready for playoffs anyway!! I know Komi is a fan favourite, and I like him too, but give the guy some time. Sometimes pushing someone too far or too hard leads to a flop. Guy! if I were the owners and you were the GM I would give the go ahead and a big pat on the back for making a trade that makes sense on so many different levels!!! That is as long as Wash bites. Ya I know I highly doubt it'll happen, but interesting spin nonetheless.:/)

This may be a little off-topic, but does anyone know if Kovalev is really intended to be a rental player? I like this guy alot and he's got tremendous skill and as he told the rangers site, that he wanted to just start over with a younger team. I don't want to ONLY have this guy for the remainder of the season+playoffs.

so does anyone know how long we are intended to keep him?

So what's next?

I'd say that Sundström, Perreault and perhaps Kilger won't be with the team after the trading deadline. As some of you mentioned, Sundström would be too expensive for the next season (same thing with Perreault). So perhaps we'll get another D-man for the left side in exchange for Perreault and Sundström.

Some of you also mentioned that Witt is going to Montréal for Hainsey and a 2nd, but that would be a way too much for such a player.

Originally posted by Guy!

Here's a thought, and bear with me here, I'll try and put some coherency to them:

Hainsey, Hossa, + (where plus may be Bouillon) for Grier and Witt

Hainsey and Hossa have been continual disappointments and both have attitude problems - Hainsey has a large one along with a rumoured occasional sniffing problem as well. Witt and Grier are both free agents - but Group II which means Montreal would have the right to match. The going rate these days for any player who is of high enough calibre is a prospect and a pick. The roster player fills the picks. Since Washington is reloading, this kind of deal fills numerous needs.

I have yet to read one reliable source say Hainsey and Hossa have work ethic or attitude problems. The implication that Hainsey is a coke head is also ridiculous.

Hainsey and Hossa remain as 2 of our top 6-7 prospects....to trade them for a depth d-man and a grinder like Grier is just ridiculous IMO. Let alone add in a useful 7th d-man like Bouillon.

I completely disagree with your entire analysis.