Senators Jumbotron Gaffe

Spider-Man NL

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottaw...362794-sun.html

On the slippery surface, the Senators were near perfect yesterday.

On the video scoreboard, however, they committed a major faux pas.

During a first-period stoppage in a skit promoting the team's Hockey Night in Barbados fan contest, Spartacat forced a fellow wearing a Montreal Canadiens jersey to jump off a ship.

Most any other game, against any other opponent, and the pre-taped schtick might have been mildly amusing. But with the Habs in town, it was extremely distasteful.

On Dec. 8, Bob Gainey's daughter Laura was swept off the deck of a ship in the Atlantic Ocean. Her body was never found.

The NHL and its followers mourn the loss of the Habs' GM's daughter, and the Montreal media was immediately outraged at the Senators indiscretion.

"It was disgusting," Yvon Pedneault, who does play-by-play on RDS, told his audience and then Cheapseats during the intermission.

"If you know Bob Gainey ... it's just a lack of respect. It's such a big tragedy, and to make fun of it? The guy is having such a tough time. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, to tell you the truth."

The Senators spent a chunk of the afternoon doing damage control for the unintentional yet nonetheless stupid and careless disregard of a sensitive situation.

After the game, CEO/president Roy Mlakar said that he and owner Eugene Melnyk had already issued apologies to Habs president Pierre Boivin and managing partner Foster Gillett.

If there is one small consolation, it's that Gainey was not in attendance.

"We humbly apologize for the unthinkable oversight," said Mlakar. "There is no excuse for such bad judgment."

None whatsoever.

Edited by Spider-Man NL

Maybe next home game vs Sens we can start with a video of Havlat scoring for Hawks, Hossa scoring for thrashers and Chara laying guys out as a Bruin, followed by clips of pucks going past Gerber.

Im not sure I get it.

They showed a video on the tron showing someone in a Habs jersey getting in to the water from a boat? Was this video recorded before the tradegy with Laura?

Have they showed this video before?

While I am pissed at what was shown on the jumbo-tron, I think it is an automatic video that the Sens play every game, only the jersey changes. This time happened to be the Habs, and I think it could've just been a coincidence. However, that being said, the Senators should've been more smart about it and thought before they played that video.

I could be wrong about the whole "coincidence" thing, if they did in fact mean to show that and it wasn't a coincidence, then THAT is brutal.

Every Dog will have its day and some will have two!

I demand Eugene Melnik, John Muckler and Brian Murray make a public apology :angry:

This is sickening. The Hockey Gods will punish them. Obviously the "O" in their 1910 vintage jersey actually means "0" / ZERO

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Any respect I had for the Sens is now gone.

I totally agree, what happened to Laura Gainey is something really unfortunate, something you'd never want to happen to anyone, even your enemies. By doing this the senator organisation has shown their true faces and they've shown how low they can actually stoop. How shameful it must be to be part of the senator family eh?

Deepest and heartfelt condolences to Bob Gainey and his family for their loss.

Go Habs Go!

I demand Eugene Melnik, John Muckler and Brian Murray make a public apology :angry:

This is sickening. The Hockey Gods will punish them. Obviously the "O" in their 1910 vintage jersey actually means "0" / ZERO

It has already been done CEO/President Roy Mlakar made a public statement apologizing for the mistake - saying it was absolutely unacceptable and that there is no excuse for that. It has been online and in several papers here in Ontario today.

This was not a case of us in Ontario intentionally slighting the Canadiens, and especially the Gainey family itself.

It was an insensitive dumbass mistake and nothing more...

Apologies were issued and it is now time to move forward! :mellow:

agreed seems it was a recurring thingy they do on the screen with an animated character wearing the opposing team's jersey. The whole gag is on auto-pilot, let's not hate the Senators because of this. Hate is an emotion which is mean and hurtful -- we need to save up all of ours for the leaf and the bruins :P

Yeah, it was a mistake on their part. It's not like they were sitting in a room in the arena, thinking "how can we do our best to offend Bob Gainey?".

Perhaps they should have had the foresight to change the thing, but it's human to make mistakes. Let's not blow things out of proportion.

This was not a case of us in Ontario intentionally slighting the Canadiens, and especially the Gainey family itself.

It was an insensitive dumbass mistake and nothing more...

Apologies were issued and it is now time to move forward! :mellow:

I agree. It was a HUGE oversight, but I could see how they could have overlooked it. There were a lot of Habs fans in my section, and I think I was the only one that actually clued in. And by the time I had driven home, word of the apology had already been posted online. The Sens org hustled to fix their error.

Still, I sure hope someone got in trouble for it. I hope it was Spartacat.. man that thing is creepy!

Edited by lazy26

An unfortunate incident and I sure can forgive them. Besides theres bigger things to worry about than some tasteless attempt at humour. Like the poor play on the Montreal Canadiens in Ottawa.

Anyways a regrettable incident and we should all move past it

It is a huge oversight and a terrible mistake I am sure one or two people lost their jobs or were given a sever talking to. I hope this had no intent.

Either way I do hope the Habs crush the Sens a few time this season.