Something Wrong In The Dressing Room

zumpano21

After the recent slide, it's become apparent to me that we are not the victims of bad luck in this losing streak. The guys aren't trying, there's a lot of unforced errors and no one's skating. The guys just look disinterested - and that's all that matters at this level because everyone's talented. It's just a matter of who wants it more. And our guys DO NOT WANT IT.

My take on the situation is that something is awry in the dressing room. And the only thing that comes to mind is how the second line has not been broken up (i.e. Sammy and Kovy) regardless of the fact that they get 20min of ice a night and do not put points on the board. In doing so, they are taking minutes from the other guys who want to contribute and make a difference. While this may have been tolerated for the first 40 games, I fear that the camel's back has been broken.

End result - if Carbo does not change the system, he will lose the dressing room.

If I could add to this line of thought!

They way we respond to this slump is also important; its Carbo's first chance to prove Bob picked him to coach this team for a reason. We will see what this team, this organization, this city and us yes, her fans are all made of!

GO HABS GO!

Im not going to reject your point... its is a possible outcome...but unless the initial reports from the team were false it would be just logical that a bit of tension (perhaps more) is now above their heads in the locker room... but it seems there is still a tight fit outside the rink... Now unless ur right it might be showing on the rink perhaps

I just hope the team analysis the vids... the analysis from the RDS crew is SHITE regarding the plays of Perezhogin... that aint what was happening thats was a rookie mistake... the other stuff is what The RDS loser coach should be pointing out!

simple as...

why did the puck seem to follow the Detroit players and the equivalent for the Habs wasnt possible!

Why were detroit players able to enter the Habs zone with little resistance and the contrary far less possible?

why were the drop passes common and un-tested and the habs couldnt aim the puck to each others sticks?

etc...

According to Carbo its cause they are not working! and it leads to sloppy plays and amateur judgements and results ... "NO TALENT" (Carbo 2007)

Carbo was furious after the game, and for 1nce i was watchign the after match thing on RDS, and for once I got to agree, they are right somehow, when we tell some Vancouver fan do you know anything bout the Habs, they'l answer stuff like Kovalev, Koivu... It gives a bad image to the team when the "main" players are playing like shit. Kovalev seems to be the Captain, not even, coach of the team, he seems to be taking decisions on his own, when Lapierre said he'll be taking the pucks in the corner and stuff, Kovalev said he'll do it and all Lapierre will have to do is stay infront of the net cause he wouldn't mind if Lapierre would take his goal, but if he wants that to happen, then he and Sammy should start getting shots on nets... It's been half of the year and were the starting the remaining half like shit, if they continue playing that way, Carbo will have to step in and fix them up and i'm sure that will include trades.

Interesting theory; I'm not sure about it, though. Everyone was singing the praises of the team's culture a mere month ago - all this talk about chemistry, etc.. So what the heck happened??

The other problem is that we went through EXACTLY the same kind of slump (only worse) at about this point last season. And at the time everyone was blaming the Three Amigos. What's going on, that the Habs suddenly hate each others' guts every December-January? :blink:

Still, there may be something to it. Myself, I suspect that this is the toughest part of the schedule - the mid-season blahs kick in, everyone's got aches and pains and nobody is geared up yet for the stretch drive - and that, when a team hits the skids in this context, players snipe at each other, the way you get annoyed at a roomate when you're snowed in in February.

And I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Kovalev is the key. This is the moment when the guys that have been carrying this team, Koivu and Higgins and Huet and Souray, really need Kovy to step into the breach. Instead he's doing his usual half-interested routine. I wonder if Koivu gave him the business? (Wasn't something similar rumoured to have happened last season?)

I am in total disgust with kovalev and to me his attitude is a cancer for this amazing team.

But, i hope kovalev can mature and start acting accountable and responsible, i swear he reminds me of a neglected child sometimes

And he thinks that skill alone is the key to success...for shame Mr. Kovalev

I think the time is due to let him sit in the press box for a game or two so he can realise that he is not THE team

Edited by umpalumpa55

I am in total disgust with kovalev and to me his attitude is a cancer for this amazing team.

But, i hope kovalev can mature and start acting accountable and responsible, i swear he reminds me of a neglected child sometimes

And he thinks that skill alone is the key to success...for shame Mr. Kovalev

I think the time is due to let him sit in the press box for a game or two so he can realise that he is not THE team

That would send the wrong message the way to motivate Kovalev is give him what he wants not punish him. I know it sounds terrible but thats the way it is.

That would send the wrong message the way to motivate Kovalev is give him what he wants not punish him. I know it sounds terrible but thats the way it is.

Well, there's an interesting story bout Kovalev from his rookie days in New York. He was infuriating his teammates because he took extra extra long shifts, so Mike Keenan kept him out on the ice for a 7 minute shift.

Unfortunately for Kovalev's development, he scored during the shift on a bit of a flukey goal. And afterwards, he told the media that he wasn't going to change a thing about the way he plays. :lol:

Now if only Keenan had smacked some sense into him, then he might be as valuable as Jaromir Jagr.

If what Kovalev wants is a decent center, then please Bob...give him one!!!

Its getting harder and harder to dismiss the fact that Montreal needs a trade. Its a perfect time to dump Sheldon Souray. Teams are starting to key on him on the powerplay and take away his shot. Its only going to get worse and his goal total is going to come to a halt. Hes about the only guy the Habs have who is worth something out there in the NHL and he's not worth signing next year at the $5 + million that some other GM is willing to pay. They guy is a pylon with a hard shot. I like him, and wish he could stay, but hes the one guy who can be dealt and will make this team better...ie a true #2 centre.

So is he a cancer? Well, it's hard to imagine him setting a good example in terms of work ethic.

And in terms of what he brings to the table, right now he's on pace for a 59pt yr, hardly a respectable total for a guy of his skill calibre getting good icetime.

It seems Kovalev struggles the most when he's solely counted on to be the offensive weapon, which he can't do consistently. He does best when he's merely a complementary asset and other guys are scoring more consistently.

Its getting harder and harder to dismiss the fact that Montreal needs a trade. Its a perfect time to dump Sheldon Souray. Teams are starting to key on him on the powerplay and take away his shot. Its only going to get worse and his goal total is going to come to a halt. Hes about the only guy the Habs have who is worth something out there in the NHL and he's not worth signing next year at the $5 + million that some other GM is willing to pay. They guy is a pylon with a hard shot. I like him, and wish he could stay, but hes the one guy who can be dealt and will make this team better...ie a true #2 centre.

But could Souray really get a #2 centre in return? I personally he really could garner only another UFA-to-be centre, and chances are it wouldn't be Patrick Marleau, Daniel Briere or any cream of the crop.

I don't understand why the fans have to find a goat it is just a slump after the team played over it's head for two months.

The point is that they are not as good as they shown in November and they are not as bad as they are showing in January. They are somewhere in the middle of that.

Something really good is gonna happening for that team : the All Star break.

I don't understand why the fans have to find a goat it is just a slump after the team played over it's head for two months.

The point is that they are not as good as they shown in November and they are not as bad as they are showing in January. They are somewhere in the middle of that.

Something really good is gonna happening for that team : the All Star break.

Thank you for your reasonableness.

Here's a good blog about the Habs' recent struggles. The most important part:

quote: "Trade him", "demote him", "call him up". That is all most people can manage to say when they are frustrated with the team.

Could a move help? Certainly. Speculating on every single player and transaction possible is futile, if a good deal can be made to improve the team then Bob Gainey will make it. Bottom line.

You don't know what it will be or when it will be especially with Bob. (endquote)

And no, Souray cannot be traded for a good second line centre. Maybe a good second-line-centre-to-be, i.e. another prospect. Even if Bob could do it, we would then bemoan the lack of offence from our powerplay and defence corps.

The answer has to be found in the existing lineup. They've got to battle through it. The team's coaching and leadership will see them through this rough patch.

Begin can ring motivation to the team, that's why I always liked him, but he was suppose to be out for a week or so, but now it's been over 2 months so I'm waiting for him to come back, and Bonk too, it would do the team some good.

Couldn't agree more. Souray's value will get less and less from here to the end of the season. I think he is not only surprising the media and fans with his career season but himself too. IT WON'T LAST. He is not the real deal ooooozing with genuine talent. Bob should trade him now as a 1st line ALL STAR.

What we get in return could make us contenders. A second line center who will challenge Koivu for the first line and a prospect defenseman or high draft pick.

Think about it for a second. A talented center will ignite any line the habs put him on. Take pressure off the first line which will produce more goals and consistent play from everyone. Enough goals to exceed what Souray has given us up to now. With the right player we will not miss him at all.

We may have to wait a little longer to see what teams are out of the playoff picture....That way Gainey will be able to pick off a true star and get more bang for his buck. If Gainey is going to shell out five million to someone next year I would rather give it to someone that is going to help put a few Habs in the top twenty scorers, not Souray who is over-achieving.

I just believe its a lack of confidence... its only normal for a team to lose its confidence when ur in a slump, if confidence wasnt a factor in hockey, teams like buffalo or anaheim would never lose... but look at buffalo right now, even theyre losing, and thats because at some point in the season you lose confidence due to a loss, injure or wtv other factor isnt apparent to the public.

The team will get out of the slump, hopefully sooner tthan later.

How much I like Souray, I think that this is the solution for him, chances are he'll ask for a bigger contract and not play well after, I'm tired to see Koivu as a God here, he isn't as good as the top players in the NHL, but in Quebec, they talk about him like he is the savior of the Canadian, he isn't the best player but they talk about him like he is, we need somebody better, Koivu will need to be replaced soon, i'm not sure the Chipchura will take over Koivu now, they'll be someone between Koivu and Chipchura, just don't know who it can be.... And if they ever do a trade, make sure that they include Niinimaa in it...

I just believe its a lack of confidence... its only normal for a team to lose its confidence when ur in a slump, if confidence wasnt a factor in hockey, teams like buffalo or anaheim would never lose... but look at buffalo right now, even theyre losing, and thats because at some point in the season you lose confidence due to a loss, injure or wtv other factor isnt apparent to the public.

The team will get out of the slump, hopefully sooner tthan later.

Ya, what a bummer....this would have been such a good time for the HABS to get it together and catch the Sabers. Instead Ottawa and Carolina are up our butts and almost sure to catch us as Atlanta passes us. If the Habs aren't carefull we could be battling for the eight spot, Bruins, Tampa, N.Y, even the LAFFS are not far behind........All of the sudden our great season looks to be quite average compared to the other teams.

The Versus announcers said exactly what I've been saying much of the season: Samsonov is doing nothing but stealing ice-time from Latendresse. Lats has shown he can handle playing on one of the scoring lines and he actually gives consistent effort. The best way for him to improve is to give him icetime, especially after he showed he could handle it while Higgins was out. He is our biggest and toughest forward, we need him banging people around and standing in front of the net, opening the way for skilled linemates to make something happen.

I just wish Guy would try putting Kovalev and Koivu together on a line for a few games. Even better, Put Koivu in between Kovalev and Samsonov. If that doesn't get that line going Nothing will. It wouldn't hurt to try that for a couple of games. I hate second guessing coaches cuz they have a tough enough job without fans and media second guessing their every move. But to the best of my knowledge thats pretty much the only combo that hasen't been tried.

One thing that hasn't been tried for any length of time is BONK on the 2nd line. I know he's hurt right now, but Bonk has experience centering talented wingers and might bring some size to that line. It's unfortunate that Bonk is out at precisely the time when Guy would be most likely to deploy him in this role. But it does suggest that toughing things out until he returns might make some sense.

As for Souray - I've made the case in earlier threads that his performances over this season and the previous two (IF you exclude the first half of last season when he was suffering through a humilating divorce) prove that he is consistently a 20-goal, 50-point defenceman. I can live with trading him, or even losing him as a UFA if his demands are too much, but please, DON'T kid yourself that we wouldn't be losing a top-10 (possibly top-5) offensive defenceman in the NHL.