Jim Dowd for a 4th round pick

bombTHEice

TSN has learned the Montreal Canadiens have acquired centre Jim Dowd from the Minnesota Wild for a fourth-round draft pick. Details to follow.  

So this is the right handed center Bob Gainey was seeking for.

I think Dowd is a good veteran who can play on the checking line alongside Begin and Dackell/Sundström or on the 4th line. ;)

So that means the end to Joe Juneau with the Habs i guess. Juneau is an unrestricted agent this summer.

Dowd is defentively an upgrade on Juneau. I didn't see Juneau go on the playoff run. Everytime he's on the ice it looks shaky..

He had a good career, but now it's time to go. Time to rest your back Joe.

Looks like the end of the line for Perreault and Juneau in Montreal.

Koivu, Ribs, Begin and Dowd are a decent group of centres.

Trade Perreault, and see if the Habs could get anything for Juneau. If not, release him or send him to Hamilton.

If the Habs deal Perreault then I think they'll keep Juneau around for the rest of the year for depth if nothing else...maybe rotate Juneau, Begin and Dowd in the line-up for the rest of the year.

I like this move alot... Dowd is another former cup winner. We added two of them in the past two days.... A look at out playoff lineup.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Dags-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Dowd-Ward

Juneau-Begin-Dackell

Sunny, Kilger, Perreault, Langdon... don't have a spot

So my guess Gainey isn't done dealing.

Dowd certainly knows how to play on the defensive zone.. since Lemaire brought him back to Minnesota after having him in NJ when he won the Cup.

He's 48% on faceoffs, so he's not a replacement for Yanic. I personally think that Juneau is on the way out. I can't believe we'll keep Joe ahead of fresh and explosive Begin.

Zednik Koivu Kovalev

Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder

And the 2 bottom lines? I have no idea

Centers:

Perreault

Begin

Dowd

Juneau

Wingers:

Dackell

Kilger

Langdon

Ward

What when Bulis, Sunny come back ??

My thoughts:

Bulis Perreault Sundstrom

Begin Dowd Ward

good luck Julien! !:o

Hey if we don't trade Perreault... hows this look?

Perreault-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Dowd-Ward

Juneau-Begin-Dackell

Souray-Quintal

Markov-Rivet

Boullion-Brisebois

Komi

Theo

Garon

Dags, Langdon, Sunny and Kilger on the sidelines.

Komi is going to be great, but are you sure you feel alright with him stepping in as a 6th Dman if someone gets hurt? He isn't ready to play 10+ mins in a playoff game. Anyways, we need to get deeper on LD...

Souray

Markov

Boullion

Not nearly deep enough.

Cool, I'm pretty pleased with picking up Jim Dowd. There's one of those grinder/hard working guys that the Habs needed to add. Averaged about 14 minutes of ice in Minny. I would expect him to center the 3rd line.

So far, Gainey has now added Begin, Langdon, Kovalev, and Dowd to the fold, without losing any roster players. Curious to see who's next! With all the bodies the Habs have now, someone from the roster will have to go.

Wow, I really like this trade for Dowd.

Legitimate checking line center that's good on faceoffs, does all the little things you want, and has lived in a defensive system for years (New Jersey, Minnesota), so he won't need much time to get used to ours (which is a huge advantage, because he'll probably see a lot of ice time against the top lines in the league)

I think he'll be as good defensively and probably add a little more production out of the 3rd line C spot then Juneau.

If Bulis ends up on his LW then I like that line a lot...

Although I can see Bulis the top lines over Dagenais...

I don't think trading sundstrom is smart. AND DEFINTLY DO NOT TRADE DAGENAIS....thats one thing i can't stand to hear. He's very young, and can really score. He's got a great shot..

Yes, I do not think the dealing is done, the habs will go after a solid D-man AT LEAST. but hey, its gainey, hes great, and he might have some tricks up his sleeve. He may pick up a D-man but that might not be it!

The addition of Dowd is Gainey's way to bring some coaching help for the younger players during the playoffs. Of course Dowd adds a little bit more finesse and weight to either the third or fourth line but he also brings some experience to show to guys like Begin and Ward. These two are not getting much anymore by watching Juneau and Perreault play.

But that addition leaves a lot of players to sit in the press box every night..?