Arar gets $10.5 million settlement...

fromage

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070126/...arar_settlement

Syrian-born Canadian citizen was detained in New York and deported to Syria on suspicion of terrorist links. The RCMP had provided unsubstantiated information about him to the Americans which led to him being deported.

He was given $10.5M as a settlement from the gov't of Canada and was given a personal apology by Harper.

What I don't like is that the tax payers are paying for this $10.5 settlement. It should come directly from the pockets of those officials involved. But nooo, a whole country has to pay for it.

There's no liability with government officials. They just throw taxpayers' money at problems they caused. ###### that.

Yep, and of course asides from the RCMP chief (who was on drugs or something and kept flip flopping during press conferences to get himself fired) not a single bureaucrat was canned. Or I dunno, maybe some got a stern talking to or something.

Of course the US does, otherwise it would be them who owe him the money. I can't believe that us taxpayers are on the hook for this!

who the heck else is going to pay for it if it's going to get paid?

if our government pleads guilty... we pay... if our government pleads innocence... we don't pay...

it's that easy...

GO :hlogo: GO!

if our government pleads guilty... we pay... if our government pleads innocence... we don't pay...

it's that easy...

Who the heck else is going to pay? The US who actually deported him to Syria to get torture?!? As someone else suggested, the people who sent him?!? (Because if we paid 10.5$ it was because some law was broken, and not a problem with our system.)

If anyone had asked me, or 80% of the population of Canada, we would have never okayed deportation to Syria based on speculation ... so why should I, or the other 80% pay for it? If you haven't noticed Canada needs money. Montreal's streets are falling apart, the hospital system needs revitilization, our Canadu reactors need to be overhauled. Our Country needs money, and I spend too much in taxes ... so why should I pay for someone else's mistake? If it was the RCMP who were at fault it isn't even as though you cna say that we voted for them.

The guy deserves compensation, but not from me, or from 30 million other Canadians. Either it was an illegal decision by people at the RCMP (not my fault, if I do something illegal at work, I am responsible for this).

Or

The US, who, the world knows, uses countries like Syria to extract information by torture (proxy).

BTW, Harper only did this for the good press. Most Canadian's believe that Arar was wronged; I'm sure they don't think they are personally responsible for it though.

it's that easy...

It should come out of the pockets of those directly involved.