Abi isnt so bad...

Aebischer4life

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished reading '10 Good Reasons For A Better 2007-08 Season' on the HW front page,

Aebischer's "I've got the pin, where's the grenade" goaltending style

:lol:

Never heard that before. Good one.

He played for my AVS and got traded, He played for my Habs and was not signed.

I am in total belief that he is just not good enough to be a starter. He will disappear into the NHL nothingness with Yashin, Bondra, Mogilny and so many more....

Bye Bye Abi.

I have no idea how Patrick Roy endorsed this guy to be Colorado's full time starter.

The guy was streaky, and even when he was hot he was flopping around like a fish, scrambling to get in to position.

I would be surprised if this guy is signed to an NHL contract this summer. I have not had a goalie make me cringe like that in the Montreal net since the days of Bunny Laroque or Red Light Racicot.

See you Abby. I would say don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, but I know from your positioning....nothing ever hits you.

Edited by Wamsley01

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213761&hubname=

"We're talking to several teams, and hope within the next five days we'll get something done," said Aebischer's agent Kurt Overhardt.

As per all this trash talk, Aebischer couldn't save our season, yes... but neither could Huet at the time before he got hurt. In fact, before Huet got hurt, Aebi was playing better than Huet during our struggling session. We leaned on our goalies way too much, anyways. I don't hold any ill will towards Aebi as a result. He's never supposed to have been a saviour, so I don't see the point in chastizing him for not completely on his own righting a sinking ship.

It's just easier for people to blame fringe players for the failures as opposed to the people who really desrve the criticism.

great points on Huet, you can't give up 40 plus shots a night and expect to win.

It's just easier for people to blame fringe players for the failures as opposed to the people who really desrve the criticism.

great points on Huet, you can't give up 40 plus shots a night and expect to win.

Unless your the Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Nashville, and it was 32.7 not 40.

In the playoffs though you are correct of the 4 semi finalists 3 allowed fewer than 28 shots per game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213761&hubname=

As per all this trash talk, Aebischer couldn't save our season, yes... but neither could Huet at the time before he got hurt. In fact, before Huet got hurt, Aebi was playing better than Huet during our struggling session. We leaned on our goalies way too much, anyways. I don't hold any ill will towards Aebi as a result. He's never supposed to have been a saviour, so I don't see the point in chastizing him for not completely on his own righting a sinking ship.

I don't care if Huet could not save the season. There is a difference between not standing on your head and letting in unscreened slapshots from the blueline, flopping around scrambling to get back into position after overpursuing, and generally losing games in which an average goaltending performance would have sufficed.

The guy is a sieve. He was a sieve in Colorado behind a good team. Placed in a bad situation he looked brutal. It is unlikely he will ever start again in this league.

I don't care if Huet could not save the season. There is a difference between not standing on your head and letting in unscreened slapshots from the blueline, flopping around scrambling to get back into position after overpursuing, and generally losing games in which an average goaltending performance would have sufficed.

The guy is a sieve. He was a sieve in Colorado behind a good team. Placed in a bad situation he looked brutal. It is unlikely he will ever start again in this league.

I'm just saying... he also won us a lot of games early in the year that we shouldn't have won. He still had his faults back then (big rebounds, scrambling), but he played well. Neither goalie could prevent the slide and yes, some goals got to be of the brutal variety (and same with Huet, but he seems to get a pass because he got hurt and people just remember Aebi after Huet got hurt for some reason). Halak did well because he was relatively fresh, although he wasn't incredibly spectacular. Plus Halak couldn't win on the road at all.

The team was just too awful in front of the goalies to blame any of them. It was a collective failure.

Aebi did well his first year as a starter in Colorado behind a good team (2003-04). And I would hardly call the 2005-06 Avalanche a "good" team, they were merely a playoff quality team.

I'm not even a big Aebischer fan or anything... I just find this slagging of him misplaced. He's an average NHL goalie... nothing more, nothing less. And that's what we paid him to be ($1.9m is not a starters' salary).

I'm just saying... he also won us a lot of games early in the year that we shouldn't have won. He still had his faults back then (big rebounds, scrambling), but he played well. Neither goalie could prevent the slide and yes, some goals got to be of the brutal variety (and same with Huet, but he seems to get a pass because he got hurt and people just remember Aebi after Huet got hurt for some reason). Halak did well because he was relatively fresh, although he wasn't incredibly spectacular. Plus Halak couldn't win on the road at all.

The team was just too awful in front of the goalies to blame any of them. It was a collective failure.

Aebi did well his first year as a starter in Colorado behind a good team (2003-04). And I would hardly call the 2005-06 Avalanche a "good" team, they were merely a playoff quality team.

I'm not even a big Aebischer fan or anything... I just find this slagging of him misplaced. He's an average NHL goalie... nothing more, nothing less. And that's what we paid him to be ($1.9m is not a starters' salary).

I don't think it was misplaced at all. The guy had some games that were unbelievably brutal. Biggest example being the Leaf game that the Habs were dominating through 2 periods 5-2. The Habs got up 3-1 then he lets in a brutal goal by McCabe unimpeded from the blueline to put the Leafs back in the game. The Habs then re-establish the lead and he gives up 2 brutally soft goals in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd period.

He did this on numerous occasions all season.

As far as 2005-06 Avalanche go he had a 26% drop in Save Percentage and I remember the Colorado fans blaming him for the team's failures as well until he got hot (which streaky goalies do) and won 7 in a row.

The guys positioning is brutal, he is always fighting to get back into position. This is shocking considering he apprenticed under the greatest positional goalie of all-time in Patrick Roy.

While Huet fell apart in the second half, at no time did he allow 2-3 soft goals in a game. Maybe 1. Abby is deserving of all the hate as far as I am concerned...but to each his own.

Aebi is crap. When he's hot, sure he's good, but you need a goalie you can rely on. But I confess to no 'hatred' of the guy. He just didn't work out.

On a related matter, did Huet really 'fall apart' in the second half? I remember maybe three bad games before he got hurt, but people talk as though Huet just collapsed. Does anyone have any stats vis-a-vis his mid-season pre-injury slump? Just trying to get a bead on this.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Aebi is crap. When he's hot, sure he's good, but you need a goalie you can rely on. But I confess to no 'hatred' of the guy. He just didn't work out.

On a related matter, did Huet really 'fall apart' in the second half? I remember maybe three bad games before he got hurt, but people talk as though Huet just collapsed. Does anyone have any stats vis-a-vis his mid-season pre-injury slump? Just trying to get a bead on this.

I think Huet's SV % in January was in the .890 range. I remember he had the best SV% in the NHL in December and he finished the year with a .916 SV%. He was in the .930 SV% range at one point in the year... a bad January took a big chunk out of that number.

Basically, his slide occured as soon as he got named to the All-Star team.

Does anyone have any stats vis-a-vis his mid-season pre-injury slump? Just trying to get a bead on this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3062/s...7tFdIbEcL1ivLYF

October: 2-1-2, 2.93 GAA, .899 SV%

November: 7-2-0, 1.63 GAA, .954 SV%

December: 6-3-1, 2.76 GAA, .921 SV%

January: 4-5-0, 3.69 GAA, .888 SV%

February: 0-4-0, 3.41 GAA, .892 SV%

April: 0-1-0, 4.70 GAA, .860 SV%

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3062/s...7tFdIbEcL1ivLYF

October: 2-1-2, 2.93 GAA, .899 SV%

November: 7-2-0, 1.63 GAA, .954 SV%

December: 6-3-1, 2.76 GAA, .921 SV%

January: 4-5-0, 3.69 GAA, .888 SV%

February: 0-4-0, 3.41 GAA, .892 SV%

April: 0-1-0, 4.70 GAA, .860 SV%

yeah, looking at those stats, you realize Huet only had Nov / Dec that were really good months, and otherwise had a relatively average, if not below average year. Abby is not dependable, but he DID win us some big games early on, that as much as he lost a bunch late in the season, he made up for right at the begining. With Abby's play it was a wash from Fantastic to awful; since he won us as many games single-handedly (I believe) as he lost us single-handedly, I don't buy the "we would have been in the playoffs if not for Abby" argument. We wouldn't have been, because you can bet there were at least 8 points or more he stole for us early in the year with those 1-goal difference games we won.

Huet didn't fall apart, the team collapsed around him. Anyone who actually watched the games could see Huet still playing well. The only people who say Huet played poorly are the same people who rant and rave how Price should be our starter next year. Sickening. :puke:

Huet didn't fall apart, the team collapsed around him. Anyone who actually watched the games could see Huet still playing well. The only people who say Huet played poorly are the same people who rant and rave how Price should be our starter next year. Sickening. :puke:

Huet was part of that collapse, he was as bad as everyone else. Huet played poorly and I don't think Price should start next year in Montreal. Boom. There went your theory.

I don't thik Price should start next year, i think Huet was average at best last year. He is very streaky and hasn't shown any ability to play alot of hockey.

I say let the best Goalie start. Just like with the players. You perform and earn your ice time.

Well, Huet is a good goaltender. He had a slump - so do all goaltenders. But, the big question is whether he can actually play 50+ games a season and he hasn't answered that to date.

Aebischer is weak in terms of positioning. He flops all over the place and has terrible rebound control. However, it's true he can occasionally steal a game or two. But you guys are giving him way too much credit if you think he stole as many games as he virtually singehandedly lost...He's just not starter material, plain and simple, as he's simply too streaky. More or less every game he manages to let in a weak one, and those kinds of goals are the ones that kill a team's momentum.