Keep Samsonov!

habsfan88

After watching this guy play this year, and hearing how people want him gone because of his struggles, I hereby disagree.

Sure, he is making 3 mill. a season, and if an amazing deal came around I'd pull the trigger, but this guy is constantly working hard and hustling and BACKCHECKING every night. He hasn't scored like his contract should suggest he will, but I find it hard to be frustrated with a guy who hardly ever gives the puck away, backchecks, hustles and goes into corners despite being one of the smallest players in the league. Every pass that comes off his stick is a tape-tape pass to another player and recently he has been deciding to get the puck on the net instead of stick handle for too long or pass at a glorious opportunity. With the right chemistry, this man is going to return to the 60 or 70 point player he can be, and I will have a feeling he will be next years Bonk. Samsonov gives EFFORT, it's not like he's half assing out there despite trade rumors about him. Another thing that I love about this guy's play is that he always seems to be the 3rd defenceman back. He'll be in the opposing teams end, and they will start to break out, a 3 on 2 and the next thing you see is Sammy (the only forward back) skating hard and fast back in to the play to help break things up.

Constant hustle, gorgeous passes, backchecking and fighting in the corners for the puck and constant EFFORT is what I admire in the player, and unless a stunning deal comes around that we could not refuse, give Sammy another chance, please Gainey.

Edited by habsfan88

Not going to the freakin net.

only latendresse, koivu and higgins are willing to pay the price.

That's a certain playing style though, he can be coached to do that. There are MANY players in the NHL who work around the perimeters of the zone, Carboneau can teach him to, thats what coaches are for.

I have defended Samsonov all year long and I believe he will be the 2nd highest scoring forward for the Canadiens come playoff time.

I just remember how affraid I would be during his time in Boston he was always the Bruins most dangerous forward.

That's a certain playing style though, he can be coached to do that. There are MANY players in the NHL who work around the perimeters of the zone, Carboneau can teach him to, thats what coaches are for.

at his age, I really doubt that you can teach him how to go to the net more often and get an odd stick in the face or a crosscheck. it's hard to teach a guy how to pay the price when it's not in his personna. it's not the way he way taught, younger.

he's been brought for one reason: scoring points. he's being paid an awesome amount of money to do so and he has not done at all.

he should not being outscored by a rookie who started his first 13 games on the 4th line.

His main problem is that he was not playing his kind of hockey style but Kovalev valet style.

He has now more space and oppurtunity to control the puck on the third line.

I feel sorry for Perezhogin because he was working well with Johnson and Bonk but Samsonov gives this line more crunch.

When it comes down to it, even if you like the guy you have to admit that his game is scoring goals. Players like him just aren't worth the hassle if they can't put the puck in the net, and he just hasn't shown it this season. It's not entirely his fault though. He's just the kind of guy who's used to playing with better players and suceeds when he's with those kind of players. Put him with Koivu and there might be something.

If they could figure out some sort of way to get a decent centre for him and Kovalev, he might get scoring, he might not. To quote a cliche, this isn't the right "fit" for him here in Montreal. Sure, he'll probably finish the year here but he isn't going to want to play third line minutes here next year as well. I think at this point Samsonov would like to go to a team that has a good second line centre and would like to pick up a winger, and I think Gainey would like to acquire someone else.

When it comes down to it, even if you like the guy you have to admit that his game is scoring goals. Players like him just aren't worth the hassle if they can't put the puck in the net, and he just hasn't shown it this season. It's not entirely his fault though. He's just the kind of guy who's used to playing with better players and suceeds when he's with those kind of players. Put him with Koivu and there might be something.

If they could figure out some sort of way to get a decent centre for him and Kovalev, he might get scoring, he might not. To quote a cliche, this isn't the right "fit" for him here in Montreal. Sure, he'll probably finish the year here but he isn't going to want to play third line minutes here next year as well. I think at this point Samsonov would like to go to a team that has a good second line centre and would like to pick up a winger, and I think Gainey would like to acquire someone else.

Your post is very accurate. I just can't get frustrated with a player who I know is really trying out there. I don't have much patience for lazy plays or lack of effort, but when a player such as Sammy is giving his all I respect him highly for that and I like him as a player. Also, he chose to come to Montreal instead of the other offers he had from other teams. We don't often as a city get chosen over a team like Detroit who was rumored to be after Sammy as well.

If he keeps his play up, and finds chemistry, things are going to start going his way.

Edited by habsfan88

Your post is very accurate. I just can't get frustrated with a player who I know is really trying out there. I don't have much patience for lazy plays or lack of effort, but when a player such as Sammy is giving his all I respect him highly for that and I like him as a player. Also, he chose to come to Montreal instead of the other offers he had from other teams. We don't often as a city get chosen over a team like Detroit who was rumored to be after Sammy as well.

If he keeps his play up, and finds chemistry, things are going to start going his way.

Wow, offered to go to Detroit, where his off-season home is, and came here? that's crazy...

Wow, offered to go to Detroit, where his off-season home is, and came here? that's crazy...

If you are being sarcastic, I'm sorry I didn't know that his off-season home was in Detroit. My point was that Montreal can sometimes have hard times attracting UFA's as we all know, and Samsonov decided to come here despite other offers.

Thanks for gathering the general point of my post though.

If you are being sarcastic, I'm sorry I didn't know that his off-season home was in Detroit. My point was that Montreal can sometimes have hard times attracting UFA's as we all know, and Samsonov decided to come here despite other offers.

Thanks for gathering the general point of my post though.

Not sarcastic at all. I meant it. Most players would go where they live in the off-season. His wife is from there... I just wonder if it's true because it's so unlikely? Maybe detroit wasn't offering the same kind of money...

Not sarcastic at all. I meant it. Most players would go where they live in the off-season. His wife is from there... I just wonder if it's true because it's so unlikely? Maybe detroit wasn't offering the same kind of money...

From what I remember Detroit offered a very similar deal, while Edmonton offered the most. I believe Samsonov wanted to play in the North East division.

Not going to the freakin net.

only latendresse, koivu and higgins are willing to pay the price.

I'd put Ryder and Perezhogin in that group as well...unfortunaltey the results are the same for everybody. The puck just isn't going into the net

After watching this guy play this year, and hearing how people want him gone because of his struggles, I hereby disagree.

Sure, he is making 3 mill. a season, and if an amazing deal came around I'd pull the trigger, but this guy is constantly working hard and hustling and BACKCHECKING every night. He hasn't scored like his contract should suggest he will, but I find it hard to be frustrated with a guy who hardly ever gives the puck away, backchecks, hustles and goes into corners despite being one of the smallest players in the league. Every pass that comes off his stick is a tape-tape pass to another player and recently he has been deciding to get the puck on the net instead of stick handle for too long or pass at a glorious opportunity. With the right chemistry, this man is going to return to the 60 or 70 point player he can be, and I will have a feeling he will be next years Bonk. Samsonov gives EFFORT, it's not like he's half assing out there despite trade rumors about him. Another thing that I love about this guy's play is that he always seems to be the 3rd defenceman back. He'll be in the opposing teams end, and they will start to break out, a 3 on 2 and the next thing you see is Sammy (the only forward back) skating hard and fast back in to the play to help break things up.

Constant hustle, gorgeous passes, backchecking and fighting in the corners for the puck and constant EFFORT is what I admire in the player, and unless a stunning deal comes around that we could not refuse, give Sammy another chance, please Gainey.

Yep. I gotta agree. He's really been working hard lately. He just hasn't been able to finish.

Skating fast, working hard, chasing pucks, backchecking, setting up opportunities and great puck control. The only thing missing from his game is goal-scoring. I have a feeling that is coming soon.

Does anyone still think that Sammy has no place on this team?

Skating fast, working hard, chasing pucks, backchecking, setting up opportunities and great puck control. The only thing missing from his game is goal-scoring. I have a feeling that is coming soon.

Does anyone still think that Sammy has no place on this team?

The one thing he is paid for he is not doing. I am frustrated that people have been making excuses for him all year long. After a month, and 2 and 3. He has done nothing. People kept saying, "Wait until February, then he'll start scoring." That is garbage, it's now February so what is the excuse going to be come March 1? The guy is an absolute dud!! Who cares if he works hard? Using that logic would mean that if we had a fighter that went out every night and got into a fight and got his ass handed to him game in and game out you guys would be happy with that because at least he's trying? Hardly, you expect your fighter to win, because that is what they are paid for, why do you expect any less from the guys that are paid to score? I couldn't care less what his effort was, as long as he scored-that is his job.

I remember when I was suggesting to demote him to the 3rd line instead of Pleks because he was the cancer on the line rather than Pleks, and everybody attacked me and said, "that's ridiculous to have Samsonov of the 3rd line because he's not a checker, blah blah." Now everybody is talking about how good he is on the 3rd line. Amazing.

As for him finishing the year in Montreal, I'm sure you're right about that, but not because BG isn't trying to unload him, it's because he has absolutely no trade value.

I think it's funny how everyone keeps calling for his head, he one of a VERY FEW players who play hard everynight. True he is paid to score, but so is Koivu, Ryder, Kovalev who haven't done much all year. I am well awarwe those guys are the point leaders but the don't have alot of points. They are also minus 30.

It's crunch time, if the Habs want to make the playoffs, the top 6 not just Samsonov needs to step up there point production.

I think it's funny how everyone keeps calling for his head, he one of a VERY FEW players who play hard everynight. True he is paid to score, but so is Koivu, Ryder, Kovalev who haven't done much all year. I am well awarwe those guys are the point leaders but the don't have alot of points. They are also minus 30.

It's crunch time, if the Habs want to make the playoffs, the top 6 not just Samsonov needs to step up there point production.

I agree with you, but Koivu is not going anywhere, Ryder is doing exactly what we have all come to expect from him, at least what I knew he would do. He is a streaky player who goes on streaks and at 1.9 million a year, he is doing his job, as he's paid to do. Kovalev is getting older and is infamous for this type of play. When we got him, I knew he was lazy and would only come to play every 4 or 5 games and that is what he does. I also think he is way too overpaid and I won't make excuses for him either but he like Koivu is most likely not going anywhere, and despite all that I can add that as bad as our forwards are playing Samsonov dollar for dollar is playing the worst by a long shot, not that the others don't deserve criticism but I like to focus my displeasure on the one that deserves it the most.