Anybody know anything about Crescent Street?

Canajun

Hey all, my brother (Isles fan) and me (Habs fan) will be up in Montreal for the weekend and going to the Habs-Isles game this Saturday afternoon. And of course, heading to the bars afterward. Does anyone have any recommendations of good places? Mostly Irish pubs and that kinda thing are what we're looking for... not big crazy discotheques.

Thanks!

(I'm trying to snag tickets for the Habs/Pens game Sunday afternoon too... I just found out that the Penguins were in town that same weekend only a few days ago. Dummy I am.....)

Crescent has a lot of places, Winston Churchill's and Thursdays are the classic Crescent St Pubs, just north of Ste Catherine street. The more franco-oriented spots are over on St. Laurent ("The Main") north of Sherbrooke, and east from there.

Hurley's is on crescent, below st catherine. Brutopia is right beside it, not "irish" but still a cool pub, has unique brew pub beer, younger crowd. Madhatters is also across the street, another younger place, all have good irish/british beer on tap. Trois Brasseurs is also a brewpub right on St Catherine and Crescent, beer not as good as Brutopia.

Parrallel to crescent, 1 block west there are a couple of irish pubs. O'Regan's below st catherine, and McKibbon's one block up between st catherine and de maissoneuve.

Avoid Winston Churchill's and Thursday's unless you are looking to pickup cougars. Crappy beer there too.

Hey all, my brother (Isles fan) and me (Habs fan) will be up in Montreal for the weekend and going to the Habs-Isles game this Saturday afternoon. And of course, heading to the bars afterward. Does anyone have any recommendations of good places? Mostly Irish pubs and that kinda thing are what we're looking for... not big crazy discotheques.

Thanks!

(I'm trying to snag tickets for the Habs/Pens game Sunday afternoon too... I just found out that the Penguins were in town that same weekend only a few days ago. Dummy I am.....)

la cage aux sports might be one of the best place to watch a hockey game.

Avoid Winston Churchill's and Thursday's unless you are looking to pickup cougars. Crappy beer there too.

Well I've been out of Montréal for 20 years so those were my only Crescent Street recollections, actually I used to DJ on Crescent Street in 1980s, before some of you were born, anyway sure there are more popular places now but tradition has its charm too hehehe

:unsure: What are "cougars"?

there a pub on peel between ste catherine and rené levesque( it's not the peel pub) I think it's o'reagans..anyhow, just don't go there, the beer sucks. worst I've ever drink.

McLean's, for the more Republican among us. Brilliant pints, sh*te music. After a few pints you don't notice the music.

Actually cited by the Guinness guys as having the best pints on the whole Eastern seabord.

By Republican I of course mean Republican Irish.

Edited by tokyohabs

Cresent is the #1 tourist destination in Montreal ... which includes Montreal Subberbanites. I hate the place. But if you are in to Meet (meat) markets and crappy music then you will probably love it. Just bring a lot of $$ as you will need to buy drinks in order to meet ... and watch out for the of testontoroned inmates that are out looking to meet too. Perhaps you will meet someone that some troglodyte has been eyeing up all evening ... and bamb, you are fighting outside the burger king on your way home, while 10 cop cars come out to ask no questions.

If you are going to do the Cresent thang ... I'd suggest below St-Cats. Or as someone said, Cage aux Sport is good. Or if you want a taste of the real MTL check out Champs or Frappe on St-Laurent street (actually, Le Pistol is the best spot, but good luck finding a seat).

Crescent isnt that bad. I live near it and Id say most of the bars I named are amongst the best in the city, infact they stack up a lot better to lower st laurent, especially if you like great beer, which you wont be getting at pistol or vol de nuit. Infact the only really redeeming thing about lower st laurent is cafe campus (woo maximum 80s night this saturday!!).

Sure it can get a little ridiculous in the high tourist season, but what doesnt? Ok I guess you can go to the upper st laurent plateau area, but who wants to hang out with a bunch of emo freaks.

Crescent isnt that bad. I live near it and Id say most of the bars I named are amongst the best in the city, infact they stack up a lot better to lower st laurent, especially if you like great beer, which you wont be getting at pistol or vol de nuit. Infact the only really redeeming thing about lower st laurent is cafe campus (woo maximum 80s night this saturday!!).

Sure it can get a little ridiculous in the high tourist season, but what doesnt? Ok I guess you can go to the upper st laurent plateau area, but who wants to hang out with a bunch of emo freaks.

There is a lot of great beer in the Plateau. Elsie's is just one example. Also, if it is beer you are after you should check out St-Denis street, or St-Laurent above Marie-Anne (it doesn't just end at Avenue des Pins).

The Pubs near Cresent do have good beer ... that is why I suggested below St-Cats. But try finding a good beer above St-Cats and you will pay way too much for it.

St-Denis [plateau] v Crescent [how to call it? anglo downtown? downtown "b"]... you can't compare... it's like comparing Paris to London, two great cities, but so different.

but overall:

Clubbing -> St-Laurent

Pubbing -> Crescent surroundings

Partying -> St-Denis / Plateau

St-Denis [plateau] v Crescent [how to call it? anglo downtown? downtown "b"]... you can't compare... it's like comparing Paris to London, two great cities, but so different.

but overall:

Clubbing -> St-Laurent

women--- st denis on an early sunny may day when all the nice ladies come out of the cégep and university. you have a beer at les 3 brasseurs terrasse and enjoy the scenerie.

but overall:

Clubbing -> St-Laurent

Yeah I would agree. Except that maybe these days old montreal would rank ahead of St Laurent for clubbing, which has gotten kind of stale.