Kovalev and Dowd

What do you guys think so far?

I think Dowd looks awesome. It's like he has been playing with the Habs all along. I like the guy :/)

Kovalev looks nervous. I think Koivu will have to adjust his game a bit. He is used to doing the majority of the work out there. I think he needs to let Kovalev do his thing.....learn to be part of each other. Give these guys a few games to gel and I think we have a pretty good line.

:ghg:

koivu was putting up points without him. how about

Kovalev Dowd Dackell/Kilger

Ryder Ribeiro Dagenais

Zednik Koivu Perrault

Ward BeginJuneau langdon

When Kovalev returns that is.

wow 4 lines, and a spare center still need a LW for the Koivu line though. I say bring up Hossa like we did at the end of last year and see if he is ready. He hasn't played nhl since November. give him one more chance this season to prove himself.

:idea::hlogo:

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

koivu was putting up points without him. how about  

Kovalev Dowd  Dackell/Kilger

Ryder Ribeiro Dagenais

Zednik Koivu Perrault

Ward BeginJuneau  langdon

When Kovalev returns that is.

wow 4 lines, and a spare center still need a LW for the Koivu line though. I say bring up Hossa like we did at the end of last year and see if he is ready. He hasn't played nhl since November. give him one more chance this season to prove himself.

u wanna put dowd and dackell or kilger on the 1st line ? are u crazy or what ? ;p dowd is a really good 3rd, 4th liner and he prove it yesterday .. but c'mon he's not 1st line material

I like the Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev line. They just have to get used to each other. If you look at when they were on in the first period, Kovalev would make lots of little moves to create some time then fire off a pass. Nobody was expecting it. We're used to Bulis or Zednik coming down the wing and either dumping the puck or losing it. So it's a matter of expecting a pass that not many players are able to make.

Secondly, I think Perrault on the 2nd line works. Perrault - Ribeiro - Ryder. Ribeiro is one of the worst faceoff centers in the league right now. Let Perrault take the important draws, then switch over to the wing afterwards. It makes this line able to play in big situations in the playoffs and gives them the ability to skate without Pierre Dagenais.

I don't care what people say, I LIKE Dagenais on the third line with Begin and Ward. That's a big guy (or a big guy and two guys who play really big) line. Dagenais has slowly been learning that he needs to use his size more to stay in the lineup. Having those three on the line makes us an even more legitmate threat. Begin and Ward are very responsible defensively, but own limited offensive skills. Dagenais could benefit working with two guys who play with their heart and soul and forecheck like someone stole their baby.

The fourth line looks really good too, although it pains me to say this...we need another enforcer. I love Langdon, but we needed a Simon-type player. Someone who can score a bit AND fight. That way we could get some 4th line scoring from Dowd working the body, Dackell working the corners, and the cycling game they play so well. Ah well, Langdon will always be there with a smile and a late bodycheck. Can't blame him for trying.

[Edited on 2004/3/6 by Toren]

Originally posted by Toren

I like the Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev line. They just have to get used to each other. If you look at when they were on in the first period, Kovalev would make lots of little moves to create some time then fire off a pass. Nobody was expecting it. We're used to Bulis or Zednik coming down the wing and either dumping the puck or losing it. So it's a matter of expecting a pass that not many players are able to make.

Secondly, I think Perrault on the 2nd line works. Perrault - Ribeiro - Ryder. Ribeiro is one of the worst faceoff centers in the league right now. Let Perrault take the important draws, then switch over to the wing afterwards. It makes this line able to play in big situations in the playoffs and gives them the ability to skate without Pierre Dagenais.

I don't care what people say, I LIKE Dagenais on the third line with Begin and Ward. That's a big guy (or a big guy and two guys who play really big) line. Dagenais has slowly been learning that he needs to use his size more to stay in the lineup. Having those three on the line makes us an even more legitmate threat. Begin and Ward are very responsible defensively, but own limited offensive skills. Dagenais could benefit working with two guys who play with their heart and soul and forecheck like someone stole their baby.

Agreed.

I saw definite potential for the Zednick-Koivu-Kovalev line. That it's going to take a little bit of time to gel when you've added a player like Kovalev is a given, but I really think that if they stick with it, it'll pay off in spades. And I wasn't unhappy to see Dagenais play on the third line, either. I think you're right about the potential there, and at the very least he just doesn't do it for me at his current effort on the second, goal or no goal last night.

I think that Ribeiro is improving in the faceoff circle. It's his first real year as a center. Lately he got winning % above 50. He isn't Perreault, but I'm sure he'll keep improving. Anyways, you CAN'T pur Ribeiro on the wings. It's impossible. He's the playmaker. And also, why complains about him when he's the Habs top scorer? I think he's fine there.

Personally, I really didn't like Kovalev's first period. The problem is Zednik. That will be hard to put Kovalev and Zednik on the same line IMO. They were constantly on the same spot, both looking at Saku make all the plays and waiting for the puck. Bring Ryder with Saku or Kovalev.

If it was only me, I'd put Kovalev with Ribeiro and Bulis, while Ryder is with Koivu and Zednik. Ribs instinct is very high and can match Kovalev's moves.

Koivu is great to set his own plays, but kovalev cannot read them, it was pretty obvious. THe difference btw Koivu and Ribs, is that Ribeiro can read the play and make unbelievable moves, while Saku creates unbelievable moves and his teamates have to read Saku's play. I don't know if my explication is easy to understand.. sorry about that lol.

Ryder Koivu Zednik

Bulis Ribeiro Kovalev

Bégin Dowd Ward

Langdon Perreault Sundstrom

Originally posted by sakiqc

Personally, I really didn't like Kovalev's first period. The problem is Zednik. That will be hard to put Kovalev and Zednik on the same line IMO. They were constantly on the same spot, both looking at Saku make all the plays and waiting for the puck. Bring Ryder with Saku or Kovalev.

If it was only me, I'd put Kovalev with Ribeiro and Bulis, while Ryder is with Koivu and Zednik. Ribs instinct is very high and can match Kovalev's moves.

Koivu is great to set his own plays, but kovalev cannot read them, it was pretty obvious. THe difference btw Koivu and Ribs, is that Ribeiro can read the play and make unbelievable moves, while Saku creates unbelievable moves and his teamates have to read Saku's play. I don't know if my explication is easy to understand.. sorry about that lol.

Ryder Koivu Zednik

Bulis Ribeiro Kovalev

Bégin Dowd Ward

Langdon Perreault Sundstrom

i get that... its a good idea too, but i still think kovalev should be with koivu-zednik... just give em some time and maybe they can all get used to each other. but if they can't get it together than yeah.. mix up the lines again

Originally posted by sakiqc

I think that Ribeiro is improving in the faceoff circle. It's his first real year as a center. Lately he got winning % above 50. He isn't Perreault, but I'm sure he'll keep improving. Anyways, you CAN'T pur Ribeiro on the wings. It's impossible. He's the playmaker. And also, why complains about him when he's the Habs top scorer? I think he's fine there.

I never said Ribeiro should play wing. I said Perrault should take the important faceoffs and then switch to the win right after the faceoff.

I don't think that Julien should change the zednik-koivu-kovalev line. They are all players, but kovalev is from a completely different team, he needs some time to get used to how the habs play, and how koivu and zednik play. Don't break them up, and don't worry, they'll be putting the puck in the net more then u'd ever think.

u wanna put dowd and dackell or kilger on the 1st line ? are u crazy or what ? ;p dowd is a really good 3rd, 4th liner and he prove it yesterday .. but c'mon he's not 1st line material

Are you one of those guys that believes Koivu is a bonafide first line center? I love the guy, he is a great leader and a fantastic player, but I rate him as a top notch 2nd line center. We don't have a first line center in this organization. Except for Higgins and Urqhart and they aren't ready yet. Zed and Kova both play the same wing normally. And why hang on to perrault, who is a great face off man but surely not a first line winger, maybe put Yanic on with Kovalev and one of our various week left wings. We still need a strong winger.