S. Kostitsyn - London

Kjell Dahlin

He know has 100 points on the season, and is within 3 of Sam Gagne. That kid Kane though has 121 points. How great would it be to get him in the draft and then have Sergei and Kane in the AHL together next season?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He know has 100 points on the season, and is within 3 of Sam Gagne. That kid Kane though has 121 points. How great would it be to get him in the draft and then have Sergei and Kane in the AHL together next season?

well, Kane's only 17 so he can't play in the AHL next season. But he might be NHL ready. :o

it's amazing - both Kostitsyns have been on fire lately.

Kostitsyn is the first euro in over 6 years to hit the 100 point mark in the O.

that a great stat. that kid's going to the right school with the hunters

I was watching a bit of that game in between action from Montreal as it was on the local cable channel here in K-W. It was a great game to say the least. He looked great at both ends of the rink last night. He definitely was a major factor on a few occasions in the offensive zone on the forecheck, as well as in the defensive zone. He saved London's butt a couple of times in the third period and in the O/T - although Mason was huge in the nets last night for London. He was fabulous as he saved that game several times. Mason was the main reason London was able to win that one on the road - he was a well deserved first star choice, and even got a loud ovation for his play from the Kitchener fans who were still there after the game!

However Kostitsyn was very solid. In my opinion, as far as I could see he isn't riding the shirttails of anyone on that London team - he's got a lot of potential.

Edited by beliveau1

I was watching a bit of that game in between action from Montreal as it was on the local cable channel here in K-W. It was a great game to say the least. He looked great at both ends of the rink last night. He definitely was a major factor on a few occasions in the offensive zone on the forecheck, as well as in the defensive zone. He saved London's butt a couple of times in the third period and in the O/T - although Mason was huge in the nets last night for London. He was fabulous as he saved that game several times. Mason was the main reason London was able to win that one on the road - he was a well deserved first star choice, and even got a loud ovation for his play from the Kitchener fans who were still there after the game!

However Kostitsyn was very solid. In my opinion, as far as I could see he isn't riding the shirttails of anyone on that London team - he's got a lot of potential.

Beliveau1, I am wondering if you saw a hit Sergei made on Steve Downie. I didn't see the game but I heard that Kostitsyn had the best hit of the game. Apparently it was a clean hit and he laid out Steve Downie who needed help getting to the bench. If you saw it can you give your opinion.

Beliveau1, I am wondering if you saw a hit Sergei made on Steve Downie. I didn't see the game but I heard that Kostitsyn had the best hit of the game. Apparently it was a clean hit and he laid out Steve Downie who needed help getting to the bench. If you saw it can you give your opinion.

Unfortunately flipping back and forth between the 3 games I had on the digital that night, I missed that hit. However I did see him hit Downie at one point in the game, It was a good hit that knocked him off his feet and and off the puck on a great forecheck just inside the Ranger's blue line. That particular one was an excellent example of how strong he seems to be? He was all over the ice whenever I did happen catch a chance to get a look at him!

Unfortunately it was on while the Canadiens were playing, so I was flipping over to it and the Leafs game which was on the 'Laffs' Channel - as a :hlogo: fan I had to catch a bit of Boston beating them! :lol:

Wish I had seen it though..... as Downie can be an ornery dude?

Okay I'm watching London versus the Sault on Sportsnet east. Kostitsyn looks great. He's had 5 or 6 end to end rushes and Greyhound players have pulled him down four (edit: now five, re-edit: should be six but the refs let it go as the Knights were already on the PP) times for penalties (its halfway through the 3rd as I write this). He skating very well with good speed, handles the puck well and showing excellent vision. He needs work on his defensive play but I am amazed at his improvement since a year ago (when I last saw him play).

He has also had a ton of ice time. He is playing a regular shift on the first line, as well as being on the first PK unit and playing the point for the entire PP.

Edited by Peter Puck

Okay the game is now over. Knights won 4-3 in overtime. Kostitsyn found Sam Gagner all alone in front from behind the net for the OT winner. Kostitsyn got 3 assists.

I am really pleased with his progress. I hope he can keep up the improvement next year in the AHL.

This guy is somethin else

2 Question: I looked him up and noticed he was drafted by Montreal in the 7th round???? First off, why is he already drafted by us and Gagner is being drafted this year? Secondly, how did we get such a talent in the 7th round!?

This guy is somethin else

2 Question: I looked him up and noticed he was drafted by Montreal in the 7th round???? First off, why is he already drafted by us and Gagner is being drafted this year? Secondly, how did we get such a talent in the 7th round!?

Kostitsyn's older than Gagne. As for why he was still around in the 7th round, apparently nobody scouts Belarus all that much. Supposedly we didn't knnow much about him, but since we had his brother, we took a chance and got lucky. This guy is abolutely on fire this year. And if the youtube of him crushing Steve Downie is any indication, the kid can dish it out.

Kostitsyn's older than Gagne. As for why he was still around in the 7th round, apparently nobody scouts Belarus all that much. Supposedly we didn't knnow much about him, but since we had his brother, we took a chance and got lucky. This guy is abolutely on fire this year. And if the youtube of him crushing Steve Downie is any indication, the kid can dish it out.

Thanks for clearing things up

Man, this kid looks sick!!! I just need to see him play in action not enough stuff about him...

I was looking around on youtube and found this

The Kid is a pretty hard hitter too.

Edited by Nesquik

I saw Kostitsyn the younger play live today versus the Kingston Frontenacs. I didn't think he was as good today as when I saw him play on TV a couple of weeks ago.

He scored two more goals and an assist (he also scored 2 goals last night including the game winner with 3 minutes to go against Belleville) to move into third place in league scoring. He has 36 goals and 79 assists. He is currently on a 25 game point streak with 20 goals and 51 assists during the streak. He finished the game plus-3.

His skating, puck handling and strenght are all are much much better than last year. He has very good vision and anticipation but I would like to see him work harder. Perhaps he is conserving some energy though since he probably played something like 25 minutes. At one point in the second period he played 3 straight minutes (with a couple of whistles) ending this sequence by scoring his 2nd goal (which was kind of cheap).

The Knights powerplay starts in their own end by giving Sergei the puck and lettting him carry it up ice and over the opposing team's blueline. When he has some space he really looks dominant.

I was extremely impressed with his linemate Patrick Kane (currently ranked 4th by ISS for the upcoming draft). This kid is a wizard with the puck, a great skater and strong for his age. Kane scored 2 goals and three assists (to take over the OHL scoring lead) and finished plus-5.

Sergei's other linemate, Sam Gagner, didn't impress me as much as Sergei and Kane. Of course Gagner is 9 months younger than Kane who is 16 months younger than Sergei. Gagner did get a goal and an assist and is tied with Sergei for third in OHL scoring. Gagner is 8th in the ISS rankings.

Not everyone agrees with me though. The 3 stars were #1 Kane, #2 Gagner, #3 Kostitsyn.

All three are around +35 for the year as well. They aren't just dominating on the power play. Scary thing is, they seem to get better as the year goes on. If all three had played the full season so far, they would be up around 150 points apiece, with Kane a possibility to hit 200.