The rumor that just won't go away

Habs77

Again today on other boards.. the O'Neill rumor has picked up steam again.

Someone is saying Radio 850 The Buzz in Raleigh is reporting that Jeff O'neil has been traded to the montreal canadiens. Hill is not part of the deal.

They now say O'Neil has been traded for prospect Marcel Hossa and a first round pick in 2005.

Once more, take it for what it's worth... but that's the latest rumor people are talking about.

Well if a UFA like Kovalev cost us Balej & a 2nd rounder... why is O'Neill for Hossa & a 1st so shocking?

At least we know he'll still be our property next year.

I don't know if I like the deal, but I have no problem believing that's the price for O'Neill.

Anyway the latest on the rumor is that the deal seemed done with the Habs, but now Dallas has entered the picture... Rutherford is now talking to both teams, we'll see who wins out.

Or could it end up being a 3-way deal?... Gainey & Dallas working together, or fighting tooth & nail over O'Neill... one or the other ;)

Originally posted by Habs77

Well if a UFA like Kovalev cost us Balej & a 2nd rounder... why is O'Neill for Hossa & a 1st so shocking?

At least we know he'll still be our property next year.

Don't the Habs hold an option on Kovalev for next season?

I still believe that if Kovalev's just a rental that Balej & a 2nd rounder is too high a price. 2005 is supposed to be deep (or is it just the Crosby phenom?) so Hossa & a 1st for O'Neill? Too high for my liking given the fact that Hossa appears to be turning the corner in Hamilton and has the size, skill and speed that Gainey and Savard so covet...

[Edited on 2004/3/7 by habitual_hab]

Are O'Neill and Hedican really worth a solid LW, and top prospect, and a first round pick? Doesn't seem like it to me, and I don't even like Hossa that much. He has not done well in the NHL. But then again, it took Ribs a long time to develop. I just don't like this trade that much. We've already shipped a prospect and 2 draft picks.

i appreciate trying to bolster our roster with these deadline trades, but you gotta think about team chemistry. If we change our lineup too much do we risk screwing up the locker room? I know that the locker room is supposed to be screwed up already and maybe new guys that don't have alliances would lessen some tension, but I just don't think it is a good idea to have like a third of the roster inhabited by pickups. I like what we have so far, and maybe pick up another d-man but thats it.

Don't forget - sheldon comes back relatively soon and our d line get a nice upgrade from a rested and rearing to go all star.

Originally posted by habitual_hab

This from Hockey's Future:

There is a rumor in the VIP RED Zone from RDS that says that the habs are close to landing Jeff O'Neill and Brett Hedican for Hossa, Bulis and a 1st rnd pick.  

I'm a member of RDS "VIP Red zone".. so I can tell you that there's nothing about it there. Don't give a cent for that Red zone if you want to get scoops. We got the Kovalev and Dowd trade on top of the HabsWorld website as a big news way before I received the "Red Alert Email" from RDS.ca VIP thing..

But it's good to be member, especially when you don't have access to RDS TV.. you can get some good things like press conferences.

I don't know about this one.

It would be great to add O'Neil. But we have allready aquired Kovalev. And Dowd.

If a trade should be made I hope it is Dackell, Kilger or Hossa going.

And if we are going to deal Sundström I hope it's for a defensive right winger to have on the third line.

I don't think we need to add another top six forward. We have Kovalev, Zednik, Koivu, Ryder, Ribeiro and Dagenais.

The only one that's not top six material is Dagenais, but he has chemistry with Ribeiro. So keep him there.

The third line is the hardest one. Whom to have and whom to be on the fourth.

We have Begin, Ward, Bulis, Dackell, Perreault, Dowd and Juneau.

In my opinion we should have Sundström - Perreault - Bulis.

But if Sundström was traded the whole idea was messed up. And Dowd was impressive...

Read other posts, so you don't have to report things twice  

??? I was responding to your post, not repeating news "twice"

Is Sweden druggy?

Ok no harm done, I reacted because you put in a subject  

Yeah, I did sorry I am new here and I just learned how to do quotes!

Anyway, what about Daze? Any chance we get him today?

Yes, I recently read on www.thefourthperiod.com that the Habs have sent scouts to a few B-hawks games to look at Daze. I also read that the hawks aren't interested in picking up his contract next year (at 3.something mill). Daze has had back problems in the past, however if we could get him for a decent price (Kilger and a draft pick?), he would certainly be a good fit - take Dags spot on Ribs line. What do you guys think? he is a risk w/ his back trouble, but he is a heck of a player - better goal scorer that O'Neill.

Originally posted by jojoshabadu

Yes, I recently read on www.thefourthperiod.com that the Habs have sent scouts to a few B-hawks games to look at Daze.  I also read that the hawks aren't interested in picking up his contract next year (at 3.something mill).  Daze has had back problems in the past, however if we could get him for a decent price (Kilger and a draft pick?), he would certainly be a good fit - take Dags spot on Ribs line.  What do you guys think?  he is a risk w/ his back trouble, but he is a heck of a player - better goal scorer that O'Neill.

I would be all for it, Montreal is one of the few teams that can stock up on hometown boys so we should when we get the chance. I'd rather have a Montrealer than someone from Manitoba or Russia, all other considerations being equal.

Daze would be better than Dags as you said, but yes we take the chance with his back for sure. I would say it's worth it if the Hawks want to give him up for not too much.

If they sent scouts we'll know today (tomorrow over there?)

[Edited on 2004/3/8 by JeanLucPilon]

I believe that I read that the Hawks have an option on Daze next year for around 3.5 mill. Not a bad price, depending on his health. I haven't heard - has Daze's back been giving him trouble lately. If so, he could come cheaply (ie Plekanic and Dackell?)

Site Map »

O'Neill won't be traded

TSN.ca Staff

3/8/2004

Jeff O'Neill's shoulder injury will prevent the Carolina Hurricanes from dealing him at the deadline, TSN has learned.

O'Neill suffered a shoulder injury in the third period of the Hurricanes loss to New Jersey over the weekend. Sources say the injury is serious enough that he will be sidelined "indefinitely".

A decision on whether or not to undergo surgery or simply allow time to heal the injury will be made in the next 48 hours.

O'Neill, who has spent his entire NHL career with Hartford/Carolina, has been the subject of intense trade speculation leading up to Tuesday's deadline. He has just 14 goals and 34 points in 67 games this season, his lowest point total in four years.

We can all put the O' niel rumor to death now.:zzz: