Koivu and Kovalev together for the 1st time this year

sakiqc

With Higgins. RDS.ca front page article: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/223020.html

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Sammy Plekanec Latendresse

Johnson Bonk Ryder

? Bégin Lapierre

Perezhogin on the bubble?

We have been waitng for a long time to see our 2 best players together. Now lets see if Koivu can set up Kovalev.

yepppppp just saw that on rds.ca :)

Streit should be the one on the 4th line with lapierre and bégin since markov is going to be back in the line up... and niinimaa will be the one replacing rivet

:)

GHG!!!

Edited by bebehabs

Kovalev and Koivu always had good chemistry but I would like to note this is not the first time they are together this season...they have spent numerous occassions on the PP together...but yes this will be the first time they are actually on a even strength line this season. GO HABS GO!

Kovalev and Koivu always had good chemistry but I would like to note this is not the first time they are together this season...they have spent numerous occassions on the PP together...but yes this will be the first time they are actually on a even strength line this season. GO HABS GO!

No its not actually. During the Vancouver game Kovalev played left wing with Koivu and Johnson. Needless to say that line sucked.

I'm not holding my breath with all these combinations. But individually, I'm keen on seeing how sammy responds to a return to the lineup.

GO HABS GO!

I can't believe Perez will be in the stands instead of Niinimaa. I know Carbo likes to use 7 d's but WHY??? Let Streit do his job on d and Perez on the 4rth. With Niinimaa out of the lineup, Habs won't be on PK so often !

I can't believe Perez will be in the stands instead of Niinimaa. I know Carbo likes to use 7 d's but WHY??? Let Streit do his job on d and Perez on the 4rth. With Niinimaa out of the lineup, Habs won't be on PK so often !

Ninimaa has been playing well lately, and with Markov day to day, it's the right decision.

Higgins is the perfect player for Kovalev. Goes to the net and gets ugly goals and is pretty good at finishing plays off. Koivu also thinks the game better then Plekanec so I'm sure that will help as well.

I have a feeling too that the key player here might be Higgins. Could be the one finishing the plays!

Ninimaa has been playing well lately, and with Markov day to day, it's the right decision.

If playing well means 0 shot on goal and 4 PIM at his last 2 games... then yeah he's been playing well.

I agree that Pleks' development is being hindered by stupid decisions, such as sitting him in favour of a 7th defenceman, but at this point, baby steps are better than none.

If playing well means 0 shot on goal and 4 PIM at his last 2 games... then yeah he's been playing well.

He is a stay at home D ... so the shots are irrelevant. And his PIM is more than you would want to see, but in no way is 2 mins per game extreme ... especially since he is a bit rusty. Give him some slack .... I think he could be a good aquisition on the long run.

Love that video. And as much as Kovalev has incredible, eye-popping skills, it should be noted that some years ago, Koivu was voted by his peers (the NHL players) as the best stickhandler in traffic in the East. I wish he'd do a little more of that these days, actually, because that was one way he made a pile of space for himself. Perhaps even more interesting is that Higgins is incredibly adept with the puck in tight situations as well and is no slouch stickhandling the puck.

There are two problems with this line which may become a glaring hole in the Habs tonight:

1. Is it defensively adept enough? Will anyone win those battles along the defensive side-boards such that the Habs can get out of the zone, or will the puck be maintained by the Sens?

2. The "all your eggs in one basket theory". If the Sens deploy a great checking line and neutralize these three, will that negate any attack the Habs have at all because the talent level on the other three lines is a fairly significant drop? As an opposing coach, I'm bitter-sweet about this group. It could potentially be dynamite and run rampant, but if I've got a great defensive trio, I could put a blanket over the Habs only major threat.

This is the kind of situation that, at first, will put the pressure on the big line to score, but after a few games, assuming success, will put *massive* pressure on the other lines to contribute so as to prevent the opposition from keying on just one line.

Obviously the other team will try to neutralize the Koivu line, but the second line could make some noize tonight too. And with Begin back on the 3rd line, well we will have a formidable checking line as well.

We haven't really tried the all the eggs yet, and we haven't been winning recently, so why not give it a shot?

In the end, 60 mins will tell the tale.

I'd agree with the all-the-eggs-in-one-basket concern if it involved poaching the best elements from different lines that are performing well and getting one super-line, but when you're not losing anything from the top two existing lines - they're both underperforming - then I don't think the concern should really apply.