Game Thread | Panthers vs. Habs | 02/13/07

Spider-Man NL

Lets put this in perspective.. the Habs are basically just as good / bad as the Leafs....

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.. this team is made up of about 12 third / fourth liners and a couple of 2nd liners...

There are not many on this team who would be on the first line of most decent teams in this league.

Another thing.. Lats, Pleks, and Higgins are not Thorton, Crosby and Malkin. Most of them are destined to be 2nd or 3rd line players.... they are not going to turn this team around....

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attribute a large chunk of the reason for this slump to lack of effort, cohesion, teamwork, etc.

But i think it's fair to say...

HABS ARE RIDICULOUSLY UNLUCKY as of late.

Also, why is it that the Habs encounter goalies with average to good seasons that play very good to excellent games? Do we really "bring it out" of them that much? What's going on here?

Sheesh.

The Hockey Gods must be angry at us, but what did we do?

The tables will turn, eventually, but until then... this is utterly depressing.

Cataclaw, I appreciate your optimism, but you can't really believe that this unbelievable slump is the result of bad luck?

I agree, watching them game-to-game, you would think they were cursed. But when you look at it as the big picture.....they have really just sucked. You dont lose this many games without being inept and full of team problems

And I really feel like tonight was the last straw. Yes Belfour was good. But we got shutout.....in an extremely important game.....at home.......against Florida....Would Gainey really believe this is a playoff contender? Would we really get some deadline re-inforcements? A few weeks ago, I thought..yes. I have no idea what has happended since then.

Didn't Philly whoop us last time?

Really lame. Huet finally delivers a good performance, the least the team could have done is score one goal.

Id be surprised if we score tomorrow night let alone win...

I dont know if i was even this upset last year during our slide, this is simply awful right now...

2 man advantage for almost 2 minutes and we Still dont score? Just an all around dreadful night...

Islanders win, in yet another 3 point game for those behind the habs...

was that an overtime win?

GO :hlogo: GO!

Cataclaw, I appreciate your optimism, but you can't really believe that this unbelievable slump is the result of bad luck?

What?

That's two people now who come to me with this --- excuse my frustrated response, but can't you guys read? I said in both my posts that "PART" of the reason is bad luck. It would be naive to blame luck exclusively for all this, i'm just saying there has definitely been more back luck than good luck lately and that's only making matters worse.

Please, people, read posts before replying.

/frustrated after loss, don't take it personally

Didn't Philly whoop us last time?

Philly is on an upswing...Forsberg is looking dangerous again since the break. I wouldn't want to play them right now. Then again, I can't think of A SINGLE TEAM that the Habs look like they could handle, playing the way they are right now. :puke:

And don't anyone get smartass and name an AHL team...because I suspect that game would be a lot tighter than you'd think.

Edited by sbhatt

Well i have waited for some spark but there is none.

Thank you Bob for leaving us alone dropping constently since December without any help to dump our garbages or bring some prospects.

Results, now fans are hopeless. Players with an options already think where they will play next season or in the playoff.

No excuse Corvina and i won't back down, management have left this team alone. And no excuse for the money we had the money.

So as for what i have been asking lately and still ask for take the right decision and get rid of players that won't play with you next year for what the market is giving. High prospects and hopes for the future.

well, guys, with the overtime win by the islanders, montreal is now two points out of 10th place... on top of that, both toronto & the islanders have a game in hand...

or, if you wish, two points out of a three-way tie for 8th place...

wow....

GO :hlogo: GO!

What?

That's two people now who come to me with this --- excuse my frustrated response, but can't you guys read? I said in both my posts that "PART" of the reason is bad luck. It would be naive to blame luck exclusively for all this, i'm just saying there has definitely been more back luck than good luck lately and that's only making matters worse.

Please, people, read posts before replying.

/frustrated after loss, don't take it personally

I read your post and cant see you say that bad luck is only part of the problem. I think my point (and likely that of others), is that this is irrelevant and secondary in the face of how we've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I watch all the games and can't believe how we can't buy a goal, a penalty call, or just a damn break. But looking at what we've done overall, and how we couldn't get a DAMN GOAL AT HOME AGAINST FLORIDA.....I just don't even want to blame bad luck. It has to be a problem with the team, when it gets this bad

I read your post and cant see you say that bad luck is only part of the problem. I think my point (and likely that of others), is that this is irrelevant and secondary in the face of how we've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I watch all the games and can't believe how we can't buy a goal, a penalty call, or just a damn break. But looking at what we've done overall, and how we couldn't get a DAMN GOAL AT HOME AGAINST FLORIDA.....I just don't even want to blame bad luck. It has to be a problem with the team, when it gets this bad

Thats should read " I CAN see that bad luck is only part of the problem"..

I hate to say it but this time was better off with Ribeiro instead of Niinimaa...I don't care if he was supposedly "cancer" in the locker room, that didnt seem to affect his personal skill as well as his teammates...now that hes gone his linemates are struggling HARD

Gaineys patience this year, in a way, is killing us in my opinion. He better swing some big deals before the deadline because this team needs a SHAKE UP.

I didnt read the thread so sorry if this stuff has been said but...

Jesus how many goals did higgins blow tonight??

BTW tonight really showed how important Kovalev is to the pp, gj carbo benching him, you sure showed him with this shutout loss!! All the habs could do on a 2 min 5 v 3 without Kovalev was pass between souray and markov and take shots from the point! Its so easy to score on a 5 v 3, just move it down low and slide it through the crease to the guy on the far post, EZ GOAL. Kovalev would've set that up in a 20 seconds. Without him all we have is souray at the driving range.

edit:ok just saw Kovalev was injured, but still, lets see some set plays here, dont any of these guys watch how 90% of 5 v 3 goals are scored??

Edited by Dirty Harry

With every passing day I start to believe that this is a system problem.

How many times have we played Florida and both teams set up in the neutral zone with little forecheck and wait for each other to make the first mistake?

Go look, how many goals have we scored against Florida in the last 3-4 years?

We have zero forecheck and our forwards generally do not go past the hash marks when they do go in to forecheck.

How many defensive zone turnovers do we create in a game?

The Maple Leafs are winning hockey games with an aggressive forecheck with the following players in the lineup: Bates Battaglia/John Pohl/Travis Green/Boyd Devereux/Wade Belak/C. Kilger/J. O Neil/Ben Ondrus/Matt Stajan/Alex Ponikoravsky and Nik Antropov!!

Are you telling me that we cannot compete with that lineup? It comes from the system.

I am really dissappointed with Carbo, he has shown no ability to motivate and has juggled the lines to the point where nobody knows who they will be playing with the next day.

I keep looking for a spark...but I can't fathom where it is going to come from.

With every passing day I start to believe that this is a system problem.

How many times have we played Florida and both teams set up in the neutral zone with little forecheck and wait for each other to make the first mistake?

Go look, how many goals have we scored against Florida in the last 3-4 years?

We have zero forecheck and our forwards generally do not go past the hash marks when they do go in to forecheck.

How many defensive zone turnovers do we create in a game?

The Maple Leafs are winning hockey games with an aggressive forecheck with the following players in the lineup: Bates Battaglia/John Pohl/Travis Green/Boyd Devereux/Wade Belak/C. Kilger/J. O Neil/Ben Ondrus/Matt Stajan/Alex Ponikoravsky and Nik Antropov!!

Are you telling me that we cannot compete with that lineup? It comes from the system.

I am really dissappointed with Carbo, he has shown no ability to motivate and has juggled the lines to the point where nobody knows who they will be playing with the next day.

I keep looking for a spark...but I can't fathom where it is going to come from.

i like what you said...

im just going to add im sick of montreal not having a"superstar"... its a team game but sometimes you need that "superstar" to make it all work.

im not saying we need forsberg ... its just an example ... how many games have phillie won this year when forsberg was out of the lineup? ... one player can make a difference... especially if he is a f*kin superstar!

It is funny because up until mid-december he did not touch the lines even with the glaring non-functioning of the 2nd line..since then he has been juggling them like a clown.

i like what you said...

im just going to add im sick of montreal not having a"superstar"... its a team game but sometimes you need that "superstar" to make it all work.

im not saying we need forsberg ... its just an example ... how many games have phillie won this year when forsberg was out of the lineup? ... one player can make a difference... especially if he is a f*kin superstar!

No team is gonna give us one. We don't stand a chance. The only way is to get the first or second pick overall. Come to think of it, if we keep playing like this, we may draft high enough to get an impact player.

I too suspect that the system is the problem. It's not as though we're hopelessly outclassed by every other team in the conference, talent-wise - yet we've played as if we were, five on five, all season. This suggests that either the system is wrong for these players, or that they've refused to buy into it. Either is a coaching failure. (No problem with the specialty teams systems tho).

The only players whose potential has been even close to fully realized are mostly mediocre offensive talents like Bonk, Plekanec, Souray, Mark Streit and maybe Lats (at this stage of his career). Samsonov, Ryder, Kovalev, Higgins, Bouillon, Perezhogin (mostly due to going unused) even Koivu have all performed below reasonable expectations for far too long.

People say, 'don't blame the coach, blame the players,' but at some point, when practically EVERYONE has underperformed for months, you have to wonder whether players are being properly used; or whether Carbo lost the room when, say, he arbitrarily benched dressing-rrom lynchpin Rivet.

And don't get me started on on Perezhogin. Way to develop the young guns.

(One guy I don't blame is Gainey. He has, rightly, given this team every chance to right itself, and, just as rightly, refused to give up on it prematurely, and refused to barter away the future to bolster its chances now. That's a GOOD thing).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber