Game Thread | Panthers vs. Habs | 02/13/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No team is gonna give us one. We don't stand a chance. The only way is to get the first or second pick overall. Come to think of it, if we keep playing like this, we may draft high enough to get an impact player.

It's don't think it's the system. 1 goal, 1 damn goal to get a point. 5vs3 what does koivu do, coughs it up when he didnt have to, then proceded to take a dumb penalty. Plenty of chances to score on the pp. Higgin's didnt even come close to screening belfour on those souray shots, and koivu almost seemed to dive away and look for a bunker. 5vs3 for farts sake, and they dont use the room.

I'd go easy on Higgins until next year. Probably not healthy.

Untouchable players on this team? Markov.

By the weekend we'll be on the outside looking in. Carbo is 'learning' in the least-patient North American sports market. No time or chance to learn.

The core, again, is aging and underperforming. I almost never agree with McKaskill's opinions, but he looks to have a very strong point in his editorial (which magically appears moments after another disappointing effort). They will be eased out, the kids brought up, the cap room increased. Gainey has tried - valiantly - to work with this core for a few seasons. He knows better than any of us that it will not work. He looks prepared to try a massive gamble: to possibly sacrifice a season (i.e. no playoffs) in order to rebuild the team. Of course he'll be delighted more than anyone if we are in, but...

I'd make it a high priority to resign Johnson and Markov. That's it. Everyone else is on the block - though Higgins, Plecks and Latendresse should get some slack.

On another note...who would be shocked to see Saks gone and Begin handed the 'C' next year?

HW Recap: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1340

Enjoi... hopefully more than the game.

Of course the trap is working on the habs since the habs would score a goal even if they were soccer-net sized. Get us David Beckham, bet he could score a goal easier than this bunch. Time for Gainey to step down on the bench again? It worked until the playoffs last season. I heard Mike Keenan is available and looking for a new NHL-job. At least throw a rumour into the locker-room that Iron-Mike might be coming and I bet they will work alot harder just to avoid that happening.

Things are never as good as they seem to be when things are going good, and they're seldom as bad as they seem then things are going bad.

"The only thing we can do is get back on track and try to win the next game."

-Chris Huet

Tricolore jusqu'au bout!

Things are never as good as they seem to be when things are going good, and they're seldom as bad as they seem then things are going bad.

"The only thing we can do is get back on track and try to win the next game."

-Chris Huet

Tricolore jusqu'au bout!

good thing to keep in mind... thanks...

GO :hlogo: GO!

It's amazing how when people realize how bad this team is they want to unload the whole crew. I have been saying how poor this team is since last summer and taking constant abuse about it. Everybody on here saying we were a young and powerful team that has the nucleaus to be a superpower in a couple of years....now there is only 1 or 2 untouchable players in the lineup. WOW, I'm glad none of you are in any kind of position of power regarding this club. Maybe you guys should all go back to the threads in Aug, Sep and Oct and read what you wrote about this team then, you would most likely feel pretty stupid.

The point of this rant is that this was never a Playoff team, fans seem to build up their teams by using their hearts and not their brains. This team was picked by every publication in North America to finish between 8th and 13th in the EAst. That is exactly where they will finish, because they are not a very good team, it's not that they are slumping or have fallen on hard times. THEY ARE JUST NOT VERY GOOD!

This is not a big secret to anyone except overzealous fans. They were playing Way over their heads early in the season and still just squeaking out wins, in fact there play hasen't really worsened too much they just haven't been getting the lucky breaks they used to.

The most frustrating part of this is that I'll have to listen to all the same unbalanced optimism this summer, becuase for some reason HabsWorlders seem to thing that a summer break makes Canadiens better hockey players, not to mention their worth seems to go up over the summer.

This team is not a horrible team. They just have serious deficincies in areas that were covered up by supreme goaltending and special teams in the first half.

This team could still make a jump next season but they need to acquire a first line center (sorry guys Koivu is not a 1st line center), this would fill our second line center need with Saku. We then need to resign Markov and place Streit back on D as they are the only 2 defensemen who can move the puck out of our zone. We then need to sign another puck moving defenceman because Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Cube cough the puck up way to much when under a tough forecheck.

You want to know why we struggle with the Leafs, because they forecheck hard and we cannot get it out of our zone. Then they jump on turnovers and send in the big talentless crew of forwards who cycle along the boards waiting for a mistake. We either make that mistake or we take a dumb penalty setting them up with the powerplay that they have been waiting for.

To add to that we have almost no forecheck so we have guys like Samsonov, Kovalev, Koivu, Perezhogin trying to dance along the line to gain the zone. DUMP THE PUCK IN THE CORNER and go create. Teams are stacking the blueline because they know we will try to dipsy doodle by and try to create off the rush. Take a look at our 5 on 5 results....it ain't happening.

This is the second time in a row this team sucked me in with early season success. From now on I will sit back and watch the games and take a prove to me over a season that you are a contender before I begin to get giddy. It seems the second I buy in they go into their winter swoon.

A couple of acquistions and a little bit of freedom for the kids and we will be back on track.

i know this is not the thread for this but, as i said on another thread, however much i support and respect ALL of our players, honestly, i don't see us finishing in the playoffs...

even when we were 4th overall, we were still only about 5 or 6 games away from the playoff cut-off line. now, from that very same reasoning, we're still not that very far from the 4th place again (3 points) so my reasoning is weak and i accept that...

nevertheless, i'm still one who believes that it's better to build towards a super team than to struggle along with a good to very good team... the latter will always be a source of constant sorrow (to adaptedly quote a song...) whereas the other will be more likely to do what needs to be done.

so................ with that in mind, i stronly support the idea that we should become a 'seller' and move our 'big name players' who just don't seem to work well on a consistent basis (souray, rivet, kovalev, samsonov, etc...) and keep our young hungry ones who will be more willing to adapt and work together in the same direction...

yes, it'll make us a mediocre team for the rest of this year and, likely, next year and probably the year after but we do have the tools with which to build a team of consequence like the penguins are becoming...

GO :hlogo: GO!

This team is not a horrible team. They just have serious deficincies in areas that were covered up by supreme goaltending and special teams in the first half.

This team could still make a jump next season but they need to acquire a first line center (sorry guys Koivu is not a 1st line center), this would fill our second line center need with Saku. We then need to resign Markov and place Streit back on D as they are the only 2 defensemen who can move the puck out of our zone. We then need to sign another puck moving defenceman because Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Cube cough the puck up way to much when under a tough forecheck.

You want to know why we struggle with the Leafs, because they forecheck hard and we cannot get it out of our zone. Then they jump on turnovers and send in the big talentless crew of forwards who cycle along the boards waiting for a mistake. We either make that mistake or we take a dumb penalty setting them up with the powerplay that they have been waiting for.

To add to that we have almost no forecheck so we have guys like Samsonov, Kovalev, Koivu, Perezhogin trying to dance along the line to gain the zone. DUMP THE PUCK IN THE CORNER and go create. Teams are stacking the blueline because they know we will try to dipsy doodle by and try to create off the rush. Take a look at our 5 on 5 results....it ain't happening.

This is the second time in a row this team sucked me in with early season success. From now on I will sit back and watch the games and take a prove to me over a season that you are a contender before I begin to get giddy. It seems the second I buy in they go into their winter swoon.

A couple of acquistions and a little bit of freedom for the kids and we will be back on track.

We all know we need a first line center, we all know Koivu is a second line center. NOBODY is going to give us one. We're not even close to developing one, and we can't convince free agents to come here. It's been this way for what, ten years now. I don't see this changing.

For everyone clamoring for Gainey to bring up the farm players, I don't see how that will help. Half this team are young players now. The AHL guys are not the answer.

Gainey has to make a decision. Either he feels he can make a big trade for a true top line guy to spark this team (Forsburg for example), or he is a seller and rents out the UFA for some assets. Then go into the summer and look for trades and free agents to get some talent on this team.

While they have some decent talent on the way up, there is not a superstar in the bunch, (Price excepted) and that includes Lats. These guys are the basis of a solid team, but we need to upgrade by adding some real, NHL proven goal scorers. The consistent kind.

I also believe that Kovalev would be a lot better if we could put in a center that does two things... fits with his style, and motivates him. It was pretty clear early in the season that he was not impressed with Pleks being his center.

This is not going to be easy to accomplish, but Gainey has to find a way, or perhaps, he doesn't walk on water....

For everyone clamoring for Gainey to bring up the farm players, I don't see how that will help. Half this team are young players now. The AHL guys are not the answer.

Gainey has to make a decision. Either he feels he can make a big trade for a true top line guy to spark this team (Forsburg for example), or he is a seller and rents out the UFA for some assets. Then go into the summer and look for trades and free agents to get some talent on this team.

While they have some decent talent on the way up, there is not a superstar in the bunch, (Price excepted) and that includes Lats. These guys are the basis of a solid team, but we need to upgrade by adding some real, NHL proven goal scorers. The consistent kind.

I also believe that Kovalev would be a lot better if we could put in a center that does two things... fits with his style, and motivates him. It was pretty clear early in the season that he was not impressed with Pleks being his center.

This is not going to be easy to accomplish, but Gainey has to find a way, or perhaps, he doesn't walk on water....

I dont see how it couldn't help. Kostitsyn has been hot and I thought Grabovski looked dangerous during his stint in the big league. We are struggling on offence, and we take too many penalties. How can these guys NOT be an improvement on Murray and Downey.

I don't claim to know more than Carbo or Gainey, but I NEED someone to explain to me why we continue to play these guys instead of young, offensively talented players??