The Official Saku Koivu Thread

Bushfire

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good player, at a (distant) point in his career excellent.

The cancer throws a lot of perspective out the window.

At this point a second line centre - arguably always should have been. I have to think his age; the cancer battle; the eye injury have had a huge effect on his game and energy level.

Retire his number? 0%.

Are you kidding me? Koivu isn't even CLOSE to being the kind of player who deserves to have his number retired! Look at his numbers...look at his (lack of) post-season accomplishments; he wouldn't get his jersey retired with his resume if he had played in Los Angeles, much less Montreal.

Edited by sbhatt

This is the Official Saku Koivu Joke Thread isn't it?

I hope I read right...Saku's number will never be retired in Montreal. How can you even consider him as a hockey great? Zero stanley cups...Zero third round playoff appearances, mediocre career numbers, and average playoff numbers. That would be like spitting on the history of the Montreal Canadiens if his number gets retired. I don't think there is a single Montreal players number up in the rafters of the Bell Centre who hasn't won a stanley cup. Why he was ever given Captain in the first place, I don't know. I could go through a list of things that a real captain does and he doesn't.....his lack of discipline in the 5 on 3 tonight, and "his team" coming out flat vs the Florida Panthers just to mention a few examples. They said they were starting a new season....If that reflects on the effort that is going to be put forth into the "new season", then we might as well shine the golf clubs up now. IMO: he is an embarassment to have that "C" on his chest, thinking back to all of the hockey greats that wore it before his time. Even Pierre Turgeon showed more Balls then him!!! I'll start to respect him when he starts playing like a real captain and lifts this team above the burner, until then...his name is no longer saku...It's Saku (Sucku).

Edited by justintb

I hope I read right...Saku's number will never be retired in Montreal. How can you even consider him as a hockey great? Zero stanley cups...Zero third round playoff appearances, mediocre career numbers, and average playoff numbers. That would be like spitting on the history of the Montreal Canadiens if his number gets retired. I don't think there is a single Montreal players number up in the rafters of the Bell Centre who hasn't won a stanley cup. Why he was ever given Captain in the first place, I don't know. I could go through a list of things that a real captain does and he doesn't.....his lack of discipline in the 5 on 3 tonight, and "his team" coming out flat vs the Florida Panthers just to mention a few examples. They said they were starting a new season....If that reflects on the effort that is going to be put forth into the "new season", then we might as well shine the golf clubs up now. IMO: he is an embarassment to have that "C" on his chest, thinking back to all of the hockey greats that wore it before his time. Even Pierre Turgeon showed more Balls then him!!! I'll start to respect him when he starts playing like a real captain and lifts this team above the burner, until then...his name is no longer saku...It's Saku (Sucku).

my first knee-jerk response to this post was "and blah-blah-blah-blah-blah..."

so, i'll control my knee and simply say... ok, that's your opinion and you have your 'stats' to back it up... i trust that you are able to show more maturity in talking about someone than using stuff like 'Sucku' 'embarassment', etc...

i will refrain from using such descriptives about you though i will say that your choice of wording is an embarassment to you...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Koivu is suffering the same fate as many other Habs on our team. They are being asked to play in positions that they aren't good enough to play in.

-Koivu is a second line center

-Rivet is a #5 Dman

-Boullon is a #6 Dman

-Plekanec is a #3 center

-Ryder is a #4 winger (with tons of PP time)

-Dandenault is a #5 Dman

-Souray is a #5 Dman (with tons of PP time)

I love these guys but what do we expect?

When is the last time we had a truly dominant forward or defenceman?

Get a grip man...you're clueless. They've been bad and he hasn't helped, but anyone that knows hockey knows he has been a great inspiration and leader on and off the ice....both at an NHL and international level.

He is not worthy of jersey retirement on paper, certainly. But depending on what happens in his last years....you never know. He does have some other factors going for him, and he is different than anyone else that has played for us.

I'll also add what I wrote in another thread...Stop suggesting to trade him. It's not going to happen whether you like him or not.

I disagree with Justintb...Ya, he's really a second line center but you can't hate on him because he's a #1 in Montreal because we have no true #1. Saku took a "stupid" penalty but he was really desperate for that puck and I'm sure many other players in the league would've taken a penalty when they NEEDED that puck at that point in the game. I know we are all pissed off about the team's performance but to go on a rampage and rip the captain apart after all he's been through is plain stupid.

Koivu is the man, and he is a great captain, even though he will not get his jersey lifted to the rafters.

Edited by habsfan88

koivu and montreal is a natural love affair. he's battled cancer and beat it while odds were against him. he got that great standing ovation the day of his return( I still have that game on tape and it gives me shivers whenever Ilisten to it).

however, we have to leave feelings aside. as a captain, what has he done to help lately? nothing, rien, nada. he takes stupid( and I mean stupid penalties) every freaking game. he was known for his work ethic but I have to say that it hit rock bottom since new years.

the way he acted after the "meeting" saying that the team doesn't need help ?? come on thats bull crap and everybody knows that.

Koivu had been a good captain, but there is no way his number deserves to be retired with the likes of Morenz, the Richards, Beliveau, Lafleur, Dryden, Savard, etc. Just look at this recent slump. IN the last 25 games how many points does he have? LEss that 5? He couldn't even call a players meeting to sort things out? He's most definitley not worthy. Its unfortunate the knee problems he's had, and the cancer, maybe things could have been different but there not. And he's not worthy. Infact I am at thepoint where if he'd waive his no trade clause I'd like to see his $4.75 Million moved to a team with a chance of winning the cup. He does deserve that

Koivu is one of my favourite Habs of all time, and when he was playing arguably the best hockey of his career in December, well it was simply magical to watch.

However, since then, the effort has been there as always, but the results have not. Quite frankly, he needs to be the one to bring us out of this...

Things can change fast. Assume Koivu carries this team to the cup. I'd say his jersey could go up there.

Problem is: He's from Finland. Finns never win. Just look at their national team. 7 international finals and one win.

Just look at the stanley cups. The teams with most finns lost. They lack the mentality.

Things can change fast. Assume Koivu carries this team to the cup. I'd say his jersey could go up there.

Problem is: He's from Finland. Finns never win. Just look at their national team. 7 international finals and one win.

Just look at the stanley cups. The teams with most finns lost. They lack the mentality.

They lack the mentality eh. Great. So what are you really trying to say. I see you're from Sweden. I guess that means you only have the "mentality" to make cheap furniture.

I am beginning to think he should step down as captain. This is a team that lacks consistent effort, and that is the responsibility of the players. Thus, it is the captain's responsibility to get guys playing their hardest. Sure, the team goes downhill when he's out. But they don't exactly fly when he is around. And right now, both he and the team are struggling, maybe the pressure to lead has gotten to him. Before the pressure was always on the coaching staff. But we've gone through coach after coach and the same problems continue to emerge. Now people, including myself, are starting to question the team's leadership, and there is no bigger leader than the captain.

And also remember the player's only meeting the team had recently. That is something the captain should call. It shouldn't have to come from someone so fed up with the leadership that he has to call it on his own. Maybe it would have done more good coming from the man who is supposed to be the team leader.

Wow.. what a lack of respect for Saku Koivu. I am appauled by (some) of these posts. You dont know why Koivu has been given the C? well not only has he been given the C but he is the longest serving Captain in Montreal Canadiens HISTORY.

Wow.. what a lack of respect for Saku Koivu. I am appauled by (some) of these posts. You dont know why Koivu has been given the C? well not only has he been given the C but he is the longest serving Captain in Montreal Canadiens HISTORY.

I have nothing but respect for Saku Koivu. But it has come to the point where this team has gone through coach after coach and nothing has gotten better. Koivu has been the captain through all of it. I agree that he is vastly important to the team, we all know how they do without him. But it looks to me like the pressure has gotten to him. He looks listless on the bench when he should be trying to pump up his team. His regular effort just doesn't seem to be there. Other players are picking up leadership roles of calling meetings that the captain should be doing. Let someone else take over as captain and take that burden of off his back. He wouldn't be the first key player on a team to step down as captain and find himself again.

:blink:

no

Not quite true, Beliveau is the longest at 10 years. Again, big fan of Saku but he has also captained some of the worst seasons the Habs have ever had...

You should have seen it coming - it's definitely bad timing for a thread like this. I love Saku too, but like alexstream said, he's sucking like everyone else. In fact, he might be worse. As captain and one of the offensive leaders, we expect more from him. All we've got lately is bad turnovers and worse penalties.

Actually, he hasn't been too good until the eve of his 500th point - when I started a thread to recognize him! Then it took him uncomfortably long to get to 500, and it's been downhill from there. Maybe this thread will reverse the trend...