The Official Saku Koivu Thread

Bushfire

I have a suggestion. Look at what the penguins are doing with youth. How bout if we trade Koivu and Souray and make Christopher Higgins the captain and let this team suffer next year with young players. Even though Higgins is struggling now, he has already shown skills that Koivu never had like speed and a good shot and beating a man one on one. Time to rebuild with youth. I think we should relegate players like Kovy and Sammy to a 4th line till we can buy out their contracts next year. Most teams are built on youth. With Higgins Plekanec and Latendresse even Perezhogin,Komisarek, Halak and Price we have a nucleus to start from scratch.

OK, now we are trading Koivu. WTF? Koivu is the captain and will be till he retires. Quit trying to blame individuals. Saku is not playing well, but neither are the other 20 or so on the roster. I can think of two players who played well through this whole slump. Bonk and Plekaneck. (spelling) When the Habs are doing well, you guys will all think he is a great captain again.

Why does everyone want to pick up Forsberg, who has 170 points in the last 3 seasons, and now guys are talking about trading Koivu, who has 171 points in the last 3 seasons? I guarantee you will pay more for Forsberg. I realize that Forsberg really is a better player, but who knows how he will play with the habs. Over the last 30 years, I have seen a lot of stars come to the Canadiens, and step their game way down. I don't know why this happens, but I have a few ideas as to why.

NO MORE NONSENSE ABOUT TRADING KOIVU

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be all for trading Koivu if three conditions were satisfied, which they are not.

1. No trade clause, or he waived his no trade clause.

2. We had a young centre capable of stepping into his shoes, which we do not

3. The return on the Koivu trade was a young centre capable of filling his shoes, which would require step 1 above as well as there is no young centres that any team is willing to give up

^

That's what you call a valid argument.

Anyhow, for what it's worth I think Koivu is a fantastic leader. But don't get me wrong, I've liked the guy forever but he's just not the kind of offensive player who can carry an entire team on his back. He's not a "franchise" player, he's not of the ilk of a Sakic and he's never been considered one either.

If you think he is, you're deluded. If you think he should be traded, you're even more deluded.

The team needs a shakeup, and it needs a new forward in the mix. Callup? Trade? Figure it out, Gainey.

OK, now we are trading Koivu. WTF? Koivu is the captain and will be till he retires. Quit trying to blame individuals. Saku is not playing well, but neither are the other 20 or so on the roster. I can think of two players who played well through this whole slump. Bonk and Plekaneck. (spelling) When the Habs are doing well, you guys will all think he is a great captain again.

Why does everyone want to pick up Forsberg, who has 170 points in the last 3 seasons, and now guys are talking about trading Koivu, who has 171 points in the last 3 seasons? I guarantee you will pay more for Forsberg. I realize that Forsberg really is a better player, but who knows how he will play with the habs. Over the last 30 years, I have seen a lot of stars come to the Canadiens, and step their game way down. I don't know why this happens, but I have a few ideas as to why.

I have written about Saint Koivu in other threads look athe fire sale thread.

I'd be all for trading Koivu if three conditions were satisfied, which they are not.

1. No trade clause, or he waived his no trade clause.

2. We had a young centre capable of stepping into his shoes, which we do not

3. The return on the Koivu trade was a young centre capable of filling his shoes, which would require step 1 above as well as there is no young centres that any team is willing to give up

Christopher Higgins is actually a center

I'd rather have Forsberg who has 170 points in I dont know how many games (I'm sure less then 170) rather then Koivu 170 in like 240... It means Forsberg has a much bigger impact in winning the games in which he plays in.

I have written about Saint Koivu in other threads look athe fire sale thread.

Christopher Higgins is actually a center

Ummmmm no he's not. He hasn't played centre in years. Even his last two years in Hamilton he was playing left wing.

Comparisons to the Pens are a joke. The pens youth consists of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.

Not one of our young guys (Higgins, Ryder, Pleks, Grabs, Komi, Lats, etc) are even in their class.

The Pens have the most stacked team of youth since the Oilers in the early 80s.

Trading Koivu would only be useful if the guy coming back was a true number 1 center. I would rather trade others to get that center and put Koivu on the 2nd line. Then we would have a solid center.

I am also convinced that if we put Kovalev on a line with either Koivu or the other top center we acquire, he will start producing, at least if we leave him there long enough to gel.

Ummmmm no he's not. He hasn't played centre in years. Even his last two years in Hamilton he was playing left wing.

I remember he played center for the USA juniors in the world tournament and he played center for Yale

Comparisons to the Pens are a joke. The pens youth consists of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.

Not one of our young guys (Higgins, Ryder, Pleks, Grabs, Komi, Lats, etc) are even in their class.

The Pens have the most stacked team of youth since the Oilers in the early 80s.

Trading Koivu would only be useful if the guy coming back was a true number 1 center. I would rather trade others to get that center and put Koivu on the 2nd line. Then we would have a solid center.

I am also convinced that if we put Kovalev on a line with either Koivu or the other top center we acquire, he will start producing, at least if we leave him there long enough to gel.

Your analysis is weird. I never compared the youth of Montreal with the Pens. I just said we should build with youth and we do have a strong nucleus. Obviously none of the youth in our system were a first pick overall or in the top 5. Cannot underestimate young legs though. No one will give you a number one center for Saint Koivu cause he is past his prime and his record proves he has never been there in the clutch.

Edited by Strummerman

I remember he played center for the USA juniors in the world tournament and he played center for Yale

Your analysis is weird. I never compared the youth of Montreal with the Pens. I just said we should build with youth and we do have a strong nucleus. Obviously none of the youth in our system were a first pick overall or in the top 5. Cannot underestimate young legs though. No one will give you a number one center for Saint Koivu cause he is past his prime and his record proves he has never been there in the clutch.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Go back to HFBoards with all the other know-it-alls.

Your analysis is weird.

He hasn't played center for at least 5 years now, I'm sure there's a reason for that. Don't you think if they wanted him to try center that they'd have tried him there before Kovalev?

He hasn't played center for at least 5 years now, I'm sure there's a reason for that. Don't you think if they wanted him to try center that they'd have tried him there before Kovalev?

At the time the first line was working well it was the second line that was sucking. Anyways if he played at yale which is the equivalent of junior hockey at center I see no great problem in playing there. He obviously has the speed to play center,

Koivu is one of the best playoff performers in the game.

I'd rather have him leading my team to the cup then a guy like Joe Thronton.

Id rather have him lead me to the third round which he has never done- Id trade Thornton for Koivu faster then the speed of light go ask Boston fans and management after the fact

Agreed. :clap:

wrong wrong wrong :angry:

Edited by Strummerman

Id rather have him lead me to the third round which he has never done- Id trade Thornton for Koivu faster then the speed of light go ask Boston fans and management after the fact

wrong wrong wrong :angry:

Look ABI4LIFE is never wrong so get your facts straight pal. Thornton <<<< Koivu in the playoffs and thats ALL I got to say about taht!

uh huh tell me when Saint Koivu Mr clutch has won anything either individually or as a team

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The blind devotion people have to this underperforming 2nd line caliber center blows me away sometimes.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The blind devotion people have to this underperforming 2nd line caliber center blows me away sometimes.

He isn't a superstar, but give me a break. He has raised his game in the playoffs fairly consistently. Expecting him to have led the ragbag bunch of odds and ends he's been surrounded with through his entire tenure with the Habs to a Cup is ridiculous. Koivu is an excellent little player who has trouble playing the #1 C role over the grind of an entire 82-game season. End of story.

Like I have said, he's a good second line center...glad to see that some of you can identify that. But others here seem to think he's capable of being a number-one...and producing big numbers over the grind of a whole NHL season in that role. He's not, and never has been nor will he ever be a superstar.

the point is our youth are not top line prospects. We can't just build around them. We need to either trade or UFA a few top players.

The Pens have top players in their youth. They just pick up role players to go with them.

for this team to turn it around, they need to make some fairly big trades or signings. Some of our youth will probably have to go as part of those trades.

Frankly, I am still disappointed that we didn't grab luongo.