Playoff lineup without any major trades...

Habby1197

Possible playoff lineup... I'd love to get a Barnaby type tomorrow though.

Bulis-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribs-Ryder

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Juneau-Perreault-Barnaby

Souray-Quintal

Markov-Rivet

Boullion-Brisebois

Theo

Garon

I think Sundstrom or Dackell will be moved... and the one that stays will take Juneau's spot if he has a bad back at any time. Langdon can also step in when needed... Those are 4 good lines we could role with in the playoffs... GO HABS GO

The problem I see with the lineup (and the players we have in our bottom two lines in general) is that we just don't have the grit needed to go somewhere in the playoffs.

Begin-Dowd-Ward could do some gritty crash-and-bang plays, but that's just not enough.

I'd go with this.

20 Zednik -- 11 Koivu -- 27 Kovalev

38 Bulis -- 71 Ribeiro -- 73 Ryder

22 Begin -- 34 Dowd -- 37 Sunny

15 Langdon -- 25 Kilger -- 17 Ward

79 Markov -- 52 Rivet

44 Souray -- 43 Brisebois

51 Bouillon -- 05 Quintal

... I'd like to see Komi and Hainsey playing, but not now. We can't afford the rookie mistakes in the playoffs, I want to win as often as we can. The thing that scares me is the botttom pairing on defence. I think Gainey needs to shore that up.

Another gritty winger would be very good too. If not, than give Kilger the shot at regaining his chemisty with Ward. The Chad was very good for us in 2001-2002 against Boston.

Some guys to look at over the next 20 hours :

Jay McKee

Vitali Vishnevski

Matthew Barnaby

Jamal Mayers

[Edited on 2004/3/8 by jl.roberts]

I'd like to see this in the bottom two lines:

Sundstrom - Dowd - Dackell

Kilger - Begin - Ward

Two solid defensive lines, and a bit of grit on each one. Dackell will be usefull in the corners, and Dowd is great at cycling the puck.

I'd like to see the Habs pick up Barnaby and Hill tomorrow...

Say we do get them and not taking any players off our rosters (cause those types of trades would involve prospects, AHLers and picks)

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Ryder - Ribeiro - Dagenais

Bulis - Dowd - Barnaby

Sundstrom - Begin - Ward

X-Langdon

Souray - Hill

Markov - Rivet

Briesbois - Quintal

X-Komisarek

Theodore

Garon

Say what you want, call me a homer, but that team has the potential to win the conference. If Carolina, Anaheim, Washington and Buffalo can with the teams they had, their is no reason in hell why the Habs cant. If Theo catches fire again, they could play giant killers and be this years darkhorse.

Souray - Hill  

Markov - Rivet  

Briesbois - Quintal  

X-Komisarek  

Either your anti-Bouillon, or you simply forgot about him.

The Hill rumours seemed to have died down recently i think, i don't really see it happening. Barnaby is a player I despise, but I'm sure i'd learn to like him in a Habs uniform.

Well the deadline has come and gone and now we're almost clear on what we'll look like in the playoffs.

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Sunny-Juneau-Dackell

Souray-Quintal

Markov-Rivet

Boullion-Briser

Theo

Garon

Right now Langdon, Perreault, and Dags don't have spots... But... Sunny might not be alright and that could change everything...

We have a pretty good team... let's get excited, playoffs are a month away.

[Edited on 2004/3/9 by Habby1197]

I don't like the fourth line. I wish it had more energy or spunk, it lacks the playoff spirit.

Neither do I for the regular season... But playoffs is a different story... A 4th line in the playoffs doesnt get more than 5 mins a game...

First line 20

Second line 20

3rd line 15

4th... around 5 or so.

Originally posted by Habby1197

I don't like the fourth line. I wish it had more energy or spunk, it lacks the playoff spirit.

Neither do I for the regular season... But playoffs is a different story... A 4th line in the playoffs doesnt get more than 5 mins a game...

First line 20

Second line 20

3rd line 15

4th... around 5 or so.

No, they won't play much, I agree. But they can still have an impact on the game. One big shift can really help out. I don't know how many big shifts Joe Juneau can give us in the crunch.

IMO the lineup will be:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

That 3rd line has gelled very quickly, and have been perhaps our best line the last 2 games... it's a line that gives you solid play, unexpected offense, but more importantly grit.

The 4th line is a line that has played a lot together, chemistry and working well together is very important in the playoffs.

It gives you a 2nd defensive line, a line that can play more than 5-7 minutes.

Dagenais is still the one big worry in that lineup... if CJ gets frustrated with him he could turn to Perreault for offensive punch, or more likely either insert Sundstrom or move up Bulis and have Sundstrom join the Juneau line.

CJ has options, he'll be able to adjust from game to game... and I expect he will be making changes as we go.

To me Langdon simply isn't someone who is worth much since he'd never be on the ice. I rather have players who will be playing and keep my guys fresh.

IMO the lineup will be:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

You got Dags and Ryder mixed up, hehe RW and LW... anyways I just can't see Bulis playing 4th line and 5-7 mins per game... he's way more valuble than that. He's got great open ice speed and excels in his own zone, he's far too good to play 4th line. As for Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev... We saw it for a period and it wasn't pretty... Reason being, Zed needs to control the puck on his line, just the type on player he is... Ryder isn't that way he doesn't hang on to the puck for long at all... he usually just releases quickly. Thats why I'd go with a Zednik-Koivu-Ryder line... and a Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev line... I think Bulis would be very usefull on that line and Ribs would have some crazy speed on his wings... looks good to me. Anyways, you can't think Perreault will be benched every playoff game.. anways, CJ's got some work to do as to the lineup.

Our best lineup would be....

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Juneau-Perreault-Dagenais

Dackell, Sunny, Langdon could also take a spot depending on who we play...

I mean, I just listed our top 12 forwards... but I'm sure Dacks and Sunny will see some time.

[Edited on 2004/3/9 by Habby1197]

With the way Perrault has been playing, he'll certainly stay on the top two lines. He's also not much use on a checking line. With that in mind, I think you'll see:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perrault-Ribs-RIder

Bulis-Dowd-Ward

Juneau-Begin-Sunny

Dagenais and Dackell sit and Bulis plays on a defensive energetic checking line which is just as good as the 4th line