Game Thread | Montreal vs. Blue Jackets | 02/18/07

Spider-Man NL

We Win!!!! :clap:

Good game from habs and great game from Halak. I hope he is back between the pipes on Tuesday against the Capitals. 3rd period was nothing great but imagine the pressure the team felt after the first goal went in and the 2nd one! Its OK we forgive you, just bring us a victory on Tuesday..... :hlogo:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing how a team can take a totally positive experience and almost kill it in a span of 10 minutes.

They played a very good game through 50 minutes, not great, but solid. Halak made the saves he needed to and we were crusing. Then Lats with a lazy backcheck and Johnson with a BRUTAL turnover and it is 3-2 and they are hanging on for dear life.

The thing that gave me the most hope in the game was Halak's puckhandling. If he can take the puck out of the Keystone Cops behind the net and set them up in better position to clear the zone he might offer more than just big saves. Because unless Markov has the puck I almost expect a turnover.

Halak was not spectacular, but he made the saves when we needed them.

Definitely something to build on!

They are 14th in the west, have 51 points, and played like crap for 2 periods.

My point is that this slump is not over until they can put some wins together. A single win does not make all right with the world.

I am not being negative, I am being realistic. I hope they have turned the corner, but I am not going to declare them playoff bound based on this win. :)

Colombus actually has an above .500 record at home and has just come off a 3-0 win over San Jose, which would have them carrying a ton of momentum probably.

But I do agree that our TRUEST test is yet to come.

What I like bout the kid is that he is calm, it takes it relax, which is a good thing, Abiesher reminds me of my dog, hes too nervous he jumps on the ice rolls doesnt really know what he is doing cause their is too much people infront of the net, I would keep Halak in nets for a next game, I dont think he was really tested, he didnt do any spectacular saves, and he knows how the NHL is now that he played a first game and its always nice to finish playing your first game and being asked to play a second....

Forgot to add, I hated what Koivu did today, I hadnt see him talk for a while now during his non scoring game he was silent and everything but he socred today so he thinks he can do whatever he wants and decides to get interviewed but it wouldnt of happen if he wouldnt of scored, look hes got only 16 or 17 goals, ders nothing to be proud about...

Edited by Nesquik

Colombus actually has an above .500 record at home and has just come off a 3-0 win over San Jose, which would have them carrying a ton of momentum probably.

But I do agree that our TRUEST test is yet to come.

LOL, the habs have a winning record at home and are now .500 on the road.. and we suck. :)

I am not being negative, I am being realistic. I hope they have turned the corner, but I am not going to declare them playoff bound based on this win. :)

Well, of couse they're not playoff-bound yet. But whether we beat Coumbus or beat Buffalo doesn't change our fate, or how good a team we are. Neither does the score.

I thought Halak had poor rebound control but maybe it was just nerves.

Well, of couse they're not playoff-bound yet. But whether we beat Coumbus or beat Buffalo doesn't change our fate, or how good a team we are. Neither does the score.

I thought Halak had poor rebound control but maybe it was just nerves.

Halak's rebound control was definitly better then Aebischer's...especially against the Canes... :puke:

HALLELUJAH! :clap:

I felt good with Halak in nets, and would expect to see him next game.We need to beat every low end team like this , the rest of the year. Still think we need another goal scorer. Ie. we will need to be buyers to make the playoffs. We'll see what Bob has in the cards

By the way, I just thought i'd comment on Koivu's and Ryder's play tonight. Much improved!

Koivu made a gorgeous pass to the tape of Ryder's stick who then shelfed it, and who could forget Ryder's toe-drag and then pass over to Koivu for the goal on the 2 on 1...absolutely embarassed that d-man.

Hopefully they gain confidence from this.

Halak's rebound control was definitly better then Aebischer's...especially against the Canes... :puke:

Thats not saying much. :)

I thought he did pretty good, although he was a bit deep in his net on the two goals. It is not an easy adjustment coming to the nhl, especially with that kind of defense in front of you.

We will have to see how he does over a few games to get a true sense.

What I like bout the kid is that he is calm, it takes it relax, which is a good thing, Abiesher reminds me of my dog, hes too nervous he jumps on the ice rolls doesnt really know what he is doing cause their is too much people infront of the net, I would keep Halak in nets for a next game, I dont think he was really tested, he didnt do any spectacular saves, and he knows how the NHL is now that he played a first game and its always nice to finish playing your first game and being asked to play a second....

Forgot to add, I hated what Koivu did today, I hadnt see him talk for a while now during his non scoring game he was silent and everything but he socred today so he thinks he can do whatever he wants and decides to get interviewed but it wouldnt of happen if he wouldnt of scored, look hes got only 16 or 17 goals, ders nothing to be proud about...

Oh c'mon, what's that comment about Koivu for. He hasn't refused to talk to the media.

Well it was 2 points and wouldn't say the Habs looked good but they snapped the streak. They did play great in the second. Moving the puck, hitting, quick transitions and shooting the puck. Then they remembered who they were and fell apart in the third. The first they didn't even show up or skate. I can't be too critical but they did beat the only team that scored less then they do.

Good points:

Halak looked good, moved the puck better then the D, looked calm and confident. He got hung out to dry a bit on the 2 goals.

4th line looked good again. I like Perez and lapierre together. They do need another grinder on that line.

Koivu and Ryder showed up tonight, higgins looked good as well. Maybe the month vacation is over.

Bad:

Only showed up for 40 minutes tonight.

The D zone was pretty bad in the first and especially the third. I don't think it's confidence, they just don't skate well, turn the puck over ALOT and have really bad habits. I like Mueller but i said it at the beginning of the year but they really should have hired a defensive coach.

So lets see what this will turn into.

I am still wanting a fire burning sale, Especially Souray will get some good youth back.

I thought he did pretty good, although he was a bit deep in his net on the two goals. It is not an easy adjustment coming to the nhl, especially with that kind of defense in front of you.

We will have to see how he does over a few games to get a true sense.

Halak does tend to play deep and rely on his reflexes, dont know if Melanson will work with him on that but so far so good.

Am I the only one who though Halak's rebound control was excellent pucks were off his pads and into the corners almost every time and a few times he even got te puck over the glass ala Brodeur.

He had an excellent game the first goal was a great shot.

Ryder was incredible tonight I wish he was always that great at puck control. I might go as far as to say it was his best NHL game. Furthermore he was hittting last night he finished 90% of his hit I was very impressed

Ryder was incredible tonight I wish he was always that great at puck control. I might go as far as to say it was his best NHL game. Furthermore he was hittting last night he finished 90% of his hit I was very impressed

if he'd play like that more often, he'd have 30 goals already.

he really impressed me on that koivu goal.

I guess samsonov is back on the 2nd line !!

Having watched most every Columbus game this season, the Habs as often as I can, and seeing this game in person, here are some thoughts:

- Between the two teams, you might get 60 minutes of effort a game.

- As much as Habs fans think the refs are against them, the Jackets have much worse luck than the Habs. Columbus got away with 2 blantant penalties, while Montreal got away with 4. Columbus once even lost a game on a goal that was ruled originally to be not a goal, but was overturned despite the fact the puck was never seen across the line on the video.

- Koivu still didn't look confident out there, had a number of lapses. Hopefully the goal and assist will boost that confidence.

- If Ryder plays like that every game, he'd be earning his salary.

- Defensive zone lapses are very obvious on the Habs. Both goals resulted from letting a good shooter skate wide open into the slot, while the defencemen stood in front of Halak, screening him.

- There was at least one Habs fan for every Jackets fan at the game, pretty impressive. Including one guy in his 50s or 60s who saw my jersey and started a "GO HABS GO" chant while doing one of the silliest dances I've ever seen. :lol:

- Columbus games are not as fun as they were before the lockout, when fans voted Nationwide Arena to be the #1 In-Stadium Experience. Most of the fun stuff they did during commercials has been replaced with crummy advertising and the intermission games are lame.

Am I the only one who though Halak's rebound control was excellent?

It was pretty good, but there was one that should have led to a goal, but thankfully Vyborny missed the broad side of the barn.