The Lions of Winter

Athlétique.Canadien

Things have gone terribly terribly wrong for us through January up until now. After an excellent start riding special teams and defensively isolating the defensive slot, we seem to have lost that edge.

I put the turning point (and I hate to say it) in our sinking to our last loss to the Leafs. It's true things went badly for the team before then. But, after that it really did get much worse. The ironic thing is and I think it was mentioned in a Habsworld article is that we have become better in our own zone, despite the losing during this bad stretch.

The Habs just couldn't score. Line 1 was was abducted by a UFO and lived in another area code. Nothing came together. The scoring came from line 2 or 3. Sometimes it was line 4. The problem with this is that when you only have support scorers contributing you do not win games in this league.

We also went through the Carbonneau and Samsonov fiasco. Carbonneau also benched Rivet (I'm not sure where the coaches were going with these ideas :blink: ) And, just like so many times year after year it's a pain through January and February for us Habs fans.

Now, all of what I typed is now in the past. B)

Higgins will be OK. Ryder is reborn. I've never seen him play better ever-EVER!. Koivu has awakened. Plekanec is reliable. Samsonov is creating major confusion amongst the other teams defensive corps. Latendresse, Perezhogin, Bonk, Johnson, Murray, Lapierre, Milroy and Downey. It's a fine cast. The D is reliable and I have faith the staff can work out the kinks.

And, just like so many times year after year it's a joy when we get hot down the stretch. People can say that the euphoria and thrill of what the Canadiens accomplished in the first half was eroded with complete disillusionment with this sad sad slump. But, what if we are a team that is in the middle? What if the coaches can figure this out? Is that impossible?

We can't win the cup? It's impossible?

It's never impossible. Especially for the CH. This team has a magic!

Example: Carolina won the cup last year with all of their weapons. But what about the Williams hitting Koivu incident, New Jersey's failed clearing attempt in game 2 resulting in a Carolina goal for the win with 3 seconds left, Buffalo being decimated on defence and then Chad LaRose takes out Roloson? The Canes had skill indeed. They also had luck!

That can't happen for the Habs? Why not?

Samsonov and Kovalev are playoff veterans. I predict that if we make the playoffs, Samsonov is going to make us forget about the money. We all know what Kovy can do. Huet could return. Now more than ever we should believe in the Canadiens. If what I believe is happening is coming to pass we should win the next 4 games straight. The 5th is questionable. We might just have emerged from the cold days of this winter slumber to be...

...THE LIONS OF WINTER

GO HABS GO! :hlogo:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude,

You truly are a brotha from a different motha!

Your perspective rocks and I say, why not sow these seeds of inspiration out to so many of those fans that simply forget about the MAGIC.

This is no ordinary team, these are our Canadiens!

Well said sir, now here's hoping that the Universe is listening!

Peace, Love and Go HABS Go!

Woh there tiger ... don't want to get too euphoric of only two little wins .... because if we lose the next one you may come crashing down, and hard. The losing streak is over ... not certain whether the losing sequence is. Lets give them a few more games, and a few more challenges that BlueJackets and the Capitals. Nashville will be a good test, as will the Maple Leafs coming up soon.

Edited by Bacchus

I stand by my predictions

Interesting name for a thread. Lions of Winter could be a term used for the most of us on this site who pounced and just about mamed the entire Habs squad in there recent losing skid. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Its nice to read your positive post. Thank you Athletique!

As for Bacchus comments on the fact there are tests to come... blah blah blah blah. This team has already proven that its a winner all year long. Despite the skid in January and half the team missing because of injury this team is finding a way to win again. They remain well in a position to make the playoffs.

By 'Lions In Winter' do you mean...

roar roar we made the playoffs

or

ROAR ROAR! We won the Cup!

If number two, well, in the words of the legendary Andre Nickatina:

roll that sh*t, light that sh*t, smoke it.

Though enthusiasm and optimism are good things, of course.

As for Bacchus comments on the fact there are tests to come... blah blah blah blah. This team has already proven that its a winner all year long. Despite the skid in January and half the team missing because of injury this team is finding a way to win again. They remain well in a position to make the playoffs.

So what are you saying? That they will now go on a tear reminiscent of the first part of the season? That they will be winning around 68% of the remaining games? You are so certain? I am not. But hey, if you can foretell the future go buy some 6/49s and make lots of dough. But if you can't you have to acknowledge that your guess is as good as mine. And if you are getting hot and bothered by the fact that we won two (2) games in a row, then you are probably the kind of guy who falls in love with a girl who happens to look at him one night while she is scanning the room looking for an exit, and then hooks up with the palm sisters later, thinking to yourself, "I could have had her if I really wanted".

I'm saying, woh, we haven't scalled the mountain yet ... you are saying, its in the bag. Their are many expressions that say that my position is wiser, such as "don't count your chickens before they hatch", or "two in the bush is worth one in the basket", or "you never count your money when your sitting at the table" etc.

So what are you saying? That they will now go on a tear reminiscent of the first part of the season? That they will be winning around 68% of the remaining games? You are so certain? I am not. But hey, if you can foretell the future go buy some 6/49s and make lots of dough. But if you can't you have to acknowledge that your guess is as good as mine. And if you are getting hot and bothered by the fact that we won two (2) games in a row, then you are probably the kind of guy who falls in love with a girl who happens to look at him one night while she is scanning the room looking for an exit, and then hooks up with the palm sisters later, thinking to yourself, "I could have had her if I really wanted".

I'm saying, woh, we haven't scalled the mountain yet ... you are saying, its in the bag. Their are many expressions that say that my position is wiser, such as "don't count your chickens before they hatch", or "two in the bush is worth one in the basket", or "you never count your money when your sitting at the table" etc.

There's alot that I want to say in regards to your post. I'll keep most of my thoughts to myself. I guess maybe I deserve a little bit of a rub after the comment I made in response to your initial post. What I will say is that I'm tired of reading your crap... doesn't surprise me that you've made those comments. Congratulations Bacchus you've just shown yourself to be one of those LIONS of WINTER I was talking about. You can have the last word... I won't be reading.

There's alot that I want to say in regards to your post. I'll keep most of my thoughts to myself. I guess maybe I deserve a little bit of a rub after the comment I made in response to your initial post. What I will say is that I'm tired of reading your crap... doesn't surprise me that you've made those comments. Congratulations Bacchus you've just shown yourself to be one of those LIONS of WINTER I was talking about. You can have the last word... I won't be reading.

I give what I get ... you are rude, I will be rude in kind. I have no problems with people disagreeing with me, but I have problems with people being flippant or disrespectful towards me or others.

Furthermore, if you had been reading my posts all along you would see that I was not in favour of tearing up the team. I think getting good value for Souray as a rental is a smart business decision. I also think we have a few players who have been a bit lackluster, and in my opinion it is because they don't want to be on the team. I also believe that we are nearing and end to a re-building period ... so our time most probably isn't now. So, your assesment of me, or my opinions concerning the direction of the team is wrong.

If you think it is better to stay the course, fine. I have no problems with that. You may, in fact, be right. And I would not disrespect your opinion on that unless you said something infantile like "blah, blah, blah". But you have somewhat acknowledged that you shouldn't have said that, and so I will somewhat acknowledge that it takes a big person to say that they were wrong.

No harm, no foul! :hockey:

Come on guys...lol

This board has been full of fans wanting to blow this thing up for 2 weeks, everybody claiming the season would need a miracle to get to the playoffs, let alone win the cup.

Now we are talking about the Stanley Cup after 2 wins over 2 non playoff teams?

We are not Leaf fans!! If they go in and bitchslap Nashville tomorrow night or Halak stands on his head and steals a game, then we can begin to get excited. Halak has made some good saves, and I love his puck handling abilitly but he has not really been tested under a barrage. That will come on Thursday.

We have a massive road trip coming up and we do not know the status of Higgins.

Let's breath and reassess after Thursday night. 1 game at a time boys...1 game at a time. :clap:

Woh there tiger ... don't want to get too euphoric of only two little wins .... because if we lose the next one you may come crashing down, and hard. The losing streak is over ... not certain whether the losing sequence is. Lets give them a few more games, and a few more challenges that BlueJackets and the Capitals. Nashville will be a good test, as will the Maple Leafs coming up soon.

Nice to see another fan that isn't stricken with Maple leaf syndrome. Seriously we beat two bottom feeders (barely) and all of a sudden we are marching to the cup? Talk about Bipolar. :rolleyes:

I didn't say "we will win" the cup. What I said was that's it's possible just as much as it's possible for any of the 16 qualifiers to win.

Wamsley01, it wasn't too long ago you were on the positive side and telling me to have faith. It's true Nashville is the test and maybe this thread will die.

It's in their nature to go on a 4,5 or 6 game streak after having a 6 game stinker.

The Lions of Winter is old Habs lore. Also known as The Lions in Winter. Anyone else who's aware of the lore in here, little help?

Yes that's correct - there is a book on the team that has that same title(Lions in Winter) written by Chrys Goyens and Allan Turowetz.

Actually it is probably one of the better books on the team, if not the best one that has been written?

Edited by beliveau1

I believe the point is not that you should have faith, but rather, that you shouldn't be delusional. I hope they go on a 5+ game winning streak, but I always do. Also, who knows if they worked out whatever problems they have been having; I doubt that it was just that they felt bad and needed something to lift their spirits (this isn't Zoolander, and no mocha frocha pochaccino is gonna fix it). Maybe it was just that they needed to start thinking team instead of Kovalev ... I don't know. But, we ought to let them get some momentum before dubbing them the lions of winter. For the last month they have been pussy cats.

But hey, that's just my advice .... do what you will ... but when you post, people will reply.

I didn't say "we will win" the cup. What I said was that's it's possible just as much as it's possible for any of the 16 qualifiers to win.

Wamsley01, it wasn't too long ago you were on the positive side and telling me to have faith. It's true Nashville is the test and maybe this thread will die.

It's in their nature to go on a 4,5 or 6 game streak after having a 6 game stinker.

Oh I believe you have to have faith. No doubt. And I have faith the season is not over.

And I will take it one game at a time. I am just busting yours and the boards balls because

a post like this would have been ripped apart a mere 4 days ago.

I might start getting these delusions the second Halak steals a game that I feel we have no business

winning. Before the last 2 games I only saw him stand on his head in the AHL All-Star game.

I am glad you have faith, it is just the nature of this board to go to such extremes is all.

I believe the point is not that you should have faith, but rather, that you shouldn't be delusional. I hope they go on a 5+ game winning streak, but I always do. Also, who knows if they worked out whatever problems they have been having; I doubt that it was just that they felt bad and needed something to lift their spirits (this isn't Zoolander, and no mocha frocha pochaccino is gonna fix it). Maybe it was just that they needed to start thinking team instead of Kovalev ... I don't know. But, we ought to let them get some momentum before dubbing them the lions of winter. For the last month they have been pussy cats.

But hey, that's just my advice .... do what you will ... but when you post, people will reply.

What about an inpromptu gasoline fight? :D

What about an inpromptu gasoline fight? :D

:clap: I hope it doesn't come to that. I hope ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN is 100% right and that the Habs will take the rest of the season by storm .... more news at 7:00!

Come on guys...lol

This board has been full of fans wanting to blow this thing up for 2 weeks, everybody claiming the season would need a miracle to get to the playoffs, let alone win the cup.

Now we are talking about the Stanley Cup after 2 wins over 2 non playoff teams?

We are not Leaf fans!! If they go in and ****slap Nashville tomorrow night or Halak stands on his head and steals a game, then we can begin to get excited. Halak has made some good saves, and I love his puck handling abilitly but he has not really been tested under a barrage. That will come on Thursday.

We have a massive road trip coming up and we do not know the status of Higgins.

Let's breath and reassess after Thursday night. 1 game at a time boys...1 game at a time. :clap:

thank you. exactly

Then maybe it's time to switch your avatar and sig? :P

I wish I could because it is contradictory isn't it? But, the situation is still pressing regardless of what I hope for.

I'm not at all worried about Nashville and I have faith in Halak. My worry and the key to the game is the goal production must continue.

Any word on Higgins? :?-