Stretch Run

Wamsley01

Seeing as I was frustrated with the loss today I wanted to take a look at the teams that are battling for the 6-8 seed. Don't jump off just yet.

I looked at the schedule and identified close to guaranteed Playoff teams/Teams that are fighting each other/Teams that are going to be on the course in a month. Below I have listed from Easiest schedule to the Hardest schedule.

NY ISLANDERS (10 HOME/10 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .529

Playoff Teams - 7 (Buffalo/Ottawa 2/New Jersey 2/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay)

Fighting with - 6 (Montreal//NYR 4/Toronto)

Golfing - 7 (Washington 2/Philadelphia 3/Florida/St. Louis)

The Isles have been rolling and they have one of the easiest schedules left. With Ted Nolan behind the bench I do not expect a collapse, they definitely have an inside edge on one of the final 3 spots.

ATLANTA THRASHERS (11 HOME/7 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .534

Playoff Teams - 5 (Buffalo /Ottawa /San Jose/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay)

Fighting with - 7 (Montreal/Carolina 2 /NYI/Boston 2/NYR)

Golfing - 6 (Washington 2/Florida 3/Philadelphia)

Atlanta maybe struggling right now but they have a fairly easy schedule to finish out the year. The majority of their games at home and 1/3 playing the bottom of the league.

NY RANGERS (11 HOME/9 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .540

Playoff Teams - 5 (Ottawa/Pittsburgh 4)

Fighting with - 12 (Montreal 3/Carolina/NYI 4/Atlanta/Boston 2/Toronto)

Golfing - 3 (St. Louis/Philadelphia 2)

The Blueshirts are collapsing again like last year. They do have hope as they control their own destiny and they have an easy schedule down the stretch. I still do not like their chances.

CAROLINA HURRICANES (9 HOME/9 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .548

Playoff Teams - 8 (Ottawa 2/Pittsburgh/New Jersery 2/Tampa Bay 2/San Jose)

Fighting with - 4 (Atlanta 2/NYR/Toronto)

Golfing - 6 (Washington 2/Forida 3/Philadelphia)

The defending Cup Champion has struggled all year and they have 6 layup games left on their schedule. Probable squeak in to defend.

MONTREAL CANADIENS (8 HOME/10 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .561

Playoff Teams - 4 (Buffalo 2/Ottawa/Pittsburgh)

Fighting with - 12 (Toronto 3/Boston 4/NYR 3/NYI 1/ATL 1)

Golfing - 2 (Washington/St. Louis)

The good news is the Habs can write their own destiny. They have 14 games with teams that are even or below them in the standings. They probably need to win 12 of those to make the playoffs. It is still possible, but it is going to be tough.

BOSTON BRUINS (11 HOME/10 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .562

Playoff Teams - 9 (Buffalo/Pittsburgh 2/Ottawa 2/New Jersey 2/Minnesota/Detroit)

Fighting with - 8 (Montreal 4/Atlanta 2/NYR 2)

Golfing - 3 (Washington /Philadelphia/Colorado)

The Bruins have been playing better lately but got hammered tonight and have been up and down all season. If the Habs can take 3 of 4 from the Bruins it will go along way to making the dance. Boston is a longshot at best

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (11 HOME/9 ROAD)

Overall Winning Percentage of teams left on their schedule - .585

Playoff Teams - 10 (Buffalo 4/Ottawa 2/New Jersey 2/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay)

Fighting with - 7 (Montreal 3/Carolina/NYI/Atlanta/NYR)

Golfing - 3 (Washington 2/Philadelphia)

The Leafs have the toughest schedule left out of the remaining teams. They do have 11 left at home, but they really need to earn their playoff appearance. If they do make it, they will be going in as one of the hottest teams in hockey. Which means that Sportsnet will run a Half hour HockeyCentral about how the Leafs will be this year's Edmonton!! LOL

So there you have it. Montreal has a tough road ahead of them and needs to really eat up the Bruins and Rangers to get into the playoffs. The Leafs have the toughest stretch drive so they are really going to have to amp it up down the stretch. It is still possible, but the margin for error is very slim. If I look for a team to collapse and see us sneak in it would be Atlanta

Edited by Wamsley01

Wow great job man.

Well it looks like the Habs have one of the toughest schedule. The good thing, though, is that they are playing lot of games againts teams we're fighting with. So Habs destiny is in their hands.

Promises to be an exciting end of season!

Wow, great job! :clap:

Personaly I would have added TB's info. I dont think TB will make it just because they are in 3rd place. That division seems to have been slumping while TB been hot lately but I dont think they can keep it up down the stretch. tbh I wouldnt be surprised if only 1 of the 3 teams in the running from the South East div get in. I'd actually be suprised if all 3 make it. :P

I still have faith that the Habs will have a spot, and its looking like the NYI will too. Who gets the last spot just depends on if the Laffs can play better than Atl, Car & TB sucks. The Laffs could get lucky this year. :unsure:

Very good work camarade Wamsley01.

Now knowing the condition of the terrain ahead of ourselves and of our main compititors it

would be interesting to know of our own winning percentage during this last month and the ones relating with our main compititors,...or the teams teams that matter most like ATL, CAR. NYI, TO.

I quess that our present day driving force as measured by our winning percentage of the last few weeks would demonstrated that we are not entering that last stretch with the same positive momentum than the other teams.........and this would negatively widden even more our chances of successes against theirs.

I wish I could feel the excitement for the last stretch......I can see how easy it must be to feel that way

for the fan's of TO and NYI which where out of the picture for most of the season and are suddenly claiming a playoff berth while playing their best hochey of the season........in that respect it was so easy to be excited about the CH the years of 2001-02 and 2003-04 when EVERYTHING at the beginning of the season was pointing out for a desaster season but where somehow able to make something out of nothing......now my feeling is that they had something but wasted it....it's my feeling....and althought I might be innacurate about what they had or just about anything CH right now.....still, it seems I rather prefer going nowdays

to the outside rink instead where the ice is on it's last stretch of usefulness for the season.

Edited by PB

Agree on the job done.

Still, i think Mtl has the toughest run. If you face too many golfing teams or too many Playoffs teams, the battles won't be that hard and physical... no??? On the other hand, facing Playoffs teams means that you could loss many games...

Now we have to beat the Fighting with teams, SPECIALLY the Leafs !!!

Agree on the job done.

Still, i think Mtl has the toughest run. If you face too many golfing teams or too many Playoffs teams, the battles won't be that hard and physical... no??? On the other hand, facing Playoffs teams means that you could loss many games...

Now we have to beat the Fighting with teams, SPECIALLY the Leafs !!!

At least if the habs get in, they will be in fighting shape. We have seen too many teams coast in and then get upset (including the habs beating the bruins like that a few times). having an easy schedule leading to the playoffs can be a disadvantage when it actually starts.

At least if the habs get in, they will be in fighting shape. We have seen too many teams coast in and then get upset (including the habs beating the bruins like that a few times). having an easy schedule leading to the playoffs can be a disadvantage when it actually starts.

True. Well, we have to make the playoffs to do it again in the first round... GO HABS GO Stay in good shape Kovy please! Same for Bégin and Higgins.

I usually find that teams that are destined to be elliminated are often the toughest to play against. They have nothing to lose, and everything to win. They are fighting for their honour, or they are rookies who are finally given a chance to shine. These teams are often playing for their stanley cups now, trying to take down a team that could eventually win the cup ... makes them feel better, and lets them know that next year could be different.

Excellent analysis though!