JMMR

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3156

This is a good trade for you guys.

It's Josh Gorges btw. ;)

I am so excited right now. The only season I liked Rivet was last prior to that I was not a fan of his and this year he has once agin not been one of my favourites.

I hope SJ tanks for the rst of the year so the pick is higher and higher ;)

We now have two 1st round selections in '07. Gainey is known for shipping out a pick and then acquiring one so we don't lose our depth in the draft. Example: Zednik out for a 3rd and Johnson in for a 4th.

Why do we now have two 1st rounders...?

...stay tuned IMO!

The main thing with Gorges is that he's 23. Bob has bolstered a huge organizational weakness by acquiring a bona-fide NHL-ready YOUNG defenceman with room to grow...PLUS a 1st round pick!! :clap: Outstanding.

Gorges will be a depth d-man here, as we already have 6 better d-men (Streit has improved so much!).

But it frees some cap space (Gorges makes 450K vs Rivet 2.47M)... Now Bob is more free to get another player :-)

Still, it's a very nice late chistmas gift that SJ gave us (a 1st for Rivet ahah!)

Good move Bob.

Oh yeah, one other thing - Rivet will help San Jose in their Cup run. Experienced, tough, a leader, and not as defensively bad as people around here like to think. So, good for him, and good for San Jose.

But I still love the trade for us :hockey: Worst case scenario, Gorges replaces Ninimaa as the occasional bench warmer on the D (ensuring that we have good CHEAP depth and allowing us to redirect Ninimaa's bloated salary to other needs). Best case, Gorges - already with two seasons' worth of experience at age 23 - blossoms into a solid, regular defender. Cool.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Hmm. If this is signaling another trade, I don't think it'll be Souray. Dealing two dmen (even though Rivet has been out) that were averaging high minutes for the team doesn't seem to make sense. Seriously, I hope Gainey doesn't trade for a rental player.

Here is a little bit on Gorges.

Sounds like he is a bit slow and not physical...but he doesn't make amny defensive errors. Wait a second. HF says the complete opposite. I guess we will find out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?n...name=nhl-sharks

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/josh_gorges

Or, with an extra first round pick and cap space because of Rivet's rather large contract now off our hands, could this be a precursor to another trade?

Like I said earlier, don't we now have two 1sts in '07? Also, there's your point about cap flexability with $2,470,000 (Rivet) vs. $450,000 (Gorges). That's $2,020,000 in cap difference.

Forsberg and Tkachuk went for what? Two picks and a roster player. The asking prices for the big boys are within this range.

Interesting. Very interesting.

PS. Craig Rivet appreciation thread time. :(

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Think this allows Bob to sign Souray in the offseason...?

It is possible.

Good trade, though...two first rounders this summer and a young D-man that Muller and Jarvis can mould...Bob once again proves his brilliance.

:hlogo:

Man what a brilliant trade. Ironically, this makes me want to deal Souray even more, imagine the value we could get for him if Rivet can fetch us this :o

A little saddening to see such a dedicated player leave the team, thanks for your years of service Craig. :clap:

Well AccuHab I believed that two of Souray Rivet and Markov would be back next season and although Rivet can still be signed in the offseason I believe his time in Montreal is over.

Markov will sign for sure and there have been reports that Gainey wants Souray to stay, it will be interesting.

Josh Gorges Defense

Born Aug 24 1983 -- Kelowna, BC

Height 6.01 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots L

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2000-01 Kelowna Rockets WHL 57 4 6 10 24 6 1 1 2 4

2001-02 Kelowna Rockets WHL 72 7 34 41 74 15 1 7 8 8

2002-03 Kelowna Rockets WHL 54 11 48 59 76 19 3 17 20 16

2003-04 Kelowna Rockets WHL 62 11 31 42 38 17 2 13 15 6

2004-05 Cleveland Barons AHL 74 4 8 12 37 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 San Jose Sharks NHL 49 0 6 6 31 11 0 1 1 4

2005-06 Cleveland Barons AHL 18 2 3 5 12 -- -- -- -- --

2006-07 Worcester Sharks* AHL 7 0 1 1 2

2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 47 1 3 4 26

NHL Totals 96 1 9 10 57 11 0 1 1 4

IST round draft choice nice- I think we will have another trade-

Doesn't mean Rivet may not come back next year but I doubt it after his run-in with Carbonneau- However, hmmm is Gainey gonna become a buyer now

Edited by Strummerman