RIVET TO SJ

JMMR

Is it just me or does Bob never make trades unless he rips the other guy off? Hard to believe he's still so respected around the league. :P

Hahaha.

On paper, the Ribeiro for Niinimaa trade looks bad... but boy oh boy it was great!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorges may only have one NHL goal, but that is one more than Craig Rivet had at the same age. I don't see a lot of difference between Gorges and Matt Carle who everyone seems to be salivating over. It was Carle that the Sharks sent down to the AHL awhile back, not Gorges. They are the same age, the same size, and play a similar style. Carle has more offensive skill, but all round I don't think there is a huge difference in their effectiveness.

They must have thought they were trading for Souray, and Gainey switched names on them... LOL

Very good trade. A couple months without Rivet improves the team's chances of making the playoffs, and we get a player and a 1st round pick for our troubles...

Sweet.

They must have thought they were trading for Souray, and Gainey switched names on them... LOL

Very good trade. A couple months without Rivet improves the team's chances of making the playoffs, and we get a player and a 1st round pick for our troubles...

Sweet.

Ouch! Where's the love? lol

what a way to wake up: rivet traded for a first rounder and a young depth Dman.

anyone know what's Gorges style?? any grit ??

Don't think so. I was talking to a SJ fan and he basically said that Gorges isn't expected to be better then a number 5 d-man in his career, he has really no offensive abilities, gets knocked around alot and can sometimes have brain farts in his own zone. That being said, he is 2nd on the Sharks in blocking shots, he is a decent PKer and he gives effort every night and has a good first pass and is a very smart player who is sound positionally. He is only 22 so there is plenty of time for improvement as well.

Edited by habsfan88

Don't think so. I was talking to a SJ fan and he basically said that Gorges isn't expected to be better then a number 5 d-man in his career, he has really no offensive abilities, gets knocked around alot and can sometimes have brain farts in his own zone. That being said, he is 2nd on the Sharks in blocking shots, he is a decent PKer and he gives effort every night and has a good first pass and is a very smart player who is sound positionally. He is only 22 so there is plenty of time for improvement as well.

sounds good to me.

Apparently he's something like Rivet. He's supposed to have awful puck control. He's the Sharks fans' whooping boy. He's the reason why they want a d-man (/Souray) so badly - he hasn't been able to cut it as a regular.

Well, time will only tell with our new man on D...

...BUT! I think this was a move based on two things- Salary dump AND 1st round pick.

Yes this is a set up to something bigger, but you know what?...that just my own opinion.

Oh, and who says he'll suit up for us? There are (again, my own opinion) more deserving D-men in our system, who knows - maybe he will fill a spot in HAM that was vaccated by a promotion?

I've seen him play, he's not like Rivet at all. First he skates way better, better first pass, how anyone can be the "whipping boy" at age 22 for a Sharks D with alot of talent is redicolous. He'll be fine. If he blocks shots that will help since they give up 34 a game. He brings what the Ahbs need, good skater, moves the puck and youth. Know one on the habs is physical including Rivet.

I've seen him play, he's not like Rivet at all. First he skates way better, better first pass, how anyone can be the "whipping boy" at age 22 for a Sharks D with alot of talent is redicolous. He'll be fine. If he blocks shots that will help since they give up 34 a game. He brings what the Ahbs need, good skater, moves the puck and youth. Know one on the habs is physical including Rivet.

Ridiculous or not he IS the whipping boy. Ask any SHarks fan and they'll tell you he's the worst player on the team and they'll also blame their defeat to Edmonton in the playoffs on him (he made a blunder on a game-winning goal). Whether he's deserving of the title or not he is their whipping boy. They also like to hate Mark Bell who went from 1st line LW to 4th line center in half a season. I expect Gorges to be a cheaper Niinimaa. But it doesn't really matter - the deal was made for the pick (and possibly to dump salary), I bet Wilson asked to give us Gorges back to reduce the salary intake.

Ridiculous or not he IS the whipping boy. Ask any SHarks fan and they'll tell you he's the worst player on the team and they'll also blame their defeat to Edmonton in the playoffs on him (he made a blunder on a game-winning goal). Whether he's deserving of the title or not he is their whipping boy. They also like to hate Mark Bell who went from 1st line LW to 4th line center in half a season. I expect Gorges to be a cheaper Niinimaa. But it doesn't really matter - the deal was made for the pick (and possibly to dump salary), I bet Wilson asked to give us Gorges back to reduce the salary intake.

C'mon, you're from Montreal, and you claim to know shark fans that have decided a young player like Gorges is their whipping boy. Why don't we just wait and see what he can do. Hey, he blocks shots, that's an upgrade in my books.

C'mon, you're from Montreal, and you claim to know shark fans that have decided a young player like Gorges is their whipping boy. Why don't we just wait and see what he can do. Hey, he blocks shots, that's an upgrade in my books.

Exactly. In Montreal, we bash every player on the team so we take it in stride. In other cities, if Gorges is the only guy on the team who's head they call for... well that shows something. I went to the Sharks boards and between posts telling us that no matter what else was in the deal, the Habs still got fleeced for taking Gorges (a little harsh) I found a couple of levelheaded posts on the guy:

"Upside? His absolute ceiling is a solid defensive guy.

Unless he put on about 20-30 LBS of muscle, he's probably destined for that role.

He plays a defensive game..usually unsuccessfully. He's not very big and get worked along the boards every night. He has skills to be a solid defenseman, but won't get a chance to show it if he doesn't bulk up."

"You are going to get differing opinions. Gorges IMO is a decent PK guy and is willing to sacrifice his body to make a play. He is a little undersized but still young. He has played #4 time for us ES, and on the PK. He is an OK skater but really isnt very good at carrying or protecting the puck. He has been somewhat of a whipping boy for many posters but he still has upside. I think its a good trade for you."

Gorges has more NHL games and points than Rivet did at the same age. The Sharks demoted Carle to the AHL earlier this season and kept Gorges on the roster, so he can't be all that bad. The Shark fans are dumping on all of their defensemen as far as I can see. Hannan, McLaren, Carle, Murray, Ehrhof, just as much as Gorges. If I recall, Souray's NHL numbers at the age of 22 weren't much different from Gorges. As I mentioned, he is ahead of Rivet, as well as Bouillon obviously, and Komisarek at the same age in terms of NHL expereince and points. Probably Markov as well, since Andrei didn't even come to North America until he was 22.

Well, time will only tell with our new man on D...

...BUT! I think this was a move based on two things- Salary dump AND 1st round pick.

Yes this is a set up to something bigger, but you know what?...that just my own opinion.

Oh, and who says he'll suit up for us? There are (again, my own opinion) more deserving D-men in our system, who knows - maybe he will fill a spot in HAM that was vaccated by a promotion?

Speaking of? What's Cote been doing? I mean he ;ooked ready for a job last year.

Even if Gorges was SJ's worst player... Rivet was our worst player. We trade our problem for their problem and get a 1st rounder and save a lot of salary.

Right. No matter how bad Gorges is I still think it was an incredible deal. Just don't get too excited about Gorges. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of our whipping boys.

As to comparing Gorges with guys like Komisarek and Markov, there is a big difference between a young player and a young player with tons of potential to grow even more. It's like comparing Kositsyn/Perezhogin to Balej/Marcel Hossa. Gorges' ceilings aren't very high. He's basically a bottom pairing d-man at best. Atleast he's not a pylon like Rivet was (and he's cheap too).

Just an idea...

Mathieu Biron - 57 GP 6 G 26 A 32 PTS +11 72 PIM 5 PPG

6'6" - 230 lbs.

(Of course these are stats with HAM...)

He would sure add size and grit to our D-line IMO.

Brion couldn't crack the lineup in washington and florida...why should he make it in montreal ??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damnit.

He was a good man, he will be missed.

Edited by Cataclaw

Big Bob has done it again. I don't know how he got a 1st and gorges for rivet but if he hadn't taken that trade he should be fired. I like rivet but limited declining skills were not the answer for us. Maybe this kid ain't that good but maybe he can learn. Rivet ain't so good and no time left to learn. Hell of a deal but probably not done yet.

So long Craig Thanks for time you spent here you were a true habs at heart, and maybe you can come back if you want to and the money is right. I will always admire your heart and determination if not your skill level.

The more I think about this, the more I think this deal is outstanding. To twist what someone said earlier, would you trade Rivet for Nagy? Rivet's body has been breaking down badly, but he could play another decade and only get better for all we know. But he's UFA in three months. We can resign him MORE easily than anyone else if we want him for next year. Look at Carolina's big UFA rentals last year. Both went back. And in return we get a first rounder and a guy BG says can play.

Kovalev for Balej. Say what you will about Kovalev, who the hell is Balej? Begin off waivers. Boullion off waivers. Kept Streit instead of Hainsey because he saw something in Streit, and he was right.

Gainey makes mistakes. He signed Samsonov. He traded away Iginla. He signed Audette and then dumped him to us. He overpayed for Turgeon but then again Turgeon's had a pretty good run in Dallas, albeit not as a bigtime point getter.

Big picture he turned the perennial loser North Stars into the perennial winner Dallas Stars. How many cup finals has he been to as a player, Coach and GM.? Who else has a record of success in ALL THREE JOBS to better Bob Gainey's? Seriously. This guy is an elite GM and today's deal is proof of it.