RIVET TO SJ

JMMR

I'll miss Rivet, he's like an old friend after all these years... but a first rounder and a stand-up defenseman who used to be a captain and has played on the World Junior team is a sweet deal in my opinion. There's no reason Rivet won't come back to Montreal in the off-season either if they want him back. He was treated well and has friends here. Recchi did a similar thing in re-signing with Pittsburgh.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll miss Rivet, he's like an old friend after all these years... but a first rounder and a stand-up defenseman who used to be a captain and has played on the World Junior team is a sweet deal in my opinion. There's no reason Rivet won't come back to Montreal in the off-season either if they want him back. He was treated well and has friends here. Recchi did a similar thing in re-signing with Pittsburgh.

carbo likely doesnt want him back.

Craig Rivet had a lot of heart ... sometimes too much, which got him in to penalty trouble. Also, he has been declining in skill in recent years. I like the guy, but it was time to move on.

Looking forward to seeing if this trade was worth it. It will probably take a few years to figure out seeing as Gorges is so young. Apparently he needs to put on some muscle.

So with Kovalev and Begin out - Bonk wears an 'A'.

Rivet's not re-signing here, by the way, which is for the best. If you look at his comments during the press conference, still seems a little miffed over the healthy scratch, he's looking forward to a change in scenery so to speak, and the feeling is probably mutual.

the first was so we wouldnt trade souray to another team in the west..i put money on it.. lol

This could be very true. Keep in mind everyone Sharks are going to finish high in the standings so the pick is going to be late round. Not that great but beter than I thought Montreal would get for Rivet.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Gorges wasn't drafted in 02, but his record improves sharply after that point. Captain of a Memorial Cup winning team, World Junior silver medalist, made it to the NHL after only one season in the A.

I'm not saying he's a potential star, but he's also more than just a prospect, he's a legitimate young NHL stay at home defenceman.

I agree with those who think this deal's been in the works for a while, hence both players being healthy scratches recently. I just don't see how Bob could say no to a deal like this. Was anyone here crying about the idea that Rivet might not be here next year? I like the guy, but I really don't see him as irreplaceable. I also don't put him in the same category as Tkachuk, Forsberg etc. Not even close, frankly. SJ was willing to overpay, I guess.

Craig Rivet had a lot of heart ... sometimes too much, which got him in to penalty trouble. Also, he has been declining in skill in recent years. I like the guy, but it was time to move on.

Looking forward to seeing if this trade was worth it. It will probably take a few years to figure out seeing as Gorges is so young. Apparently he needs to put on some muscle.

Watching the game vs NYIsl, I came to conclude the total opposite... you want a guy with some heart, Rivet is a work horse and will give you some heart...

You want guys with toughness, gritt, and lot of heart... Sean Hill and Brendan Witt are the guys.

Gorges may not have been drafted (probably because he was about 175 pounds at the time), but he signed an NHL contract in September of 2002 before most of the drafted players, just a month after he turned 18. If he had waited another year, I think he would have been a fairly high pick, he scored over a point per game and was a WHL All Star the following season.

Gainey made a good point in terms of the short term effect of Gorges vs. Rivet in saying that they were getting a fully healthy defenseman in exchange for one coming off a debilitating few weeks on the injury list. At this point in time a single goal from a single mistake can mean the difference between making the playoffs or not. Overall there is probably less chance of Gorges making that mistake over the next few games than Rivet.

I will be happy if this kid can make an outlet pass. At least it would make 50% of our D-men who can do it. I am tired of the panic slap it off the boards and hope for the best routine.

Interesting deal!

San Jose get's a right handed defenceman with lots of experince. Since he's a UFA at season end I think they made a good deal.

Montreal gets a first rounder and a young defenceman with NHL experince! That's something much needed! Habs also dumped some salary.

Saku Koivu's play won't be affected. He's a pro. I expect nothing other from out captain who now is the longest serving team member. Funny thing. Guess who's second? Franky B.

But the real questions starts with this trade... What's the purpose? Salary dump so they can keep guys like Souray? Use the pick like bait to get a second line center? Or have the scouting staff seen somthing I have missed? I tought this comming draft was so-so?

Thank you Bacchus !!

Maybe playing is wrong side was the reason why he had some blunders in defensive situation.

I always believed tha a defenseman should play on his natural side, but the problem for this year is that we too many left handed defense.

Markov, Souray, Bouillon, Streit are lefties so are Emelin, Valatenko.

A couple of notes from Rivet interviews:

1) He did not ask for a trade

2) He does not intend to come back here during the summer

I doubt that Rivet returns to Montreal. All those people aren't flocking to live in California for no good reason.

I agree, Rivet won't be returning to the Habs club. His career with the Canadiens is for sure done. Hopefully not... I miss Rivs already :(

As much as Rivet did for the Habs over his lengthy stay here, i am happy we are going in a new direction with regards to him. He play was slowly dropping in the new NHL, and like i've said before, much rather have Streit in there. Now, we just have to get rid of Boullion!