RIVET TO SJ

JMMR

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! I guess Souray has now more chance to remain a Habs! So the rumours between SJ and MTL were somehow relevent. I'm happy to see we had to give Rivet, and not Souray, for a 1st.

Still, by trading Rivet, I don't think the Habs becomes a seller. It was a great opportunity for them. Rivet was going to be UFA anyways. And we have depth at D.

:

Gorges was captain of the Kelowna Rocket when they won the Memorial Cup in 2004. The next year he was named AHL rookie of the year... I guess he has some potential.

Where the Hell did you hear that? :lol::lol:

Gorges was captain of the Kelowna Rocket when they won the Memorial Cup in 2004. The next year he was named AHL rookie of the year... I guess he has some potential.

Best Rookie of his AHL team, not of the league :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Gorges

Awards

* 2003-2004: Memorial Cup - George Parsons Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike Player)

* 2003-2004: WHL - West First All-Star Team

* 2004: Junior World Championships-Silver medal

* 2004-2005: Cleveland Barons rookie of the year

* 2004-2005: San Jose Sharks Rubbermaid “Player of the Year” (along with Doug Murray)

Gainey is addressing the media at 7:00

Let's hope he doesn't say this is only move. Let's hope he announces another trade :clap:

I bet it is to announce a contract extension for Markov or something like that.

Thank Sakiqc makes more sense now.

Edited by JMMR

Very good trade by Gainey.

Rivet will be missed, despite what some say he was a warrior who played his heart out for the Canadiens.

Nice return, and hopefully Souray can be re-signed for a reasonable amount.

I agree, Rivet bled for the team, but just think what we can get with 2 million cap room and an extra first pick.. rent-a-player.. and then sign Souray and Markov (this makes at least 4 million in free cap spacee after we let Niinimaa walk at the end of the season).

I loved Rivet's work ethic and his loyalty to the organization but - :clap::clap::clap:

Without a doubt, he was the one defenceman I had most hoped Gainey would lose amongst the three everyone has debated here. Every time Rivet and Souray were together was an adventure to say the least..... a disaster waiting to happen!

As for Gorges, haven't seen much of him so no real opinion to offer at this time. He's young and certainly has some potential according to the reports. Sounds like Gainey got good value for what he sold in this case?

I wish Rivet all the best - he served this team well and faithfully throughout the years :clap:

I bet it is to announce a contract extension for Markov or something like that.

Thank Sakiqc makes more sense now.

Well I read somehwere that both Markov and Souray want to sign 4-5 year contracts for around 4 million/year each. That sounds like a great deal to me.

Well I read somehwere (maybe that guy Garrioch) that both Markov and Souray want to sign 4-5 year contracts for around 4 million/year each. That sounds like a great deal to me.

I wish it were from a source other than Garrioh because most of the stuff coming out of his mouth is vomit.

I wish it were from a source other than Garrioh because most of the stuff coming out of his mouth is vomit.

I edited my post because I can't remember where I heard that...but I share your sentiments on Garrioch. B)

I will miss Rivet, a true blooded habs that gave his heart for this team. Even if he was strugling this year.

I am happy in the return though. We get a cheap, young defensively responsible player with lots of potential and a first rounder.

I hope Bob trades Souray too, he will fetch much more and we can still resign him in the off season.

Gorges is 22, not 23. He was born August of 1984. Seems like a real solid kid. Captain of the Kelowna Rockets (ahead of teammate Shea Weber), an undrafted free agent who made the Canadian WJC team in 2004, amongst a group of first and second round picks like Phaneuf, Seabrook, Coburn, Belle, Klein. Played most of the season in the NHL as a 21 year old. He is younger than habs properties like Ryan O'Byrne, Jon Gleed, etc. in Hamilton, and has two years of NHL experience already.

The way San Jose is going at the moment, the first round pick may turn out to be pretty decent as well. Currently they are drafting around 22 or 23 overall and slipping. :D

I don't think it will be hard to replace Rivet's play on the ice - steady, average, dependable, but at $2.3 million?

Other's will have to step up to replace his dedication and leadership and he bled red, white and blue.

On the other hand, we have Gorges who won't be a UFA for another 5 years!

lets see...we gave up a guy with a lot of heart..a guy who sticks up for his team mates and is willing to drop the gloves with anyone...a guy who wanted to be a habs...a guy who wore our jersey with pride.....in return we got Patrick Traverse Jr. and a first round pick in a draft year that is suppose to be weak.

Well I read somehwere that both Markov and Souray want to sign 4-5 year contracts for around 4 million/year each. That sounds like a great deal to me.

Man, if you could sign Souray for 4 mil, that would be the steal of the century. Which is why it won't happen :rolleyes:

Actually, Gorges seems very much like Rivet in size, style, and personality. 10 years younger and shoots from the left side are the main differences. Rivet was always an overacheiver type as well. Though he was drafted in the third round, he spent a lot longer in the AHL than Gorges has.

At the age of 22....Craig Rivet - 6-2, 195, 35 games, 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points.

Josh Gorges - 6-1, 195, 47 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points.

Edited by bobby

Like most have said, Rivet was a heart and soul habs. It's sad to see him go, but his skill were declining and at a UFA salary that he will command he was not going to be back. Add in the return in the deal and it's a no brainer.

Gorges is 22 with 90 games of NHL experience averaging about 17 minutes a night for SJ at a league minimum deal. He seems to be rather weak but solid positionally.

I see our D like this next year right now.

1. Markov (if we can re-sign him)

2. Sourray or UFA (we might re-sign him or take a run at another UFA there are many)

3. Komisarek (RFA - maybe 1.5)

4. Streit (has improved by leaps and bounds and at only 600k)

5. Dandenault (good skater usually solid - 1.7)

6. Bouillon (sometimes good sometimes bad, will either be dealt or given another shot at 1.8)

7. Gorges (able to fill in if needed and cheap at 450K)

This is reasonable. We now only have 2 UFA Dmen that need to be re-signed or replaced. Streit has been a pleasant surprise. Bouillon may be the next to be moved. At his salary he is greatly overpaid, but BG may give him another shot with a full training camp etc...

Two observations :

Gorges is a lefty... what does it mean for the rest of the corp? Bye bye Bouillon??? (or Souray or Markov...?)

Rivet didn't deliver what he was paid to... Toughness and steady play... That's what we want from a stay at home dman, but toughness not often enough and pretty unsteady this season... particularly after watching a guy like Witt... now that's toughness and that's a true stay at home D!

I prefer having a guy like Streit playing at RD instead of Rivet... at least he can fill his role!