RIVET TO SJ

JMMR

Always loved Rivet - he always gives his best, every shift. I hate to lose a guy like that because he really understood what it was to be a Canadien.

However, he's struggled significantly this season and, between he and Souray, the two were responsible for a large percentage of the teams giveaways in their own zone. There was also the falling out with Carbo earlier this season which must have played at least a small part in this decision.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kept Streit instead of Hainsey because he saw something in Streit, and he was right.

I'd agree that Streit over Hainsey was the right choice, but only because I don't think Hainsey would have done anything in Montreal. He was a guy who needed a change of scenery. He's done well for himself in Columbus. I think things worked out for both teams there.

He traded away Iginla.

True, though he traded him for Nieuwendyk, who was a big part of their Cup winning team.

TAKEN FROM HOCKEYBUZZ

8:48:STL trying to Sign Guerin, Montreal enters sweeps. Berard to NJ (e3)

Today @ 7:33 PM ET | Comments (187)

Blues will make a big pitch to sign Guerin tomorrow according to sources...

According to a source, that #1 pick just grabbed by Montreal from San Jose, may have been picked up to get into the Guerin Sweeps ...Detroit is very much involved as well, in fact I am making them the favorite on my Chart...Ottawa is a bit of an outside shot, but there is no question that the Sens are focused on Roberts..I will say this, Tkachuk going to the East has opened up the Guerin Sweeps quite a bit. I had one source tell me that Anaheim had pulled out stating "the price for Guerin is to much."

There are quite a few people who really believe that Guerin could go tonight or tomorrow....

There is also a growing rumor that there may be a push to re-sign Bill in St. Louis now that Tkachuk has been resolved. That is gaining momentum, although I would believe the temptation to move him and bring him back must be very strong...

We are nearing Pulaski, NY on our trek to Toronto, stopping at Arby's near 81 ...weather has cleared up for now, however the snow drifts are immense in this parking lot! You folks really got slammed last week.

more to come...Canada is in our sites...I am driving up with EJ Russell, hockeybuzz podcaster...

Great move by BG!

A first rounder and a young kid that can play D for us immediately.

Clearing cap space was also a nice bonus.

It remains to see if he can make the most important move in my mind... which is a true scoring center or power forward that is a player that would be a game breaker...

Yes, Guerin would be a nice fit, but can the habs pull out a blockbuster and will anyone want to join us when we are fighting for a bottom end playoff spot?

Not sure about any of theses rumours but I do believe that BG is playing his cards well; keep it up.

GO HABS GO!

Wow... Never thought Rivet would be worth that much. It's almost a better return then when we traded Malakhov to NJ for Souray and scraps. 2 first round picks can make many differences.

But... Did Rivet asked for a trade, that's what I'd like to know.

I wonder who'll replace him as an assistant captain.

Props to BG

Much needed move, I didn't like rivet much in the first place and the pricetag to go with.

Not sure who this kid is, If you ask me I'd use the sharks picks and this kid in another deal if we can get one!!

Can you imagine how Souray is feeling tonight? Rivet was his room mate? I bet you his hands are trembling, and he's not going to sleep well tonight. It was a good run for Rivet, but the move Gainey made had to be done. He was too slow and underachieved for his price. I hope to see a lot more activity by Tuesday Afternoon!

GO :hlogo:

It's a sellers market, it's obvious now. Imagine what Gainey might get if he starts dangling Souray on the market... But then, don't trading Rivet means Gainey wants Souray back and is making room for him to but more of a leader?

Either way, it'll be interesting to see if that's the only move Bob makes.

Wow... Never thought Rivet would be worth that much. It's almost a better return then when we traded Malakhov to NJ for Souray and scraps. 2 first round picks can make many differences.

...the article on TSN implies as much doesnt it?

Bonk Has already for 4 games now

wow it always feels weird to visit the trading teams site

http://www.sjsharks.com/index2.html

Im sad for seeing him go but it was better for the habs.. and specially it would have become ugly... as I believe Gainey would have offered Rivet a 3 year deal at 1 mil per season

Who knows maybe we will see him again in the near future... (back in the habs that is)

Thanks Rivet for the blood sweat and tears!!

GO Habs GO!!

I think that both players in the deal are getting a lot of unwarranted criticism. Heart and soul defensemen with 10 years of NHL experience like Rivet are not exactly dropping off trees. As for Gorges, he was the runnerup to Dion Phaneuf as the top WHL defenseman in 2004, played for Team Canada at the WJC, and has 2 full seasons of NHL experience at the age of 22. He is younger than habs prospects like Grabovski, Locke, O'Byrne, Gleed, Cote, Ferland, Lambert, etc. Just a couple months older than Cory Urquhart, and half a year older than Kostitsyn. You can't expect him to be a top NHL defenseman at that age.

Edited by bobby

After Stephane Quintal was traded (retired) to LA, Craig Rivet replaced him as the "blood and guts" of the team, never hesitating to step in when smaller teammates were targets of intimidation from the opposition........for his dedication to the CH, I salute him and wish him the best of luck in SJ.

As for Saku's on-ice peformance being affected by this, I predict he will have his best game of the year tomorrow vs the leafs.....after all he's been through, please give him more credit for being the professional and quality person that he is.

Gorges may have been "scratched" the past couple of games, but so coincidentally was Rivet. Or at least he took a long time to get over the flu. I don't think this deal was put together just in the past few hours. Matter of fact I think that there was a deal in place for Rivet when he was "scratched" a couple of weeks back that may have fallen through or been delayed. Hopefully the same holds true for Kovalev, but that would be too much to expect.

during his illness, it was bonk.

Funny thing about Gorges going undrafted in 2002 is that he has played more NHL games than all of the Sharks draft picks that year combined. By quite a wide margin. Only Kris Newbury finally played a few NHL games this season (for the Leafs) out of all their picks. It doesn't look much like any of them will make it to the NHL down the road either. :blink: In terms of NHL games played he isn't far behind the cumulative total of all the Montreal picks that year, as well. Chris Higgins has probably played 30 or 40 more NHL games to this point, but he is more than a year older than Gorges. No other habs pick from that draft is likely to make it to the NHL.

edit - I forgot about Ferland, who has played 7 NHL games.

The exact totals are Josh Gorges - 96 NHL games, ALL San Jose 2002 draft picks - 15 NHL games, ALL Montreal 2002 draft picks - 134 games. But as I said, Gorges is more than a year younger than Higgins and Ferland as well.

Edited by bobby

I'm hinting that Gorges might be able to play RD, although he's a Lefty...

I just looked at SJ's roster, and besides Rivet, they don't have any Righty at D... so some lefty had to play RD...

Pretty sure that Gorges was playing the right side. He was paired with Scott Hannan most often. But that may have been more out of necessity than choice.

Go Bob Go!!

Nice deal :D

I liked Rivet, but he had to go. His +/- this year is pathetic, currently -7, but he plays a lot of PP and Habs are 2nd best in the league. Rivet's 5 on 5 play was awefull this year.

My break down:

SJ get a much needed experienced D man, who has decent playoff experience. Ironically I think Rivet would most likely be their oldest player now (SJ youngest team in NHL) and would increase the teams avg age by several years.

Habs get a young D prosepct who will probably never amount to anything great but it gives Habs extra D, so they can keep playing Striet up. Also gives Habs same amount of non Quebec Frenchies, always a plus. This deal also makes Bobs job in the summer easier, can now focus on resigning Markov and Souray. The best part about this deal is it now gives Bob a 1st rnd pick to dump on some sucker GM on their ridiculous asking price for a player we will be picking up shortly.

Stay tuned to find out from Bob who's gunna be the next contestent on flip that pick :clap:

In Bob I trust!! :hlogo:

I'm hinting that Gorges might be able to play RD, although he's a Lefty...

I just looked at SJ's roster, and besides Rivet, they don't have any Righty at D... so some lefty had to play RD...

TSN says he shoots left

ESPN says he shoots right.

NHLPA says he shoots left.

NHL says heshoots left.

Sportsnet says he shoots right.

And on EA Sports he shoots left.

So i will go with the majority and say he is lefty...until i see him play.

TSN says he shoots left

ESPN says he shoots right.

NHLPA says he shoots left.

NHL says heshoots left.

Sportsnet says he shoots right.

And on EA Sports he shoots left.

So i will go with the majority and say he is lefty...until i see him play.

Have a look at his picture, he shoots left:

5715_1.jpg