Game Thread | Canadiens vs. New York | 02/27/07

Spider-Man NL

This team's effort is discusting. No drive to win. they have all the skill in the world but they decide to float around and only throw their weight around every 5 games.

Good news is that T.o is down 2-0.

Montreal better wake up now

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that gets me, if they traded Souray I would look at this team and figure the season is over so if they go on a run it is gravy. Now, if they don't make the playoffs this season becomes a ######ing disaster.

So BOB, they better make the playoffs!!

Very true, the playoffs would have been a bonus and we could still have our cake for next year. Now we will either pay through the nose for souray or lose him for nothing. With gutless moves like this we will never get the franchise players we need.

Now at best all we have to look forward to is a early playoff exit and the same next year. :clap:

Very true, the playoffs would have been a bonus and we could still have our cake for next year. Now we will either pay through the nose for souray or lose him for nothing. With gutless moves like this we will never get the franchise players we need.

Now at best all we have to look forward to is a early playoff exit and the same next year. :clap:

I am caught between extremely disappointed and angry.

If we traded Souray for the future and missed the playoffs I would tune in next season and get excited about the development of a young team.

Not another season of this please!

I can't take the lack of creativity offensively, and the lack of passion.

Bring your lunch pail and bust your ass. And if you lose at least I know it is because that talent level is not there, not because you couldn't be bothered!

Remember the 2000 team that was coached by Vigneault and lost 4-500 games due to injuries and they almost made the playoffs, I think they missed by 2 points. We stunk, but they gave it there all every night.

Edited by Wamsley01

It's horrible watching Bouillon and Dandenault out there. They are completely inept in their own zone.

I usually try and defend them but......I can do so no longer. They are both bad tonight period. I welcome the opportunity to see Josh Gorges next game.

And the goaltending??? I can't believe that Gainey did nothing to address that after Abby's play yesterday. I don't expect too much from Halak especially considering the team is doing nothing in front of him tonight.

As for the lack of trading Sourray, I was back and forth on whether to deal him or not for the last month but I came to one conclusion that I was happy with, it was simply as follows:

If you are going to keep him, make a couple of other moves (even if nothing huge, although smyth would've been nice) and supplement parts of the team to go for the playoffs. If you are going to do nothing and not add anything except a waiver goalie might as well deal him and cash in on the returns of the sellers market. To do neither is extremely frustrating.

I'd much rather get Briere for 6M then to re-sign Sourray for that.

At this point the only thing i can look forward to is getting a Briere, Smyth or a player of that ilk who has talent and work ethic and leadership as a UFA.

I am caught between extremely disappointed and angry.

If we traded Souray for the future and missed the playoffs I would tune in next season and get excited about the development of a young team.

Not another season of this please!

I can't take the lack of creativity offensively, and the lack of passion.

Bring your lunch pail and bust your ass. And if you lose at least I know it is because that talent level is not there, not because you couldn't be bothered!

It's complacentcy, this team knows they are safe as long as they play with minimal effort, win once in awhile and as long as they dont finish dead last no one is getting moved. We have a select few that show up regularily but nothing amazing.

Me I am feeling angry and yet think I shouldnt be suprised because this is the same thing we have dealt with for 15 years. No effort is inexcusable.

I usually try and defend them but......I can do so no longer. They are both bad tonight period. I welcome the opportunity to see Josh Gorges next game.

And the goaltending??? I can't believe that Gainey did nothing to address that after Abby's play yesterday. I don't expect too much from Halak especially considering the team is doing nothing in front of him tonight.

As for the lack of trading Sourray, I was back and forth on whether to deal him or not for the last month but I came to one conclusion that I was happy with, it was simply as follows:

If you are going to keep him, make a couple of other moves (even if nothing huge, although smyth would've been nice) and supplement parts of the team to go for the playoffs. If you are going to do nothing and not add anything except a waiver goalie might as well deal him and cash in on the returns of the sellers market. To do neither is extremely frustrating.

I'd much rather get Briere for 6M then to re-sign Sourray for that.

At this point the only thing i can look forward to is getting a Briere, Smyth or a player of that ilk who has talent and work ethic and leadership as a UFA.

Yes, but even if we do sign Briere, we could have had something for Souray! If we miss the playoffs we get no satisfaction from this season and no satisfaction if Souray walks and no satisfaction because we have no cap space if Souray resigns. We took a Win/Win situation and created 3 no win situations???

Does this seem like the moves of a shrewd GM. I thought Gainey was, this is something Ferguson would do

Edited by Wamsley01

The thing that gets me, if they traded Souray I would look at this team and figure the season is over so if they go on a run it is gravy. Now, if they don't make the playoffs this season becomes a ######ing disaster.

So BOB, they better make the playoffs!!

I think the only explanation is that Bob felt he could re-sign Souray.

I think the only explanation is that Bob felt he could re-sign Souray.

I don't know if I want him to be re-signed.

The worst part about this entire situation is it is because Gainey's policy to not discuss contract extensions during the season. Had he not had such a policy he could have done the same thing as Edmonton, tried to negotiate an extension and if you cannot then trade him. Since he refuses to do so we don't even know if Sourray would re-sign or not and we don't even know around how much he would want.

That is the MOST frustrating part to me. It's all If this and If that and it didn't have to be.

Souray blah blah

You are right, I have said my piece. I will not talk about Souray anymore. At least the Leafs are getting spanked!

If we are going down, lets bring them with us :)

holy smokes you guys. we do not know what the situation was. I am sure that if Bob thought he could get a good deal for Souray he would have traded him. Apparently it wasn't there for whatever reason. I too wanted a deal to be made but it didn't happen that does not mean that suddenly Bob is an idiot. He is the general manager and that means long term is his job. The coach is the day to day guy who works with the gm to get the talent he needs to win the cup. They did not see an opportunity to that. BOB HAS NEVER BEEN A LOSER AND HE NEVER WILL BE. Have faith no matter how hard that is.

Pretty sad tonight. The leafs have a horrible schedule this week and the habs have some easy games.. too bad they don't show up and get the points...

Typical undisciplined, low effort, no finish game for the habs...

I think he just didn't get a good enough offer for Shelly. The Sharks were in it, but they needed a right side defenseman much more than a left side guy. It probably boiled down to paying what they did for Rivet, and balancing their defense a bit, or paying a lot more for Souray and still having no right handed shots on the blueline. Next in line was Anaheim and I think that Burke thought he could get Shelly at a bargain price (by this year's standards), but Gainey wouldn't budge. Burke is still living in the past and usually talks himself into a corner. He has been griping for years about the cost of rental players, and now he can't pony up for a decent one without looking like an idiot. I think Gainey was prepared to go either way with Souray, but didn't get an offer that made it worthwhile to move him.

Not a big deal. 90% of the time the teams that load up at the deadline are out by the second round, and few if any of the draft picks help the team down the road. Look what Atlanta traded Braydon Coburn for. He was 5th overall pick or something, and is still just 21. Jack Johnson was dealt before he even turned pro. Same with Ryan O'Marra.